Deliver Us From Evil

Until My Heart Explodes

“Never before have we clad strangers in the grab of our own clothes.” Pale, slender fingers adjusted the silver and green leaf brooch that held the grey cloak on my shoulders. Though I didn’t like the closeness of the silver, it did not touch my skin and I could not refuse their gift. “May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes.”

We were given gifts. Legolas got a new bow, which he seemed very impressed with. Merry and Pippin were each given a dagger. Sam was handed Elven rope which seemed rather dull, so he asked for a dagger, but did not get one.

In my hands the lady placed an Elvish sword. It was curved like a soft tilde. The hilt was burgandy with golden weaving. It was roughly three feet, but still light in weight. Sindarin was carved along the blade. “It says, ‘Im Adonnenniel. Guren níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenitham.’ I am Adonnenniel. My heart will weep until the time we meet again,” she translated.

“Adonnenniel,” I repeated the name, tasting it on my tongue.

“It means resurrection.”

***

“Lembas,” Legolas said happily of the bread given to us. We were filling the row boats with our supplies. “Elvish waybread,” he explained. He took a small bite off the corner. “One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man,” he told Merry and Pippin.

Once he returned to packing, I heard Merry ask his cousin, “How many did you eat?”

“Four.”

As we sailed down the river, I sat with Gimli and Legolas. Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn shared their own boat. Merry and Pippin traveled with Boromir, whom I threw glances at much too often. Sometimes, he caught me or I caught him. At first I blushed and looked away, but that grew old and I became comfortable with the intimate moment we shared. However, that did not mean I was okay with anyone else knowing.

I had let my gaze linger on Boromir when I felt eyes on me. I turned to see Aragorn with a raised brow. My cheeks heated and I turned away, but I still saw a smirk pull at the corners of his mouth.
We traveled via the river for several days. We stopped on the shores by nightfall and would be packed and back in the water before the sun even rose. There was clearly danger with loitering on the banks.

Boromir’s boat had been near mine when Pippin asked if I had a tale I could tell from my world. I had plenty of stories from history, books, and movies, but I had a hard time thinking of one that would interest and make sense to him.

“Um,” I mumbled while trying to think. “How about the Princess Bride?”

Merry crinkled his nose. “The Princess Bride? Is it a child’s story about love and boring things?”

I smiled at him. “It does have love in it, but also sword fighting, hunting, murder, trickery, miracles, humor, and even torture.” I paused before adding, “And it can be a child’s story.”

So I told the tale and the hobbits looked deeply interested. The others even threw in questions from time to time. They were disturbed by the machine used to torture and drain away Westley’s life. I had to explain to them that no such device actually existed. Boromir admitted that while the Man in Black was impressive, he was too unrealistic. The Steward’s son had more of an interest Inigo Montoya.

That night, while we settled on the banks, I was awaken by the arguing of Boromir and Aragorn. “You were quick enough to trust the Elves. Have you so little faith in your own people?” Boromir’s tone sounded strained and I rose from my bedroll. “Yes, there is weakness. There is frailty. But there is courage also, and honor to be found in Men. But you will not see that.” The king tried to turn away, but he was stopped as the Captain-General yanked him back by his shoulder. “You are afraid! All your life, you have hidden in the shadows. Scared of who you are, of what you are.”

“I will not lead the Ring within a hundred leagues of your city!” Aragorn harshly whispered.

“Rey,” I interrupted him. They seemed shocked by my sudden appearance. He only spared me a nod before angrily stalking away. I gestured for Boromir to follow me just out of hearing distance, but still within a safe range of camp. When we came to a stop, I gripped one of his hands in both of mine.

“He does not trust Gondor to help defeat the Dark Lord,” he confided in me. “He Isildur's heir! If the king does not trust his own kingdom, then whom will?”

I kept gripping his hand, but moved one of mine to brush his hair back. I traced my fingertips along his jawline. “Do not distress yourself over this, Boromir. Tell me about Gondor; tell me about your family.”

And so he spoke of the White City and his brother, Faramir. The younger son of the Steward gave him great elation to talk about. He admitted that his father did not trust Faramir to go travel to Rivendell for he thought he was not strong enough to resist the Ring. When he said that Faramir had more place on this quest for he was more knowledgeable about the history of Middle-Earth, I pointed out that I had no complaints because I wouldn’t have met him. He kissed me after that.

***

The next morning we passed an amazing sight. Two rock statues of kings stood on either side, like three hundred foot pinnacles. Their arms were outstretched as if telling us to go no farther. I was barely the height of the smallest toe. “The Statue of Liberty has nothing on these guys,” I muttered. At a curious look from Legolas, I told him about Lady Liberty.

The river poured out into a large lake. We stopped to make camp and Aragorn told us, “We cross the lake at nightfall. Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north.”

“Oh yes?” Gimli began to argue. “It’s just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks! And after that, it gets even better!” At his side, Pippin froze. “Festering, stinking marshlands far as the eye can see.”

“That is our road,” Aragorn confirmed. “I suggest you rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf.”

“Recover my…” He trailed off with a huff.

I turned away from them and gazed off into the woods. Something didn’t feel right. My instincts settled a strange feeling in my stomach. I did not trust this area, but the word of our leader was final and I was not in a position to argue.

“Where’s Frodo?” Merry asked. I tensed at his words and my blue eyes searched around wildly. I cursed myself for not noticing his disappearance earlier.

