Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

confusing

Anna kept her distance from Daryl throughout the day and it hurt her.She figured it was for the best. She needed time to regain her dignity but she knew she couldn't stay away forever.Unless she wanted to run away from here too ,which she really didn't want to do. She had family here now.That thought made her feel happier.

She realised she needed to preoccupy herself so she helped Lori and Patricia with washing the clothes. For once, Though, Lori actually did something. It was impressive. That went fine for about half an hour until Patricia noticed Annas frown.

"What's wrong? You look distracted."

"Yeah" Anna nearly choked on the words.

" Just not used to laundry I guess."

"No kidding." Lori piped up. Anna was not in the mood for Lori's usual little digs.
"Yeah, I spend too much time in those woods bringing in the meat."
"And for that we're grateful. It sounds like fun out in those woods."
"Maybe, but it's frustrating, You can walk a mile and not find anything. Exhausting. it's not exactly the place for a chat either."

"Maybe if you and Daryl were to split up you might get it done faster."
As much as Anna hated to admit it that sounded like a good idea. Not for the getting work done faster. That was crap. But it would mean she could limit her contact with Daryl.
"Hmm, Thanks, Lori. I think I'll mention that to Daryl."

"No problem, sweetie." Anna wanted to roll her eyes but decided to refrain. The three women continued working without a word.

The morning Came to quickly she spent the day more or less the same as the last, only, this time, she though about Daryl even more and spoke to Lori less. She helped T-dog cook breakfast in the morning and realised how much she enjoyed the change in company. The man acted lighthearted compared to the rest of the group. Anna was grateful for the change.

The day after Anna had finally worked up the courage to talk to Daryl. She found him in his tent again. Her heart was in her stomach. She refused to look at the spot where she and Daryl had been... No.

This had to be done. It was just one of those things. She coughed awkwardly as Daryl invited her in by patting the spot next to him. His shirt was slightly rumpled up at the bottom, exposing his smooth skin.

She deliberately sat opposite him close to the tent flap in case she felt like making a hasty retreat. She refused to believe that it was worry that she saw in his eyes.

"Umm, I was thinking."

He nodded, ever helpful with conversation.

"Would you... Do you think..." She struggled to find the right words. She wished she had thought about this before hand.

"What's wrong?"

His eyes were full of concern, it was undeniable. He moved closer and put his hand on her knee. Her breath hitched. She was almost grateful for the sound of approaching footsteps.

"Daryl?" The voice that sounded from outside, however, annoyed Anna to no end. It was Lori.

"What?" Daryls voice was gruff, like he was annoyed about being interrupted. Anna marveled at how fast his tone could change from soft and caring to pissed off. He crawl out of the tent.

"Beth's in some kind of catatonic shock, We need Hershel."

"So, what?"

"So, I need you to run into town real quick and get them."

Anna was a little disgusted at the way Lori was talking to him like a child, and she crawled out of the tent. Lori gave her a disapproving look. Not that that wasn't normal. Lori gave everyone a disapproving look until she wanted something.

Daryl just scoffed "Your bitch was window shopping,You want him, fetch them yourself." He turned away."I got better things to do."

"Whats the matter with you? why would you be so selfish?"

This time Anna was the one who scoffed indignantly.

"Selfish! Lori, you may want to go look in the mirror! Or just take a minute to look at how you never look after your own son."

Lori turned on her.

"Who asked you? What would you know? Have you ever been a mother?"

"No, but let me ask you this. Where is Carl now? Who did you load him onto this time? Because if anyone is selfish here it certainly isn't Daryl."

Daryl moved forward himself.

"Listen to me, Olive Oyl. I was out there looking for that girl every single day. I took a bullet and an arrow in the process. don't you tell me about not getting my hands dirty."

He paused and started to turn away again."You want those two idiots have a nice ride. I'm done looking for people."

Lori stood awkwardly for a second before leaving. Anna even felt a little bad for her. They had been a little harsh.

Daryl sat down on the grass and picked up his knife and started sharpening it. Anna coughed to break the silence and sat down a little way from Daryl.

"You okay?"

"m'fine." Anna was irritated. Daryl had clammed up again.

"Okay."

Daryl looked up from his knife and gave her an unconvincing smile before picking himself up and dropping to the ground next to Anna. Her muscles tensed involuntarily but Daryl didn't seem to notice. He put his bare arm around her and rested his head against hers. Despite everything , her heart melted.

Sitting like that with him made her both angry and happy at the same time. Daryl Dixon was officially won of the most confusing men on the earth.