Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

Hunting lessons

Anna nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard Daryls rough voice outside her tent early the next morning.

"Wake up ,princess. Time for your first lesson."

Anna groaned and wriggled out from her warm sleeping bag. She slipped on a pair of jeans that Beth had given her and pulled on her leather gloves. She had always felt insecure about her hands. She felt like if any part of her was going to get bitten it would be her hands. Like when she used to go skating with her mum who would always tell her to keep her fingers tucked in if she fell so that they wouldn't get sliced of by a nearby skater. She shuddered.

Her trusty leather boots and Jacket were dumped haphazardly by the tent flap. She shuffled them on and emerged into the brisk morning air. Daryl was waiting by one of the spindly trees that guarded their camp.

"Morning Daryl."

"Morning, you got your gun?"

"Yeah." She patted her hip where the colt rested heavily on her belt.

"Good, what about a knife?"

"Yes, mum. I have my knife." She paused. "Thats not something I ever thought I would say."

"I wanted to check the snares first, So I can show you how to set those up now and I'll teach you how to track and kill."

"Okay." Anna sounded a lot more cheery than he felt at that comment.
The pair started walking into the woods. Anna was amazed at Daryls speed. Every movement he made was precise and practiced. Daryl glared at her every time her heavy feet cracked a twig.

"If ya keep on like that you're gonna scare the birds."

"Sorry." She was tired and getting frustrated. they had been out for almost an hour and she hadn't caught anything. Meanwhile Daryl had a rabbit and 4 squirrels on his belt.

She was about to say more when Daryl nodded in the direction of a bush a little way ahead.

"What" She mouthed.

"Pheasant"

She nodded and caught the bird in the same way Daryl had told her. When she returned to him with her prize he smiled and shoved her arm playfully.

"'s 'bout time. We should get back."

Anna nodded gratefully and followed in Daryls footsteps back to the farm in a comfortable silence.When they reached the edge of the forest a devilish idea sprang to Annas mind and a mischievous grin spread across her face.

"Last one back to the camper!" She raced off and heard Daryl groan behind her before picking up his pace. The two fell into step next to each other and Anna strained ahead. Her brown hair flicking out behind her she slammed her hand onto the RV's side a split second before Daryl and slid to the ground.

"Beat ya." She taunted.