‹ Prequel: If I Knew

And So I Know

Seven

Brie had not been entirely surprised when Kate called, inviting her to join the three women for another Rangers game. What she was surprised by was how excited she was at the thought of seeing Derick again. She hadn’t run into him at the coffeeshop again but that didn’t change the fact that she had spent the better part of her Wednesday watching videos of him online. And then chastising herself for looking at him and focusing her attentions to watching highlights of Brian and Dan instead.

Because as best Brie figured, the more she knew about Lennon and Kate’s significant others, the more she could impress the women and not have to talk about Derick.

Because she might go googly eyed if she did.

From her brief encounters to watching his interviews, she thought him to be a quiet, unassuming, sweet guy. That he was attractive with such a great smile was only a plus. And his accent was a bonus. On outward appearances alone, he was perfect.

Brie had gone to Madison Square Garden straight from work, arriving moments before puck drop in a forest green blouse tucked into high waisted dark wash jeans, her hair pulled back in a simple chignon. She had traded her heels for a simple pair of ballet flats. She was afraid she’d look dressy, like she was trying too hard, but was relieved to find the other girls were all dressed somewhat similarly, looking polished and pulled together without a stitch of Rangers gear on.

"I thought I'd stick out like a sore thumb with you three tonight," Brie said as she took her seat between Lennon and Kate.

"I came from work," Lennon said. "I beat you here by like two minutes."

"And Kate always looks this put together," Felicia added. "She's our fashionista."

"What's your excuse then?" Kate asked.

"I had an appointment....and a job interview," she admitted.

Lennon squealed. "An interview? And you didn't tell us?! Tell us everything!"

Felicia laughed at her friends enthusiasm. "Derick found it actually."

"Well, did you get it? What are you going to do?" Kate prodded.

Felicia smiled. "You are looking at the next coach of the mighty mites girl team at Sky rink next season."

"Fe! That is so amazing!" Lennon gushed. "You're going to be the best coach ever. And then in like three years, you'll coach the Rangers and win a stanley cup!"

"I think you're jumping the gun a little there, Len," she laughed. "But thank you."

"Congratulations," Brie said. "I, um, watched some of your highlights and I know I don't know a lot yet but you were so good and I just know those girls are really going to look up to you."

"Thank you, Brie," Felicia replied warmly, reaching across Kate to squeeze her hand. "That is really nice of you to say."

"What else did you look up on the Internet?" Kate asked, nudging her in the side. "Did you look up Brian?"

"I might have watched a few highlight videos."

"What about Dan?" Lennon asked. "Did you watch his fight videos? Those are my favorite."

"I saw a couple of those too. Doesn't that scare you?"

"When he fights?" Brie nodded and Lennon shrugged. "I mean, he doesn't do it nearly as much as he did before I met him, and he does it even less since we started dating....but it's still so hot when he does."

The girls dissolved into giggles and settled in to watching the game. Brie asked questions that Felicia answered and by the games end, she was really feeling like she understood what was going on. More than that though, she was feeling like she had been friends with the threesome all her life, a feeling that was cemented when Lennon invited her to join them for lunch the following afternoon.

"It's our thing. Kate and I have been doing it since Dan got traded here and when Felicia moved, she started coming too. We go to the same little French cafe every week. You'll love it,” she said.

“I don’t want to impose on you,” Brie immediately deferred.

“I will tell you the same thing I told Derick the first time I invited him over for dinner,” Felicia smiled. “It’s not an imposition if I insist.”

“But it’s your thing.”

“You’re a part of our thing now, like it or not,” Kate added. “I saw you chatting away with Benoit at the bar the other night.”

Brie blushed but Felicia's ears perked. She had been trying to figure out how to bring Benoit up throughout the game and Kate had just given her the in she needed. “Brie and Benny? Why has no one told me about this?”

“Fe, it was so cute,” Lennon said. “He asked to buy a drink like a nice, proper gentleman and they talked at the bar for like forty five minutes.”

“So you and Benoit then?” Felicia asked Brie.

“He was very nice,” Brie replied. “But we didn’t make a date or anything like that.”

“Why not?” Kate asked. “You looked so good together. And Benoit is such a sweetheart.”

“Work keeps me busy. There isn’t much time for dating,” she explained.

“There’s always time for love,” Kate continued.

“Not when you are helping to coordinate the most beautiful weddings in all of New York City.”

“You should still make time for yourself though,” Lennon added. “And everyone should date a hockey player if they get the chance.”

Felicia and Kate laughed at Lennon’s statement. “Not all of them are gems but when you find one that is, you keep him,” Felicia said.

“Oh, is that how that worked then?” Lennon teased. “You hate someone and then you fall in love?”

“And sometimes you have a baby,” she grinned. “Come on, let’s head down stairs. I want some of those chocolate chip cookies before they’re all gone.”

