‹ Prequel: If I Knew

And So I Know

Fifteen

Brie leaned into Derick as the collective group of Dan's past and present teammates shouted and clapped loudly as he dipped Lennon back into a kiss. She smiled as he righted her and Lennon grabbed his face in her hands, kissing him before the minister announced them as husband and wife.

"That was beautiful," Brie whispered as Lennon and Dan walked back down the aisle hand in hand.

Derick squeezed her hand in his. "Yes it was." They followed the other guests out and headed inside the large barn where the reception was being held. Brie gasped as they stepped inside, turning to look at everything as Derick led the way.

"Taking notes?" He teased.

"You have no idea. I'm doing a wedding in the fall at the Cloisters and I think my bride would love some of these touches."

"Always working."

"Like you haven't been all summer. What do you spend, like three hours at the gym every day?"

"Point taken. Come on, I see Marc and Felicia." He led them through the open space until they reached the other couple. Felicia hugged them both, looking radiant with her very pregnant belly.

"Fe, I can't believe you traveled," Brie said.

"And miss this? No way. Although driving together might not have been our best plan. Marc drives like a grandpa."

"And Flea thinks she's driving in the Indy 500," Marc retorted. "Pretty sure I saw my life flash before my eyes at least twice this summer."

"We can live together because he's gone so much but road trips are officially out of the question. What about you two? How has your summer been?"

"Busy," Brie answered. "But we're making it work."

"She finally came to visit this week," Derick said.

"But I fly back on Monday. I wasn't planning to have a foreign boyfriend when I took this job and wedding season stops for no one."

"Well you look happy and that's all that matters," Felicia said.

"When's your due date, Fefe?"

"Next week. I expect you to send me an obscenely ostentatious flower bouquet and an expensive baby gift for Ditto, Brassy," she teased.

"Don't get her anything," Marc spoke up. "Not with those demands." Felicia swatted him across the chest and Marc stumbled back dramatically. “See how she abuses me?” he teased with a glint in his eyes.

“You wish I abused you,” Felicia retorted. Brie giggled, remembering the conversation at her first Friday lunch with the girls and Felicia looked over, winking at her.

"Lennon looked amazing and Dan was very debonair with his bow tie,” Brie said.

“She let Kate and I go with her when she found the dress. We all went to Toronto and met Dan’s mom and grandmother. It was really special.”

They found seats together and sat, chatting away with each other and the other guests.

“Fe! Brie!” they heard Lennon’s happy voice exclaim. She rushed towards them, pulling Dan along with her. “Hiiii!” She hugged each girl fiercely and they began to talk amongst themselves about the ceremony and Lennon’s dress.

“You heard anything yet?” Derick said to Dan.

“Nothing so far. Len and I are going to Italy for our honeymoon so I won’t know anything until I’m back. You?”

“My agent is ironing out the details but it’s looking good.”

“What about you, future captain?” Dan asked Marc.

“They’ll probably pick Mac, but they’ve been talking about getting me signed to an extension before the season starts.”

“How are the girls taking it? I know Len is putting on a smile but she really wants to come back to New York.”

“I’ve been talking Brie through it every day since free agency started,” Derick admitted. “But so far, so good.”

“What are you boys talking about?” Felicia interrupted.

“Boring hockey stuff,” Marc grinned. “Flea and I were gonna bring it up later but we’ve been thinking it’d be nice to have everyone come to Thunder Bay before training camp, one last get together to remember last season before we become enemies on the ice.”

“We’ve got tons of room and I already convinced Jordan to let us let people stay with him too,” Felicia added.

“That sounds like so much fun, Fe,” Lennon said. “Dan and I are in.”

“What if I’m an Islander by then?” Dan asked.

“We’ll try not to hold that against you,” Felicia answered.

“And we’ll still love Lennon all the same,” Marc added.

“God you two really were made for each other, you know that?”

“Oh, you mean like and you Lennon were?” Felicia smiled sweetly.

“Touche,” Dan laughed.

“Come on, Mr. Carcillo. The guys want to start their toasts,” Lennon said, slipping her hand into Dan’s.

“This ought to be good,” Derick whispered to Brie.

“Why?” she whispered back.

“Because all the guys giving a toast are hockey players and have no class.”

Brie giggled. “I don’t know; I’ve met a few of you and I think there’s something to be said to the french canadian ones.”

“Don’t listen when Tazer speaks then. He probably will give a perfectly sentimental, all in good taste speech that will make you tear up. Because he is the perfect canadian.”

True to his word, the first three speeches were funny, a bit raunchy, and toed the line of appropiateness. When the last man stood, Brie felt her breath catch. “That’s a hockey player?” she whispered to Derick.

He groaned softly. “Really?”

She shrugged. “He’s mildly attractive.”

“That’s Jonathan Toews. He’s the captain of the Blackhawks. Dan played there for a couple seasons and Lennon knew them before Dan played there. She was close with him and Pat.”

She leaned into Derick as Jonathan spoke, sighing at his words. Derick rolled his eyes. “It was romantic, and sweet,” Brie protested.

“He’s just trying to get laid,” Derick said. “And it’s working judging by the girls lining up to fawn over him.”

“Jealous?” she teased as Derick led her out onto the dance floor.

“Why? I’ve got the prettiest girl here in my arms.”

“I think Len is the prettiest girl but I’ll take seocnd prettiest.”

“You’re definitely the prettiest,” Derick whispered close to her ear as he twirled her around the dance floor.

Felicia watched Derick and Brie dance from her seat and as Marc came back, he dropped a kiss at her temple before taking the chair beside her and sliding an arm across the back of it. “Happy?”

“Very.”

“Admiring your handiwork?” he teased as Derick dipped Brie back, laughing as he righted her.

“I would be a great matchmaker. Jordan got a wife, Brassy is happy.”

“Who's next then?”

“Mac. Becuase when they name you captain, he’ll need someone to console him.”

“You have high hopes, Felicia Todd. Probably I’ll be the one need consoling.”

“We’ll see,” she smiled. “It looks like Dan and Lennon snuck away so I think it’s safe if we go too. I’m tired and Ditto won’t stop kicking my bladder.”

He stood and held his hand out to her and helped her to her feet. “You’re beautiful, you know that?” Marc said reverently.

“I’m fat.”

“Pregnant. There’s a difference. Now let’s get you back to the hotel.”

“But first, let’s make plans to have breakfast with Brie and Derick in the morning before we leave.”

“Text him,” Marc said, glancing in their direction. Derick leaned in to kiss Brie sweetly and she wrapped her arms around his neck to hold him closer. “They look like they don’t want to be disturbed.”

Felicia smiled happily. “Come on, Staal. I don’t want to be disturbed either.” She pulled her phone out and shot off a quick message to Derick.

Breakfast tomorrow. 10am.

See you then, Fefe.

And remember Brassy....safety first! ;)


FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
That's the end ladies (and gents?). We'll see everyone again soon. I am definitely cooking up more stories with this team. I never want to let them go and I'm gonna be devastated when some of them move on during the off season. I already had a moment today about Brad Richards. :(