‹ Prequel: If I Knew

And So I Know

Two

Derick texted Felicia before he left the practice facility and they ended up meeting for coffee (tea for her), where they soon discovered that they liked the same music and had similar tastes in food and movies. Their friendship flourished quickly from there and just to drive Marc crazy, she bought a Brassard jersey to wear to the first home game after the Olympic break.

Before that game against the Blackhawks, Felicia was milling around the hall before warmups at Marc’s request. He popped his head out into the hall and smiled at the sight of her, despite her wearing everyone’s name on her back but his. He called out her name and she turned at his voice, her own face breaking into a smile.

“One of these days I’m gonna get you a real hockey players jersey,” he teased.

“Aww, that’s sweet of you but red really isn’t my color, no matter how much I adore Eric.”

Marc rolled his eyes and stepped into the hall. “I suppose it’s a win that you didn’t say Jordan.”

“I’m still holding out for you to get me a Talbot jersey.”

“Hank would be incredibly upset if you sported Cam’s jersey over his though. He might stop dressing me.”

“So you’d be naked then? I’m okay with that.” She rubbed against him and Marc groaned.

“Your horny pregnancy hormones are out of control.”

“I know. Prepare yourself for when we get home. I am so having my way with you.” She went to kiss his cheek but Marc turned his face so her lips landed on his and he closed his arms around her waist. Her hands went around his neck and her fingers into the hair at the back of his head. She sighed into his kiss and tugged Marc closer.

A clearing voice behind them broke them apart and Felicia smiled sheepishly up at Ryan Callahan. “You’ve got three minutes before we start clearing out for warmups.”

Marc grabbed Felicia’s hand and pulled her inside the room with him. She waved at Derick who smiled and offered a small wave in return. Beside him, Dan Carcillo gave him a quizzical look. “We’re friends,” Derick offered quickly.

In front of everyone, Marc had an arm around Felicia and a smile that spread from ear to ear. “Felicia and I wanted to share some news with everyone when we are all together again, since you guys are my second family, and now Flea’s too.”

“We already know she moved in with you though,” Dan Girardi called out.

“And we’re all concerned that she might be in a delicate mental state to have agreed to that,” Rick Nash laughed.

Beside him, Felicia giggled and squeezed Marc’s hand. “I am definitely in a delicate state but it’s not my mental stability in question,” she responded.

“When Felicia got injured in January, we found out she was pregnant too. We’re having a baby,” Marc grinned. He held up his hand as a chorus of congratulations began to flow around the room. “Hey! It’s still a secret. You guys know we’re together, our families know we’re together, but the rest of the world doesn't so if you can keep it to yourselves, that would be awesome. We’ll make an official announcement later but we wanted you guys to know now.”

Everyone made their way up to hug Felicia. Some of them hugged Marc too, others offering claps to the shoulder. Derick was one of the last to approach the pair and Felicia wrapped her arms around him in a friendly hug. “Félicitations,” Derick said. “Again.”

Felicia laughed. “Thank you again, Brassy. You’re coming over for dinner tomorrow?”

“Of course,” he smiled. Because so long as they weren't on the road, Derick always came over for dinner. The first time he begged off, Felicia brought him food. The second time, she pounded on his door until he followed her back to her and Marc's. Now he just knew if she invited him, he was expected unless he had a good reason.

Felicia called out a goodbye to the room and turned to Marc, who moved in front of her, rising up on tiptoe and kissing him amidst catcalls from the rest of the room.

"Jealous," she smirked over his shoulder before she settled back on her feet. She turned, taking two steps towards the door as Marc moved to his stall.

“You’re wearing the wrong jersey, Fe!” Rick called out as she grabbed the door handle. “Where’s my jersey?”

“Got a better one,” she called back before exiting the room.

As Felicia disappeared out the door, the room turned to focus on Derick who felt his face heat up. "Don't start," Marc warned them. "Felicia will kill you and you know I'm right."

Now here he was a month after that first dinner with Felicia and Marc, where the friendship had really formed, sick as a dog, and Felicia Todd making herself at home in his kitchen. She pulled a pot out of his cupboard and started pulling the things she had carried in with her along his countertops. He took a seat at the small island and drew his blanket tightly around him.

“You look pathetic,” Felicia commented, looking over at him. She went into his fridge and filled a glass with apple juice and set it in front of him. “Have you taken anything? Do you have a fever?”

“Of course I took something,” Derick muttered. She reached out and touched his forehead. "I don't have a fever anymore either."

“I’m just checking. Go get comfortable on the couch. This will only take me a few minutes to warm up.”

“Is that chicken noodle soup?” he asked as Felicia poured from her containers into his pot.

“Yep. I called your mom last night.”

“You called my mom?!”

“I lifted her number from your phone when I came to check on you yesterday. You were complaining about soup so I called. And if your mom can’t mother you while you're sick, I will. It’s good practice for when Ditto gets here.”

“I’m your practice baby?”

“Sure, if you want to think of it that way. I like to think you’re my friend and you’re sick and miserable and we live in the same building so of course I’d do what I could to help you feel better.”

“And Marc is gone so you have no one else to bother.”

“I like bothering you. But I also might have thought we could keep each other company while the boys are gone.”

It was a short one game road trip that Derick was missing. A game in Detroit that night was followed by a three game home stand. He hated missing any game but even more to be left at home because of the flu. He was actually very grateful that Felicia had come over. Otherwise he would have stewed all night and been miserable. Now at least he had soup and good company.

He took his glass of apple juice with him to the couch and curled up on one end. Felicia followed a few minutes later, a bowl of steaming soup in her hand. He sat up to accept it and was immediately drawn back to his childhood at the first breath of it. He waited until Felicia came back with a bowl of her own, sitting at the opposite end of the couch from him and grabbing his remote for his TV to put on the game.

“Eat,” she encouraged. “I need you feeling a hundred percent to kick Flyers ass next week.”

He took a tentative sip and then a large spoonful in his mouth. He turned to Felicia with a smile. “It tastes just like my moms. Thank you, Fefe.”

She raised an eyebrow at him. “Fefe?”

Derick shrugged. “You call me Brassy. I needed a nickname for you that no one else used.”

“You’re lucky I like you, Brassard.”

“You love me. I’m french. Everyone loves us.”

Felicia laughed. “I’m really glad we’re friends.”

Derick smiled. “Me too. I needed a friend like you here."