Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

It's barbaric

The late evening slowly turned to midnight when Shane pulled up with Lori in tow. neither looked in the mood to chat so Anna decided to stay out of it. She threw a look across at Daryl who was standing against a weathered looking tree. She took a short nap but was woken at 5.00 am by Daryl, looking to check the snares. Anna felt her spirits lift as she pulled on her boots. Glad that Daryl wasn't brooding to much this morning.

*****

By the time they got back the early morning sun was providing a soft blanket of heat across the farm. Anna didn't miss the worry that haunted everyone's faces. Eventually a car approached with Rick driving solemn faced and a traumatized looking Glenn sat next to him. Anna was grateful as Daryl had just suggested going out after them. Carl pulled away from his mum to give Rick a hug. Hershel looked uncomfortable and lost when Maggie ran straight past him into Glenns arms. The happy reunion was short lived, though, as a scrawny kid was dragged from the back seat.
"Who's this?"
"That's Randall."
Anna raised her eyebrow for some sort of explanation. None came. Instead Hershel's voice rang out into the night.
"Patricia, Prepare the barn for surgery."

---------------

The morning stretched into late afternoon while Anna took a nap. She had been up half the night and decided that a few hours sleep had been well earned. When she woke up she heard the soft sound of birds chirping cheerfully. The noise seemed strange considering the circumstance and the fear that surrounded the camp. She decided to get up and try and find out what was going on.
As she walked past the barn up towards the house her stomach turned at the sound of knuckles hitting bone. Daryl's voice ripped its way out through the wooden walls, accompanied by piercing wails of fear.
Anna jogged to the bolted door of the barn and yanked it open.The image she was met with hit her straight in the gut and the smell of blood was thick and unwelcoming. Daryls knuckles were spattered with blood as he paced up and down in front of the boy. His face a picture of pure rage as the pale boy recounted the story of two girls his group had raped. Annas voice filled with anger. Both at Randall and what Daryl was doing.
She put her hand on Daryls arm and tugged hum softly but firmly to the door.
"What are ya doing?" Daryl's voice still held a hint of anger.
Anna just raised her eyebrows.
"I don't think that's the question we should be asking here." Her voice was strong and unwavering.
Randall's voice echoed from the corner of the barn.
"Who's there? please. I haven't done nothing." Anna ignored him. Not taking her eyes off of Daryl.
"We need to know what he knows."
"And torture is the way to get that? This is sick, Daryl. It's barbaric."
Daryl moved closer to Anna's face, he was clearly angry and Anna was almost tempted to back down
"He deserves what he gets, You just heard what they did to those girls." Daryl stepped back from Anna and stabbed a finger towards Randalls chest, who flinched when he felt it collide.
But Anna wasn't finished.
"I don't care how much he deserves it. This is wrong. If we resort to this then we lose the last bits of humanity we have. You are better than him."
Daryl grunted and moved back over to Randall. He continued his interrogation as if Anna wasn't there.
Anna was fuming and she slammed the door to the barn before storming towards Rick in the camp.