A Secret You Can Keep

Spencer.

My cell phone had been ringing since I stepped out of the taxi in Sochi outside the Team USA main-house. While I adored the song and occasionally the caller it belonged to, I was growing less fond of both with each time the opening lines of the Closing Time chorus met my ears. With a huff, I tossed the large suitcase and duffle bag full of my equipment onto the bed to yank the iPhone from my back pocket.

“For fucks sakes, Kaner, don’t you know how to call once and leave a voice mail instead of blowing up my cell?” I growled, plopping down onto a plush chair in the corner of the room.

It’s great to talk to you too, Spencer.” He chuckled, and I could practically see the goofy grin and roll of his eyes as he spoke.

“What do you want? I just got in, I’m exhausted.”
USA lobby in fifteen, meet me and Ariella there.

“But Kane-“
See you soon!

I rolled my eyes and tossed the cell phone onto the bed, taking a moment to weigh the pro’s and con’s of meeting my cousin and the ever-demanding asshole known as Patrick Kane. I really needed a shower after spending God knows how long on that plane, and I really just wanted to sleep. However, I hadn’t seen Patrick in ages and who knows how much free time we would have to catch up once the games got kicked off full force?

I heaved myself from the chair and moved to the fancy bathroom, turning the water on hot before grabbing a change of clothes. The body wash provided by the plush hotel was a mango scented wash coupled with mango shampoo and conditioner that helped relax my tense nerves after the flight. My shower took an easy eight minutes, and I quickly pulled on a pair of yoga pants with a Team USA hoodie. I threw my long hair into a messy pony, put on just the absolute minimum amount of make-up, and grabbed my room key before letting the door click shut behind me.

When the elevator doors opened, I broke out into a wide grin at the sight of Taylor Gold—one of the mens halfpipe finalists, and one of my close friends. As I stepped inside, he wrapped me into a big hug.

“Wassup!” he exclaimed, leaning against the side of the metal elevator.
“Nothing really, I just got in and I’m going to meet my cousin and an old friend in the lobby. You?”

“I’m gonna go find my sister, I think she flew in today, too,” he replied as we stepped into the lobby. “Let me know if you wanna hit the pow sometime.”

“Yeah, definitely,” I agreed, and we tapped fists before going our separate ways.

I had barely taken five steps towards the lounge area before I heard Patrick absolutely screeching my name.If I hadn’t known better, I would think he was drunk—but nope, that’s just Pat being Pat for you.

Speeenncccerr!

Moments later, I was hoisted into the air like a trophy.

“Hey, Kaner,” I giggled, ruffling his hair when he put me down.

“I haven’t seen you in forever,” he pouted, and grabbed ahold of my hand. “Come on, Ariella is waiting with some of the guys.”

I allowed Kane to drag me behind him to where T.J. Oshie and Cam Fowler sat with my cousin.

“Well, well, well—look what the cat dragged in,” teased T.J. as we neared. I rolled my icy blue eyes but clasped hands with him for the bro-hug regardless.

“Long time, no see, party boy,” I retorted, greeting Fowler in a similar fashion before Arielle quickly hugged me.

“How was your flight?” she asked as I plopped onto the sofa between her and Kane.

“Wack, that shit never gets any better,” I grumbled, and the four of them laughed.

“You’d think after having to fly everywhere for the last, what, two years now that you’d have gotten over your fear,” teased Kane, and I threw him a glare.

“Yeah, well. Apparently not.”

“You’re such a baby sometimes,” laughed Fowler, and I simply flipped him the bird—making him laugh even harder.

“Kaner!”
We all looked towards the booming outside voice, seeing two men striding towards us in Team Canada track suits. My arms folded across my chest and one eyebrow quirked in curiosity.

“What, Tazer?”
“Me and Sid need your help with something real quick.”

“You’re gonna have to wait. I’m spending time with my two favorite long lost ladies for a while—just got Spencer down here,” Kane shrugged, indicating towards Ariella and I with a free hand.