“I’ll find him,” I promised the others. I transformed and dashed off into the forests. I heard Aragorn called out “Eirien!” but I did not stop. I lowered my nose close to the ground and tried to find his scent. I was very familiar with the smells of everyone in the Fellowship at this point and I doubted any other hobbit walked this area recently.

I was able to find his trail quickly and I trotted through the woods. Everything was in shades of gray, but this did not bother me. Only after a few minutes, I heard footsteps and conversation. Another scent mingled with Frodo’s. Boromir. I knew he coveted the Ring and I feared that he was acting on this.

“Give it to me!” Boromir’s voiced called out and I ran forward.

“No!” Frodo’s meek voice yelled.

“Give it to me!”

“No!”

When he was finally in view, I froze. Frodo was no where to be seen and Boromir was crouched on the ground. “I see your mind. You will take the Ring to Sauron! You will betray us! You go to your death, and to the death of us all! Curse you! Curse you and all the halflings!” I charged and leaped on to him. His head smacked onto the leaf covered ground and it put him into a daze for a moment. I snarled and snapped at him as I stood on his chest.

“Daisy?” he asked in a daze. He looked side to side. “Frodo? Frodo?” he whimpered pathetically. “What have I done? Please, Frodo.” He made to get up, but I snarled again. He paused and sobs started to slip from his lips. “Daisy, please forgive me. I tried to take the Ring from him. I could not help myself.”

I looked around for Frodo, but he was no where in sight. I could smell him still as his scent was fresh. I thought about following him, but I did not trust Boromir. Or rather, the Ring’s hold on him. I turned my icy eyes on him once more. Tears glazed his eyes and wettened his face. He moaned apologies and the urge to comfort him grew within me. I remained loyal to Frodo, but Boromir was not evil, it was the Ring that guided his actions.

I licked his cheeks and whined. His gloved hands stroked my fur. I stepped off him and he sat up. I began to nuzzle but stopped when I heard the sound of clashing steel. My ears perked upward and turned toward the sound.

“What is it?” Boromir asked me. Having no way of replying, I dashed away. I heard him follow me only moments later.

I could smell hobbits nearby, though it was not in the direction of the battle. Knowing they could not properly defend themselves, I sought them out. Dogs naturally run faster than humans, but Boromir somehow managed to stay several yards behind me.

I caught sight of Merry and Pippin being chased by creatures in black armor. With his sword drawn and my teeth bared we entered the fight to protect the little ones. They stabbed with their elvish daggers where they could.

I found fighting them to be difficult as my teeth could not pierce the armor covering their arms, chests, and heads, but other part were left exposed. They smelled similarly to orcs, but their scent was thick with mud and steel. Luckily, Boromir drew the white horn from his belt, which I identified as the Horn of Gondor, and blew on it. The sound reverberated through the woods. While it called for our friends, we were in danger of attracting more of our enemies.

The bitter blood and foul meat of these creatures was unpleasant to taste, but my teeth were my best weapons. I forced myself not to gag, but to continue fighting instead. I ripped out throats and tore open arteries. My coat was drenched in their black blood and I doubted I would every full wash out the smell.

The horn was still blown and our friends were still not in sight. We were attempting to retreat but they kept coming. The cousins started throwing rocks at them as Boromir fought one with his sword. My fang sank into the throat of one I had tackled to the ground.

I raised my head just in time to see an arrow pierce through the Gondorian’s shoulder. He dropped to his knees for a moment, but stood again to fight. I followed his actions and forced myself to recover from the shock. But another hit his stomach and I tried to call to him, but only a bark came through. He dropped to his knees once more, gasping in pain. The hobbits watched him in horror. I intercepted one that approached him, determined to keep them all safe.

With two arrows sticking out of him, Boromir continued to fight. His bravery and last attempt to save the little ones’ lives almost broke my heart. Another arrow sunk into his torso. He dropped to his knees once more. I howled from the breaking pain inside my chest and the halflings grabbed their blades to fight. They were picked up instantly and carried off. Their cries rang in my ears.

Before I could follow them, a force slammed into my skull. I fell to the ground and everything became fuzzy. I held onto consciousness, but could not rise. I saw the archer approach Boromir and raise his bow with a notched arrow.

I watched his last moments, helplessly, hanging onto the edge of oblivion. He had fought to the death to defend the little ones he cared for like children. It broke my heart seeing him keeled over, about to greet Death. And I fell in love.

***

I awoke only minutes later. Everything was a blur at first, but I made out two figures. One was lying down with another crouched over him. My body felt cold and I realized that I was naked and in my human form.

“Leave it! It is over. The world of Men will fall. And all will come to darkness, and my city to ruin.” I recognized Boromir’s voice and I blinked rapidly to refocus my vision on them.

“I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail.” That was Aragorn speaking, I was sure.

“Our people? Our people.” His breath was horribly ragged. “I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My king.”

“Wait,” I gasped out. I crawled toward them slowly. Twigs dug into my flesh, but I ignored them. “I can save you, Boromir. The curse will not let you die unless it is caused by silver.” Despite my nudity, I did not feel embarrassed as there was no room for it at the moment. “I can give it to you. You will live, but you won’t be the same.”

Blood coated his lips, showing that he was bleeding internally. “Daisy,” he muttered, “I trust you.”

I nodded and tears sprung to my eyes. My teeth transformed, but no other parts did. “I’m sorry,” I whispered and my fangs sunk into his flesh.