Status: Ongoing

Kitty Me

01

Peeking out of the window, I shivered inwardly. It seemed to be cold outside this early morning. I smiled and wrapped a scarf around my neck, opening the door. The spring sun was still a little bit chilly, but it was slowly getting warmer. In the afternoon, I was probably going to strip few layers.

Humming silently, I locked the doors, ready to leave when a silent meow brought my attention. I glanced down to see a ball of fur lying on the doorsteps. It stood up slowly, looking at me directly. It was orange with golden eyes and obviously pleading.

I crouched to the cat and it nuzzled my hand, demanding for attention. I giggled, petting it slowly. It purred, licking my palm. I watched the cat, wondering where it came from. It didn’t seem like a street cat at all. Its fur was clean and kept; also its eyes were clear. But there was no collar to be seen.

“Hey, cutie, how did you find me? Did you run from home?” A loud meow answered me and I giggled. I was talking with a cat. Such a way to start a day…

I smoothed its fur, noticing how tiny it was. From afar it looked all puffy and fat, but touching the cat, it was skin and bone. It was small and petite. I smiled brightly when it rested its paws on my knee, asking for more attention. I sat down on the ground, allowing the cat to climb onto my lap. It curled into a ball and purred in content. I shook my head in disbelief and got into brushing, working on few tousled patches of fur. The cat whined silently, giving me a nasty glare, but quickly licked my hand.

“Okay, no brushing.” It swatted its tail and I giggled. Such a grumpy cat…

I poked its tummy and it sat up, looking at me with interest. It had deep eyes. They were captivating with its golden color and small onyx-like spots. “You are the prettiest cat I have ever seen. I am sure someone is looking for you.” I patted its head and smiled sadly. Too bad my cat already died few years ago. The tomcat was too old and suffering from a cold did it for him.

Something grumbled loudly and I looked at the cat suspiciously. It ducked its head under my chin and meowed silently. I sighed, hauling the cat into my arms. It was light, lighter than feather. Thinking thoughtfully, I looked at the cat and then at the doors. No way was I letting the cat to starve.

Opening the doors, I rushed inside. I had a can of tuna stocked in the fridge. Pouring its content into a bowl, I settled it down on the doorsteps. The cat started munching on it greedily. I sat down again, patting the cat slowly. Watching it from afar, it would be a strong cat if it ate properly.

Sooner than I thought, the bowl was empty and I was patting the cat goodbye. It meowed and ran after me a little. I turned around and it rubbed its body on my calves. I sighed and crouched once again, pointing an accusing finger at the animal: “I cannot stay here with you all day. I have to study and also work. Go home, would you? They are surely searching for you, missing you.”

I turned around, walking away, when something trailed in front of me, sitting down, obstructing the path. It meowed and stood on two legs, clawing on my skirt. I sighed, taking it up to my arms, but instead of carrying it, I set it on a hedge. “You have to stay here. You could get lost.”

Ignoring my words, the cat kept on following me, no matter how hard I tried to shoo it away. My granny was obviously right when she said to never feed a street cat. Now I was struck with a crazy tomcat, following me and meowing constantly.

Giving up after few minutes of walking, I picked the cat up. It was shivering and its puffy fur was sticking to every direction. I smoothed it, wrapping it inside my coat in an attempt to warm up the poor creation at least a little bit. It mewled, purring silently. What a clingy cat.

Arriving to the school, I got few weird glares from student since there was a big bulge in the top part of my coat and I was holding onto it like it was my dear life. Ignoring the question of few friends, I skipped towards the reception. The lady working there had known me ever since I was little and I greeted her with a big smile, bowing slightly.

“Good morning, auntie. Could I ask for a favor, please?” I gave her my puppy eyes when she sighed in frustration. I knew she was only playing hard to get, but it was game for two.

She snapped after few seconds of my failed do-the-aegyo attempt. “Okay, what is it?”

I unbuttoned my coat, revealing the sleeping cat. It looked so peaceful that I didn’t want to move in fear it would wake up. I handed the fluffy ball to the woman and she cooed silently, petting the tomcat. The cat yawned, looking around. It snapped, jumping away from the woman, hiding behind me. I bit my bottom lip, embarrassed over the tomcat’s behavior.

“Could you take care of this little troublemaker for me? It is only for few hours. I will take it as soon as possible. It didn’t want to go home; I had to take it with me. Would you, please?”

I beamed when she reached for the cat. I tried to pass the ball to her, but the cat squirmed, clawing onto my t-shirt. I sighed, setting it down on the counter: “Look, you have to stay here for the time being. I will come for you, but now you have to stay here. Don’t worry; auntie will feed you something tasty.”

The woman gave me a weird glare. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea to talk to a cat in public.

I waved to both, more like to the cat – a warning not to do anything stupid. There was no way would I be able to explain why a cat was running after me during classes.

~meow meow~

Walking down the street, I petted the sleeping cat. It was even snoring silently, clawing at my scarf. When I picked it up, it was grumpy and hissing. It took me five minutes to calm the tomcat down and haul it to my arms. It even attempted to bite me once, but as soon as the cat touched my skin, it licked my fingers instead.

Seeing the neighborhood, I sighed in content. The cat was home. We were home.

I nudged the fluffy ball and settled it on the ground, where it snarled and started following me. This time I ignored the animal at all, going straight towards the front doors. I pushed them open when a loud meow could be heard. I turned around, only to be met with empty path. Frowning I shook my head and stepped into the house, only to find a swaying tail making its way towards the kitchen.

Seems like I gained a cat…