Cross Bows

His Tough Shell

(Present)
A farm house finally comes into view of my tired eyes. It looked like a pretty little place, for the apocalypse of course. I was introduce to everyone and was told to figure out where I’d be sleeping. My eyes cut to Dixon. Who’s fidgeting in his place kind of out side of the group circle. He hasn’t changed one bit.

“I’ll be more than happy to sleep with Dixon here. That way I’m only taking up his space.” I send a look to him.
“Come on.” He groans.
“Man up Dixon..

Everyone looked way too surprised at how I was speaking to him, he probably gave them his hard ass image. Which I saw right past, because I’ve seen that man in a light no one else has. But I’d never let on to anyone else I had. He still played hard to get, even though he knew I would get my way. He almost had a soft spot for me in his hardened heart.
“Then it’s settled.” The one named Rick says, smiling in Dixon’s direction.

Rick and Hershel struck me as the leaders. They have that same over powering, father, leader feel about them. Hershel is their own personal doctor, well, vet really, but he knows a thing or two about taking care of people. Rick is there with his wife, son, and best friend. What makes him so special that he gets people he loves in the end of the world? Why can’t my best friend be here? I really need to stop being so bitter, and just thankful I have a place to live.

Walking up the hill with Dixon, I can hear him grumbling to himself the whole way. Way up on the top of the hill, we finally reach a little tent, that I easily recognized as one from his childhood. “Don’t you think it’s time for a new tent doll?” My voice changed back to it’s warm and kind tone he should remember well. He just shrugs at me, tossing his arrows down by his fire pit. “Still talk just as much as before I see.” I grumble.

His eyes lock onto me. “How’d ya make it out there Dean?”
“Cut the hard ass attitude Dixon. Your friends aren’t here. And if you remember correct, you taught me how to hunt. I just lived off that.”
His eyes narrow like he forgot about our past, all those long nights.

Just as I was about to give up trying to break back through his hard shell, he embraces me in a spine crushing hug. He still smells the exact same as I remember. Sweat, blood, and a slight hint of cigarette smoke. His body feels almost the same, if anything more muscle has formed. Out of instinct, I wrap my arms tight around his stomach.

“I thought I’d never see you again.” He whispers against the side of my head.
“I’m here now honey.” My warm tone back.
He tightens his grip, “I thought I was alone again.”
“I’m here.” I just keep repeating. With him, it takes a few times for it to get through his thick skull.
“Merle’s gone.” He continues.
“What?” I pull back slightly so I can look up into his eyes.

He slowly tells me the story of how he was left handcuffed to a roof in Atlanta. His eyes starting to glaze over, from sadness. Before me, Merle was the only person Daryl had. It was always them, nights his father got drunk and would start shit, they would sneak off together. But Merle wasn’t always the best person, he’d smack Daryl around some, force feed him beer and whatever else he felt like. But he was also gone a lot in Daryl’s life, leaving him to deal with their abusive father.

“I’m so sorry honey, we will find him. If he cut his hand off, he’s tough enough to survive a little longer, and if I know Merle like I do, he will be just fine.” I say, trying to comfort him like I used to.
“Ya, but Sophia is also missin’, everyone more focused on her than my brother, kinda accepted might not see him again.” His eyes still locked on the empty fire pit.

Daryl’s eyes hold the emotion his face and stance hide. If you know him well enough, you can see it plain as day. That’s why he tries his hardest to never look me in the eyes, he doesn’t like that I have figured out how to read him. “It’s ok honey.” I try to reassure him, he nods, but his eyes say he doesn’t believe a word I’m saying. I can feel my poor knees tired of standing in the locked position, but Daryl needs someone to hug him, I’m sure he hasn’t gotten many of those since he’s been without me. Everyone is so scared by him.

“I’ll set up Merle’s old cot in my tent.” He says, breaking the silence and pulling out of my arms. Which now felt so empty.
“I’m not sleeping in that nasty thing.”
“Come on Van, I’m not sleeping in it. You and I both know what Merle done in there.”
“Then we will have to share Daryl.” I hardly use his first name, and when I do, his eyes look a little brighter.

He grins just a little at me saying that. He starts to pile wood into the pit, here in Georgia, it always gets insanely cold at night. Daryl is the same, a little colder, but, he is still the Daryl that I accidently fell in love with. I never thought I’d get to see him again, be in his arms, or tell him the truth. I figured him and Merle high tailed it out after a while of the world ending. I still remember those lovely nights with him, sneaking out to go see each other.
But I won’t say it first, I don’t really know how he feels about me, but I don’t really think it’s in that manner.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it took so long for an update! I've been in GA, PA, and all over for awhile now. But, hopefully I'll be able to keep things up to date!