Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

A failure

She found Daryl outside tent later that evening, he had moved it further away from the camp and she was worried for him.
He was sat on the grass staring up at the starry sky, he looked more torn than she had ever seen him before and she wanted to just put her arms around him and hold him. But that would have been weird for both of them

"Daryl?"

He grunted in response and didn't meet her eyes.

"Can I sit with you?"

He looked at her then.

"Why would you wanna do that?"
"Because you're my friend." She couldn't think of a better answer but it was the truth. She had come to think of Daryl as the one person who could keep her grounded. He's the reason why she didn't just leg it as soon as the tension started in the group.

"I'm a pretty crappy one of them, that's for sure."

She dropped to the grass ungainly and looked at him.

"Why would you think that?"

"I'm a failure."

"That's crap."

He looked shocked at her words but Anna continued on regardless.

"You didn't fail anyone. It wasn't your fault she was in the barn. You couldn't have known." She said it matter of factly. She put her arm around his shoulders and he leaned into her touch. Anna was a little surprised. She had expected to be shrugged of but she wasn't going to complain. She rubbed soothing circles over his back and hummed softly. He looked at her It was a beautiful look, full of kindness and love. It was a look she hadn't seen for a long time. The next thing she knew his lip were on hers and they were soft and warm. She smiled into it and then it was over. Daryl coughed awkwardly but smiled at her. Anna didn't know how to react so she just sat there and looked up at the stars. Daryl did too and the pair fell into a companionable silence. Before she knew it Anna had fallen asleep on the grass and Daryl scooped her up and carried her back to her tent.

Anna had a terrifying thought when she woke up.

Oh Crap. I kissed Daryl Dixon.

Her heart was pounding in her chest. She was fearful but happy in a really weird sort of way. It was then that she noticed the sunlight flooding her tent and that she was still wearing her clothes from yesterday and leather jacket. She poked her head out of her tent and heard the sound of clattering plates. There was no friendly chattering but the sound of breakfast was unmistakable. She quickly changed her clothes and walked slowly to the camp centre. The entire camp was there save for Carol and Daryl. Her heart relaxed. She really didn't feel like facing either of them just yet. Carol for the fact that she had no idea what to say to the woman who had just lost all hope ,and Daryl for the fact that she had no idea what to say to the man who had just filled her heart with hope.

She grabbed some badly cooked eggs from the quiet T-dog who was on breakfast duty and tried to give him her best, friendly smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh, I hate rereading things. I just cringe at all the awful mistakes I make.