Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

Sorry Brother

A few moments later, screams started to ring out into the night. Anna jumped up and dragged herself out of her tent to see the others scrambling about in a rush to get to a silhouette writhing on the ground. Anna couldn't see who it was until she got closer. Daryl was standing over Dale's injured body. The pale shape of a walker lying a few meters away in the grass drew Anna's gaze. Andrea knelt down to hold Dale's hand. Her sobs ripped through the air.

"Look at me, Dale. Okay." Her voice was erratic and fearful.

Rick's yells launched themselves across the farm.

"Herschel, we need Herschel!" Rick searched the faces of the group surrounding him.

Herschel stumbled over and stood over Dale.

"Can we move him?" Rick was in hysterics.

"He won't make the trip."

"You have to do the operation here. Glenn get back to the house." He was interrupted by Herschel. He put his hand on his shoulder and shook his head solemnly.

Andrea's quiet voice floated up to Anna's ears and her heart lurched.

"He's suffering, Do something."

It brought to mind her last conversation with Dale when he told her about his wife. Andrea had been so close to Dale. Glenn too. She moved towards Andrea and put a hand on her shoulder. Andrea looked to her, then to the rest of the group. She watched as Rick knelt down before Dale and raised his gun. A tear rolled down Anna's nose and fell into the grass. A moment passed as Anna realised Rick could not to what he needed to do. She watched as Daryl, moved over and took the gun from Ricks grasp. Anna closed her eyes so that she could not see as Daryl pulled the trigger.

"Sorry Brother."

***

Anna barely slept at all that night. She was plagued with memories. When she awoke in the morning she was covered in sweat. She had dreamed of her father screaming at her and her sisters wails as she died. Her father had not accepted it and had blamed her sisters death on her. Anna would never forget the fury that was held in his eyes as he cradled her sisters body in his arms.

Anna shook her head clear as she pulled on her jacket. She wiped her face with the corner of her blanket and took a shaky breath in. She wrapped her arms around herself as she pushed out of her tent and into the early morning sunlight.

Today they were holding the funeral for Dale.She pushed her fingers into her hair and scrunched it tight in her fist.

The day was cold as Anna made her way over to Daryls side. He nodded at her and she returned it before clenching her fists tight as Rick started to speak.

The group was quiet as they listened to his voice. Anna could not stop staring at the top of the RV, expecting to see the old man standing there. Ricks words sunk straight through her skin.

"From now on, we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honour Dale."