“Oh, really?” drawled Jonathan, folding his arms across his chest with a slight smirk. “Why don’t you introduce us?”

“Oh no. These are my friends—you can’t go stealing my friends—plus you’re the enemy right now.”

“That’s fine, we’re perfectly capable of introducing ourselves then,” chuckled Sidney, extending his hand towards me. “Sidney Crosby.”

“Spencer,” I replied, shaking his hand and nodding my head towards Ariella. “That’s my cousin, Ariella. She came along for the ride.”

“Pleasure to meet you both,” he purred, grasping her hand in his with a beautiful smile.

“Jonathan Toews,” said the other, holding out his hand.

“Lovely to meet you,” I mused, letting my eyes flicker up and down his strong physique appreciatively. When I finally tore my gaze from his body to meet his eyes, with a small smirk I noted we were almost entirely mirroring the other. It wasn’t until Kane cleared his throat that we both snapped out of it and I noticed Ariella and Sidney were locked into a similar state.

“And this is why I’ve never introduced you guys,” muttered Kane.

“Don’t mind Kaner,” I grinned, turning to look at Sidney when he tilted his head slightly in question. “He’s just pissed because I watch more Pens games.”

“And she may or may not have a shirt with your name across the back,” said Ariella, playfully nudging my arm.

“Hey, it’s not my fault I know the difference between good hockey and mediocre hockey,” I replied, playfully winking at Jonathan who stood with an absolutely flabbergasted expression. I wasn’t insulting him, or even his team. I was just using it to poke fun at Kaner. Jons face softened, smirking ever so slightly, and amusement danced in his eyes.

“I think she just has a total boner for half the guys on the team,” quipped T.J., but before I had time to utter my sarcastic comment, my eyes snagged on a tall redheaded figure headed towards the door.

“Shawn!” I squealed, lurching from the couch in a sprint. The older snowboarder barely had turned towards me before I leapt into his arms.

“Wassup, short shit?” he chuckled as I slid to the ground.
“Just got in about twenty minutes ago. Where are you headed off to?”

“Ah, just about to start shreddin’ the gnar. That pow is looking pretty smooth, care to join me?” he offered, flashing his dazzling smile.

“Not tonight, I’m gonna snag first tracks in the morning, though. I think Sage is gonna meet me, if you wanna come too.”

“Rad, I just might crash you two’s jam session. We’ll have to go grab drinks sometime while we’re here, though.”

“Hell yeah, sounds good to me,” I agreed, laughing when he pulled me into his chest to ruffle my hair in a very brother-like fashion.

“I’ll catch ya later, kid,” said Shawn, kissing the crown of my head. "Super stoaked that you're here this year. Can't wait to watch you tear it up out there."

"Awe, you're such a doll for a redhead," I teased, pushing onto my toes to quickly kiss his cheek and scurried back to my cousin, before she killed T.J.

“Shawn White? Really?” whined Kane once I was within earshot.
“Yeah, Shawn White. What of it?” I countered, sitting on the edge of the table occupied by T.J. and Fowler.

“He’s pretty cute,” interjected Ariella, glancing towards the rotating doors.

“Not as cute as Taylor Gold—oh my God, you’ve got to see him,” I replied, digging through my pocket for my cell phone.
“Was that the guy you walked in with?”
“Yeah, he’s the baby of the team. Cute as hell, though,”

“Really, Spencer? We’re all still sitting here,” said Kane, and I stifled a laugh when he puffed out his bottom lip in a pout. “Pretty sure none of us care.”

“Seriously, I don’t see what’s so great about snowboarders. You’re surrounded by hockey players—also known as real men. What's so great about Shawn or Taylor that every guy sitting here doesn't have?” asked T.J., and I shared a look with Ariella.

She had a love/hate relationship with T.J., and had since they met. It honestly entertained the hell out of me, especially since she was currently looking at him like he’d suggested something utterly repulsive.

“I’m not going after any of the guys on my team,” I replied, scrunching up my nose a little bit. “And, well, you’re not exactly the best sales rep for dating a hockey player.”

