Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

I don't need protecting.

Anna and Andrea found Shane pacing back and forth outside the front of the house . He turned towards the two women.

"They should have been back by now."

Andrea was the one to break the news.

"I know, But there is something else. Lori's missing."

"What."

"We think she went to find Rick." Shane's face went from distraught to rage in a matter of seconds. He turned towards Anna.

"How do you know?"

"She asked Daryl to go find Rick earlier and he said no. We haven't seen her since."

Shane raised his voice.

"And you didn't think that this was important enough to tell anyone."

This drew a bit of a crowd, Carol included, Which irked Anna more than it should have at that point.

Her timid voice spoke up.

"What's wrong?"

"Lori's missing. Anna didn't think it was important to mention this earlier. I knew she was going to cause more trouble than she was worth."

"Screw you, Shane."

Shane slapped her,hard,and she fell flat on her ass, which drew a flurry of indignant shouts from the group.He turned on his heel, got into a car and drove away.

"You okay Anna?" It was Carol.

"Yeah, fine, fine.Thanks."

She wasn't fine, but she certainly wasn't going to admit it to Carol.

Her face stung and she knew she would have a huge bruise. She turned and started walking in the direction of Daryl's tent. She figured she should at least warn Daryl if Shane was going on a rampage.

Daryl was sat by the fire, fixing something on his bow.

"Hey ,Daryl." She offered him a small smile as he looked up. She flopped down beside him. He smiled back at her before lacing his arm over her shoulders.

"I thought I should warn you. Lori went to find Rick on her own and now Shane's on a rampage."

Daryl gave her a puzzled and slightly irritated look.

"Why would she do that?"

"Cause she's stupid and not thinking straight. Why else?"

He looked at her darkly.

"What's wrong with your face?"

Anna furrowed her brow before touching her fingertips to where Shane had hit her.Her fingers came back with a spattering of blood.

"Oh, It's nothing."

She didn't feel like telling Daryl. The guy had had a bad enough day as it was.

"It doesn't look like nothing. C'mere."

He pulled her closer softly and moved her hair out of the way. He brushed a thumb under then small cut on her cheek and moved it into her hair. She shivered.

"Who did this?"

"Could you guess?" She said dryly.

"Shane." The hand that wasn't tangled in her hair clenched.

"Ding, Ding, Ding. Can we drop it now?" Anna could feel a lump forming in her throat.

"Where is he?"

"Not here,he went looking for Lori. But even if he was I would really appreciate if you left it alone. I don't need protecting."

Daryls jaw tightened but he nodded.

"Thank you." She tilted her head up and looked at his steely eyes.

"I'm okay. Really, Daryl, I can handle that moron. "

"I know, But you shouldn't have to."

That warmed her heart a little and she didn't know how to react. She gave him another small smile and Daryl tilted her head up and kissed her softly. Anna hummed into the kiss.

"Okay." Anna wrapped her arms around his stomach.

"I guess there isn't much to do now but wait."