They occupied a corner of the family room, Felicia devouring cookies as they chatted, making plans for the upcoming weekend. They included Brie in their plans and she smiled to herself, enjoying the company of the three and being included even though she wasn’t one of them. Some of the other wives and girlfriends stopped to say hello and one of the three always introduced Brie.

They were chatting away with Henrik’s wife, Lennon bouncing his little girl in her arms when Brie saw Derick walk in. Her eyes followed him as he made his way through the room, stopping to greet people and chat with them. When he looked in her direction, their eyes met and his face lit in a smile. He held her gaze and moved towards her. She felt her cheeks flush as he approached and she dropped her eyes for a second. When she raised them again, he still watched her.

“Hello, Brie. Enjoy the game?”

“Yes, thank you.”

“That’s two home games in a row we’ve won with you here. You just might be a good luck charm.”

“Oh, I’m sure that’s not it. You’re all very talented.”

“Well, we try at least. Are you going out with us tonight?”

“I am. Felicia said if she was going, then I was going too.”

Derick chuckled. “That sounds like her. You’ll have to let me buy you a drink though.”

“I believe I owe you a drink this time.”

“Oui, bien sûr. The coffee.”

“Yeah, the coffee. You speak french?”

He nodded. “I’m french-canadian. It’s my first language. Fe makes me tell her things in french all the time even though she never knows what I’m saying.”

“Why?”

“Because it sounds pretty,” Felicia answered, slipping into the space beside Derick and giving him a one armed hug around the shoulders. “Good game, Brassy.”

“Thanks. You feeling okay?”

“Great actually. I just ate like six cookies.”

“Are you sure you wanna go out with everyone tonight?”

“God yes. I need to get out. Especially before the road trip and I’m stuck here without you and Marc to bother.”

“You all live in the same building?” Brie asked.

“Mm-hmm. It’s really nice having two hockey players in the building. They can do all the heavy lifting whenever I need it.”

“And she’s very good at taking advantage of that,” Derick added.

“Whatever. I cook for you and you love it.”

“It is nice to have home cooked meals on the regular.”

“Hey, are we ready?” a tall, redhead asked as he joined Derick, Felicia, and Brie.

“I’m ready,” Felicia answered. “Marc, this is Brie. Brie, this is Marc. You didn’t get to meet him at the last game you were at.”

“Oh, Kate's wedding planner,” Marc replied. “I heard a lot about you. It’s nice to actually meet you.”

“You have all the brothers and grew up with Felicia, right?”

“That’s right. And I’m the best one.”

“That’s what Felicia said too.”

Marc slung an arm around her shoulders. “We have an agreement that she is obligated to say that.”

“It’s no obligation. I always enjoyed watching you play, even growing up. I just liked being better than you more,” Felicia answered matter of factly.

“I am definitely a better hockey player than you.”

“Who got picked for the olympic team?”

“Who fell over their own two feet and wrecked their shoulder?”

“That girl tripped me!” Felicia protested.

“No call,” Marc reminded her. She crossed her arms over her chest and huffed out a breath, turning her back on Marc. He laughed and pulled her back to his chest, hugging her. “You’re so easy.”

“You’re mean.”

“Always have been.”

“I know. That’s why I didn’t like you when we were kids.”

“That’s why I didn’t like you when we were adults.”

“Don’t worry; they’re always like this,” Derick said to Brie. “They hated each other up until this past summer even though they’ve known each other their whole lives. It’s kind of funny. They know exactly how to push each others buttons but they really do like each other.”

“Let’s go!” Kate called out as she and Brian led the charge out of the lounge and out into the night where Derick fell into step beside Brie. Their hands brushed once as they walked and Brie had to fight the urge to grab his hand and wrap her fingers around his. Instead, she tried to focus on the conversations going on around her.

When they reached the bar, they were waved inside and everyone headed straight upstairs to the second level. Brie made her way towards the bar and Derick followed. Even on a Thursday night the bar drew a crowd and Derick was forced close behind her as they waited for the bartender to notice them. Brie raised up on her toes and leaned over the bar, letting out a sharp whistle that caught the bartenders attention. He made his way towards them and she ordered two beers that were on tap. She looked back at Derick as the bartender walked away and he smiled.

It made her skin tingle.

She knew it was dangerous, being so close to him but he drew her in and she couldn’t tear herself away. She slid a twenty to the bartender to pay for their beers and she let Derick lead her through the crowd to a table where Felicia sat with Lennon and Marc. Derick slid into the booth across from them and Brie followed beside him.

Across the table, Felicia shot Derick a look and he shrugged his shoulders. She laughed at something Lennon said just as Dan shoved in beside him, pushing him closer to her, their shoulders bumping. Derick glanced at her and their eyes met for a second before she turned her attention back to Lennon.

Derick didn't care. He was just enjoying being close Brie and he’d take what he could get at this point.