Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

horses

The ride up to the ravine was awkward to say the least. It had been a long time since Anna had last ridden a horse and it took her a while to get the feel of it again. She hadn't been expecting Hershel to allow them to take their horses. She assumed the it would have been a different matter if Maggie hadn't been accompanying them. It was obvious that Hershel would do anything to keep his daughters safe.

Maggie and Glenn kept shooting each other glances that made Anna wonder what was up with them. She felt uncomfortable with the silence so she tried to start a conversation.

"So, how long have you lived at the farm?"

"Most of my life. Daddy was always pretty keen on farming. He says it keeps him young." She smiled. She was very animated when she talked about her family. The love between the Greene family was obvious.

"So, you never felt like leaving? ya know, going off and seeing the world."

"Not really. I mean, I would have loved to see more of the world don't get me wrong, but this is where my family is and I could never leave them behind for long. Why do you ask?"

"Sorry, I was just wondering, I guess. I mean, the farm is a beautiful place and it kinda puts thing into perspective, I guess."

"How so?"

"Like, the farm has such a safe feel to it and it's almost like it masks some of the horrors from outside.I dunno, maybe it's just me."

The two women fell into a more comfortable silence and caught up with Glenn.

After another 5 minutes they were approaching the ravine and Maggie swiftly dismounted her horse. Glenn and Anna shared a look of There is no way I could do that gracefully so I'm not even going to try - and stayed seated. Maggie let out a sigh.

"So where did Daryl find the doll?"

"I don't know where exactly but I saw Daryl climbing up here under this tree, So I assume somewhere down there." She pointed down to the muddy water.

"Okay, so lets just search this area around here and see what happens." She hopped back up to her horse and led the way around.

They had been out for about an hour when Anna noticed a deep brown horse ahead of them. She whistled softly to get Maggie's attention.

"What?" Maggie replied calmly when she approached.

Anna just nodded in the direction of the horse.

Maggie noticed and dismounted her horse again and waved to Anna to tell her to stay where she was. Anna assumed that this was Nervous Nellie. Her assumptions proved true when Maggie walked the horse back and tied it to her own mount. Anna marveled at the way Maggie handled the horse.

Glenn coughed quietly and nodded to get back to the farm. As a walker followed from the bushes. Anna dismounted, Somewhat ungracefully and put the walker down with her knife. She didn't have her gun but she wouldn't have used it anyway in case she scared Nellie. She remounted and the three survivors walked back to the farm with fairly heavy hearts as to their lack any hard evidence of Sophia's whereabouts.