Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

An Old Friend and a Deer

Anna was relieved when Rick announced that they would all be moving into the house. The nights were getting bitter and her tent offered little protection from the wind. As she packed her things her mind drifted to thoughts of warm nights and being closer to Daryl.She smiled softly to herself as she worked.

As she approached the house carrying her few possessions, She watched a friendly conversation about who got to sleep on the couch between Herschel, T'Dog and Lori. The banter made her chuckle as she pushed open the the creaking door of the house. Her things made a heavy clunking sound as she dropped her bag next to Daryls stuff.

****

She decided to go out for a walk into the woods to clear her head. For once she didn't want Daryl with her. She wanted to retreat into the silence and serenity of the trees. She went further than she normally would have gone. All the way back to the spot where she first found Daryl. A series of rustles from a bush pulled her from her thoughts. Anna pulled her gun from her belt and listened for the telltale sounds of a walker.None came. Instead a huge stag shot across her path before freezing in front of her. Anna didn't hesitate and pulled the trigger of her colt. The stag collapse to the floor with a heavy thud.

Anna didn't have time to feel guilty about the kill, though. As a series of curse words erupted from behind her. Anna didn't recognize the voice but felt the cold barrel of a gun pressed to the back of her head.

"Don't move or I'll shoot you, That's my deer. I've been tracking it for hours."

Anna couldn't help but get sarcastic.

"And it looks like you were doing a top job of it." The voice practically growled at her. Anna could tell it was female. Seemingly fairly short judging by the angle of the gun. Anna thought she could take her. So long as she could get the gun away from her head and there where no others.

"Turn around. Slowly." Anna did as she was told. Turning her feet bit by bit until she was facing down the barrel of the gun. The sight shocked her to her core and the recognition zipped down her spine.

"Wait. Jas?" Her surprise showed in her words.

Jas looked at Anna with raised eyebrows for a few seconds before slowly taking the handgun away from Annas temple.

"Anna? You're alive."

"Uuh yeah I guess I am." A small smiled pulled it's way onto Annas face and she nodded.

Anna thought back to the time when Anna first met Jasmin and the time when she had found Jasmins house destroyed and burnt to the floor. Only an hour before she had gone home to find her own mother turning and ravenous. Anna had presumed her best friend dead and one by now. She had grieved for her friend and now here she was a meter in front of her. She looked skinny and Anna felt evil for being so well fed when her friend was obviously struggling out in the woods.

"How long have you been out here? Are you alone?" Anna asked.

" Yeah, About a month or so I guess."

"It shows. You look like crap!" Anna chuckled and pulled her friend into a tight hug.

"Y'know. I have a group. We do pretty well for ourselves. I mean we're a pretty close knit community and I don't know how happy they would be about it but you could come back with me if you want." Anna realised she was rambling a little bit. The words tumbled out of her mouth like a waterfall. The relief had gone to her head.

"I don't know, Anna. Are you sure they would be okay."

"They'll understand. They're good people and you look like you could use a me-"

A deep strangled groan interrupted Anna's speech. A herd of a dozen walkers pushed through the clearing. They didn't notice the two girls but fell upon the fallen deer and started to rip it to shreds. Anna tugged on Jasmins arm silently. Jasmin nodded towards a tall and sheltered tree and the pair scaled it silently and quickly.

The sounds of tearing flesh and crunching bone reached their ears from below. The damp branch beneath Annas leg felt sturdy and strong and She could see that Jasmins was the same. Anna could hear her own hearted beat slamming itself against her chest.

They waited.

***

Hours seemed to pass but Anna knew it couldn't have been that long. Even so, The light was quickly fading into evening and Anna knew the night wouldn't be safe. The corpses below had finished their feast and were now wandering aimlessly around the bottom of their tree. Fear coursed through Annas veins. All it would take would be for one to look up and the pair would be done for. If they didn't clear soon Anna knew they were going to have to make a run for it. That or risk dehydration at the top of a tree. A.K.A. Not how she wanted to go.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a bang that almost made her tumble from the tree, The only thing that stopped her was Jasmins fast hand that shot out to keep her steady. For a moment Anna thought her group had come to save them. Until realizing that the gunshot was too muffled and far to be her rescuers. It did, however pull the walkers into action and away from the tree. Relief flooded inside her heart. Until, she realized the walkers were heading towards the farm. Along with, Undoubtedly, hundreds more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haven't updated for a while but I finally managed to figure out how to write it!