Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

Helping

****Daryls POV

Daryl woke up in the morning to a splitting ache in his side and as he moved his arm a sharp pain ripped through his flesh.
He grunted against the pain.He decided that a while in bed was probably the best idea.He suspected Hershel would hold to his promise if Daryl ripped his stitches.

After a while there was a knock on the door.He grunted his affirmation that whoever was out there could enter.
It was Hershel and Rick. He expected the old vet to close the door when he came in he gave a soft sigh.

"Get in here if you're coming."

****Annas POV

She lingered outside the door. She didn't even know this man and now she was going out of her way to make sure he was

Okay.What I wrong with me. Maybe being a psycho runs in the family.

When she entered Daryl was lying on his side with the blanket wrapped around his chest protectively. She stood there awkwardly for a moment.

"Umm,Hi." She gave him a half smile and an awkward wave.

Daryl only grunted in response.

Okay then, this is fun.

She coughed and tried again.

"I, uhh, just wanted to say that you'll be okay and all." She hooked a hand around her neck and looked at Rick for assistance.
He coughed before trying to initiate a conversation. It was obvious he was tired but he was trying so hard.

"I was thinking we could talk about Sophia's doll."

This seemed to get Daryls interest.

"I wanna go back out there as soon as possible and finish looking.Maybe take another horse and..."

"Oh, no. I don't trust you with any of my horses and there is no way you are going out there anytime soon."

Anna cut in.

"I could go out there and start looking, I mean I know where Daryl found the doll and I feel like I haven't done anything to help you guys yet."

Rick didn't look convinced and Daryl just grumbled.

"I'm a good fighter. I can help." She added.

"We appreciate the offer but we barely know you."

"I take it you don't trust me."

"Honestly, no."

"Okay look, There is a little girl out there that I can help. I mean you have kids here. I'm not some psycho and I am certainly not a killer. I want to help."

Rick threw an awkward arm over his shoulder and rubbed at his neck, considering.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I want you to take Glenn and Maggie with you."

"That's fine. I guess."

Hershel was about to object to his daughter going out When she walked into the room.

"Daddy, Lori was looking for ya, she said she was worried about the baby."

A moment of fear passed across Ricks face.Maggie noticed and gave him a comforting look before leading Rick and her father out.Anna stood awkwardly next to Daryls bed.

"Is this okay with you?"

"What?"

"Me, Glenn and Maggie going up to where you found that doll."

"Yeah, 'course. Why wouldn't it be?"

"Just cause, I thought that maybe since you found it you wanted to go yourself.That's all."

"I'd prefer that but Hershel seems to think he's my father and he's keepin' me on bed rest"

It took Anna a second to realize he was joking and she laughed with him.

"Well, I wanted to go see if I can make myself useful. Did you want anything?"

"Nah, I'm okay. I'll see ya around." He gave her a half smile and it struck her how nice these people were. They were like a huge, If slightly dysfunctional family. It was a nice thought that ran through her mind as she nodded to Daryl and shut the bedroom door behind her.