Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

Road trip

"Where are they? You said they'd be here." Anna looked around the empty highway.

"They've been here. That's Daryls truck." She turned in a full circle before heading over to the rusted blue door and yanking it open.

"There's still some gas left. Not much though. Just enough to get us away from the highway."Anna nodded to herself as she said the words.

"I'll drive. You wanna go east? If we head for the coast, we might be able to find a boat. An island. Seems like our best bet." Jasmin observed.

Anna took another look around the empty highway. The sign for Sophia had been washed away. By rain or the group she didn't know.The supplies were gone too. She couldn't believe they had just left her. Anna cursed and shook her head.

"I guess so. You sure you wanna drive?"

"Yeah, you passed out an hour ago." Jasmin pointed out.

"Besides, I never did trust your driving."

Half an hour later Anna listened to the truck sputter and die. Jasmin swore next to her.

"Damn."

"We out of gas?"

"Just about, yeah."

" I think there's an old gas station not far down the road. I could run down and see what I can find. If you stay with the truck you should be fine until I get back."

"Don't be dumb, Anna. You're not going on you're own and we're not splitting up."Jasmin shoved the door open and hopped out before continuing. "The truck's not going anywhere. We can both go and be back in time for tea."

Anna snorted. The thought of food made her stomach grumble. "That's the other thing we need. There's barely any food. I've got half a bottle of water and a can of beans."

"Okay then. Let's go shopping." Anna clambered out of the truck and followed her friend down the road.

5 minutes later The girls stood in front of the old gas station. Knives in hand. They didn't want their guns out. Thay didn't know what was around. Sneaking through the lines of wrecked cars ,they didn't notice the single van that wasn't destroyed idling behind the car wash. Assuming the coast was clear Anna moved out into the open.

"Hey Jas, Check it out." Anna pointed to a disused truck bed. It was full of old tennis balls. Anna walked over and pocketed one. Jasmin gave her a quizzical look.

"Never now when you're gonna wanna pl-" Her voice was cut off by an arrow ripping into her outstretched arm. She yelled as a searing pain shot through her bones.

"Well, Looky what we've got here." A sneering voice came from behind Anna. A low whistle sent shivers down her spine as she pressed a hand to her bleeding arm.

"Why don't you turn around slowly, girlie. Le'me take a look at ya."

"Not again." Anna growled. More to herself than anyone. Jasmin shot her a look before slipping out into the shadows. The man standing behind her smiled. A straggly greying beard hung from his mud ridden chin. A bow pointed directly at her heart.

"Looks like your friend ain't gonna save you." He cooed. The man took a step closer, not noticing the figure treading as quiet as a mouse, Knife drawn, behind him.

Anna felt the need to vomit as he stared down at her legs. When he took another step, Anna saw her chance.

Just as, Jasmin saw hers.

The two girls pounced on the creep at the same time.

Anna knocked the bow from his hands with her uninjured arm and delivered a kick to his groin. The man fell to his knees as Jasmin pushed a knife into his neck. Red dripped from the wound and stained his beard. The body writhed on the ground for a moment, and then was still. A puddle of warm blood spread from the dead man and pooled around Annas shoe.

That was it for Anna. Vomit spattered across the pavement. Jasmin turned her back from the body and her puking friend. She wiped her knife clean on a stack of old newspapers.

"You good? " She asked as the sounds of liquid hitting the pavement decreased in frequency. Anna pushed a thumb into the air.

" Yeah, I'm good."

She said to Jasmins retreating back. Anna moved over to Jasmin. She pulled off her jacket and wrapped it around the wound. It wasn't deep but it hurt like a bitch.

"What about you? You just killed a man." She stated.

Jasmin nodded. "I'm okay. Let's just get that fuel and head out of here."

"Okay."

Anna moved to the body as Jasmin walked around the back of the car wash. She picked up the mans bow and quiver.

"I guess you won't be needing these anymore, dude."

She also found a sturdy hunting knife in the mans back pocket. She used it to be sure that the man wouldn't turn while they were still around.

"Hey, Anna."

Jasmin yelled from the other side of the gas station.

"What?"

" I think I just solved our transport problem."

Anna heard the start of an engine as Jasmin drove the white van out from the car wash.

"Half a tank of gas in here, and I won't mention the supply of cans in the back. Get in."

Anna smiled. Adrenalin still flowing through her veins.

"Road trip!"

"Just like old times." Jasmin agreed.