Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

tents and that bloody bathroom.

The cool midday wind blew through the open tent flap and flicked over the page of Daryls book. Hershel had let him back to his tent an hour ago with strict orders not to overdo anything. Daryl had meant to disobey when he was told by andrea that she had been informed to keep a close eye on him.

Daryl sighed and close his book. It was boring. Some prissy teenage novel that left his skin crawling. He sat up on his bedroll and decided to go see if whoever was on watch would let him take over. Unlikely, but he needed to do something.
On his way over he was caught by Anna who chastised him for carrying his heavy crossbow around with him.

"m'okay. Who's on watch?"

"uh, T-dog, I think. Listen, I'm about to go on a run with Maggie to get myself a new tent, do you want anything?"

"A new book."he joked. He had been complaining to her when he saw her this morning about the books Beth had given him. It had been a sweet gesture from the girl, but they made him want to tear his eyes out.

Anna chuckled softly .

"But, seriously. Is it just you and Maggie goin'?"

"Yes, is that a problem?" She asked with a challenge in her eyes.

"Wouldn't it be better to take someone with you?"

"What like you?" She punched him playfully in the arm.

"We'll be alright Daryl."

Daryl didn't seem convinced but he nodded.

"I'll see what I can do about that book." She added before sauntering off towards the stables to look for Maggie.

****Annas POV

She was amazed at how nice these people had come to be towards her. They all showed concern for eachother and it was really sweet. Everyone helped eachother in little ways.

When she got to the barn Maggie had finished saddling up the two horse and handed Anna a backpack.

"There's a pretty good camping place just outside of the town. I haven't been there in a while, but last time I went there were still some pretty decent tents in the store room."

Maggie gracefully mounted her horse and Anna followed suit. The ride into town was fairly jolly. The two women laughed together about Annas old job at the run down coffee shop and the cop that used to come in and check her out every day and the guy who used to shower her in compliments in the hope of getting free syrup.

On arrival, the store was deserted. Anna smiled at their luck. The pair entered the shop quietly. Anna ignored the brown blood splatters that decorated the walls and headed towards the back store room, her fingers drifted over the gun at her belt.

"Wow! Two tents left back here. Which one shall I pick, Maggie?"

She heard footsteps behind her and a short bark of laughter. The two tents set out in front of her were definitely not what Anna had hoped for. One was a Peppa Pig kiddy tent, The other was, ironically, an I Am Legend themed tent.

"What kind of camping shop is this?" Anna asked incredulously.

Maggie turned and walked out.

"While you're picking out your lovely living quarters, I'm gonna go into the ladies room and see if there is anything useful."

"Mhmm." Anna turned and nodded at Maggie and something caught her eye in the bottom corner under a shelf. A navy blue two-man. Perfect. Anna smiled proudly and tucked it into her rucksack.

As she padded out of the store room pleased with her find she heard a yell of suprise from the bathroom. Anna grabbed her machete from her belt and rushed into the bathroom where she found Maggie wrestling two walkers with her back against the wall. Anna slashed her machete across one of the walkers neck just as another ripped itself out of a stall -Pantless, she might add, The scene might have been funny if she wasn't busy trying not to lose her life- and grabbed at her t-shirt. Her machete dropped to the floor with a clatter. Anna grappled for a minute before slamming her knife through a sunken eye socket just as she heard a slam as Maggie crushed her attackers head between the door frame.Anna swiped the sweat from her forehead.

"You okay?"

"Yeah."Maggie gulped.

With shaking hands the two shoved handfuls of tampons from the dispenser into Maggies rucksack and Anna collected her machete from the floor.

"Please, don't tell anyone."

Anna nodded in silent agreement. That had been a close call but they both knew it had just been pure bad luck. They didn't want to be stopped from going out in future.

On the way out Anna noticed a paperback John Grisham novel on the shop counter. She scooped it into her rucksack. She could give it to Daryl later.

Both women were silent and tense and they didn't talk the entire way back to the farm. Anna was grateful as she was exhausted. If Lori even spoke to her when she got back, Pregnant or not, Anna might slap her.

When they got back Hershel, seeing the women's tired eyes, took the horses from them and told them not to worry.

Anna was irritated when she realised that she couldn't sleep because she hadn't put her tent up yet. It looked simple enough but Annas limbs refused to do as they were told. Eventually' though, with T-dog and Carol's help the tent was up and Carol had brought her stuff over. Anna went to sleep.