“Maybe if you toned down your ego about fifty notches you’d get decent girls, T.J.”
Point, Ariella.

“Oh, I get—“

So!” exclaimed Jonathan, apparently seeing the slowly brewing storm and effectively cutting off Oshie. “Spencer. What’s your sport? Snowboarding?”

“Yep. Half pipe mostly, but I’m totally gonna hit up slopeside, too. It’ll be crunchy.”

“Isn’t that… dangerous, sometimes?” asked Sidney, eyebrows pinched together and I couldn’t help but laugh.
“And hockey isn’t…?”
“Touché."

“How do you know little Kaner?” asked Jonathan, spinning the conversation again.

“We grew up together in Buffalo. Went to the same high school, he was just a year ahead of me and Ariella.”

“They fought all the time about what sport was better,” she huffed, giving the two of us a very pointed look.

“Hey, it’s not my fault your cousin can’t recognize a superior sport when she sees one. I mean, really! How is riding down a mountain all that great and wonderful? Three year olds can do it!”

“Oh, I’m sorry! I didn’t realize golf on ice was so much better. Not to mention, if I wanted to get knocked around and shoved into walls, I would just sign up for boxing. Sorry, I like having my face intact!”

“Woah! Golf on ice?” exclaimed Fowler, eyes narrowing into slits.

"You’ve got to be joking, Spencer,” chuckled Sidney, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Oh, she’s serious,” growled Kane, and we continued to glare full force at each other. “Fucking snowboarders and their dumb lingo.”

“Hey! It’s not my fault you’ve been hit in the head too many times to understand basic, simple words,” I snarled, folding my arms across my chest.

“You see, their arguments always get no-where fast. Kane’s never tried snowboarding, and Spencer has never once set foot on ice…”

“Wait—you’ve never skated before?” asked Jonathan, a mischevious smile dragging across his light pink lips.

“Nah,” I replied with a shrug. “Never had time for it.”

“I only told her I’d take her like fifty times,” muttered Patrick, rolling his eyes. Jesus, he was being such a baby tonight.

“Yeah. ‘Cause you’re an asshole about hockey sometimes," chucked Jon, and I grinned appreciatively at him. He returned it with a wink, and I could swear it was the most sexy thing I'd ever seen in my twenty-three years.

“You were gonna let Kaner take you? You told me no!”

“T.J., if Kaner is an asshole, I’m pretty sure that makes you the spawn of the devil,” chirped Ariella, and I grinned widely at her.
“Precisely.”

“Well, I can take you tomorrow around noon if you’re free…”
My eyes snapped to Jonathan’s, entirely tuning out Kane’s protests and ignoring Ariellas wiggling eyebrows.

“I’m gonna grab first tracks early in the morning, but I should be free by then… yeah, sounds pretty knarly,” I agreed, smiling slightly.

“Cool, just-uh, just put your number in and I’ll call you tomorrow?”

I nodded, taking the sleek black phone from him and quickly punching in my digits before returning it.
“But, speaking of first tracks, I really should be off to bed. Three forty-five comes really damn early, especially with jet-lag. I’m gonna call it a night.”

“We should be going, too,” agreed Sidney. “It was good to meet you two.”
“You too,” I chirped, not missing the lasting glance he gave Ariella before shifting my gaze to Kane.
“I think I’ll hang out here a little longer with Ari and the two idiots,”

I nodded and quickly bid everyone a goodnight, retreating back to my room on the very top floor. Hopefully I could snag a couple hours of sleep before hitting the slopes in the morning, but I was almost positive that my thoughts would be too overwhelmed with the promise of skating with Jonathan tomorrow to really get much rest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Howdy, y'all! Brin here with the first chapter in a little introduction to this Sidney and Toews Olympic lovin' between dave franco ; and I!
Mega props to her for the stellar layout; I love it! Don't you? I mean, seriously. Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews? Drool.

Let us know your thoughts, yeah?

XX - Brin.