Status: Ongoing

Kitty Me

03

Struggling to get through the leaves of the big tree, I secured the camera to my chest. A barb whisked my cheek and I whined in pain. A loud meow could be heard from behind me and I turned around, smiling at the tom.

During the past few days I noticed that it was also overprotective. I took in a grumpy, moody and overprotective cat. Now there was a question which sides to its character I hadn’t seen yet. It was kind and loving, relishing in skinship. I loved this about the cat. It used to snuggle close to me whenever I was sad of just feeling cold. It loved sleeping with me, taking naps on my lap. It used to look after me while I was sleeping, too. Tabby was indeed a perfect cat.

After the agreement I got from the cat in the form of satisfied purrs, I settled down with the name Tabby. After all, it was a tabby cat, so why not to simply call it Tabby? The cat obviously loved the sound of the name, because whenever I called after the tom, it would start purring loudly and rub its body against mine. I found it a little bit weird, but also cute.

The cat rubbed against my calves, mewling silently. I crouched to pat it. “Don’t worry; we will go back in soon. It is too wet in here. I will have to wash your paws, or maybe wash you. You are covered in mud.”

The cat shrugged and sat down on the ground, twitching its tail impatiently. It looked like it was waiting for me to finish my work so we could head back home. I questioned myself when it would start rolling its eyes like humans do.

A person would think that we were somewhere in a forest, but we were only in the garden. I had to get some pictures of nature for my classes and the rainy nature was beautiful, captured on a photo.

Snapping the last quick shot, I picked up the cat. It nuzzled my jaw and purred. Being this close to the cat, I could smell it and it wasn’t pleasing at all. Rushing inside quickly, I set the Polaroid on the table in my room, the cat still secured in my arms.

I entered the bathroom, putting it into the bathtub. My late tomcat hated bathing, so I assumed this one would be scared as well, but he surprised me as he always did. Instead of trailing away, Tabby sat down, waiting for me to wash him, cooperating when I wanted to wash its tummy by rising on its two legs. Covered in soap, it looked adorable. Running for my camera, I quickly snapped a photo of the tom, capturing the glare it shot me.

Drying the cat was more difficult task to accomplish. I had to blow-dry its fur. The cat hated it, trying to run away anytime possible. It even tried to bite and scratch me, but as soon as it stuck its fangs into my hand and bit, it let go, licking the wound. That was the first time the tom bit me for real and apologized right away.

~meow meow~

Tying my hair up into a bun, I checked myself in the mirror for the last time. Make up – check; pretty dresses – check; hairdo- check; everything seemed to be perfect.

I turned around and smiled at the glaring cat. It had been watching me for quite a while, hissing every single time I pulled too short dresses out from the wardrobe. After few minutes I decided to tease it by trying one of the short ones on, earning a loud screech from the cat and it walked away sassily once again. Jealous much…

The bell rang and I skipped towards the doors. My heart was beating loudly as I pulled the handle, opening the doors. The guy behind them turned around, flashing me his significant eye-smile. His hair was perfectly styled as always, clad in black pants and a dress shirt. I loved this look.

“Hey, you ready?”

I shivered upon hearing his voice. It was always so soothing, forcing goosebumps all over my body. It felt like he could see right through me, his voice penetrating me whole.

I nodded when a loud meow could be heard from behind me. The tom appeared in the doors, sitting in front of me, glaring at the guy with hatred recognizable in its eyes. I picked up the cat, pressing a peck onto its temple. It purred loudly, closing its eyes in delight. It was such a white-haired cat.

“I am sorry. This little one hates when it is forced into being home alone. So it is a little overprotective.” I offered a kind smile only to have Tabby nibbling on my neck. It nipped me and I whined, nudging the cat to stop. It licked the spot and I smiled, glad it did apologize.

“It is okay. You can even take it. I can see that all the guys are all over you.”

I smiled warmly, thankful for the suggestion. “Are you sure it is okay, Taeyang-shi? I mean, I can leave the cat at home. It will manage, I am sure.”

The guy shook his head, motioning for me to follow him. The cat growled silently, but stayed in my arms, nuzzling its head to my chest. The cat still missed the collar, but I was sure it would follow us anyway. I set it on the ground, ignoring its loud hiss.

“SuAh-shi, where would you like to go?”

Tugging on my denim jacket, I bit my bottom lip. I shrugged, but smiled when Taeyang-shi reached for my hand, holding it tenderly.

Taeyang-shi was too kind to be real. We worked at the same place, and still, we had different professions. While I was behind the camera, he was the one being captured. After one photo-shoot, he simply asked me out. I resisted, knowing it was prohibited to date your co-worker, but his persistent courting and small presents he kept on giving me for more than two months did it for me.

“What would you say about stopping by at a café?” Taeyang flashed me a bright smile and pointed towards one small café shop on the corner.

“It looks nice, but…” I glanced at the cat following us. My lips were suddenly too dry and I licked them quickly. “Can cats go in?”

Taeyang-shi glanced at the cat and nodded. I was happy.

~meow meow~

Cradling the cat, I was sitting on the barstool, waiting for Taeyang-shi to return from the washroom. The cat looked like napping, but I knew it was faking the sleep. The way its ears were twitching gave the tom out.

“What do you think? Should I date him? After all, he is a great guy.” I scratched the spot between its ears and sighed. Now I was even talking to my cat. “He was the only one who noticed me. I feel quite grateful, to be honest. Hence I want to return the deed. I feel like I’m obliged to love him.”

The cat mewled and licked the back of my hand. It looked up at me, its eyes pleading. The tail wrapped around my wrist, twitching occasionally. It seemed like it did disagree. It wasn’t pleased at all.

“Maybe I am stupid for thinking so. What do you think?” I scolded mentally for asking the cat a question, being fully aware that it wouldn’t answer anyway. “I am going crazy, Tabby. And I do not know what to do.”

“Hey, I am sorry for taking so long. I feel bad for making you wait.” Taeyang-shi seated himself, sipping from his coffee. This situation would be perfect, but something was telling me that no matter what my eyes were seeing, it wasn’t true.

“No, it is okay. I can understand. After all, when the woman says, she will take five minutes, she will take twenty.” I had no idea why I was suddenly feeling nervous. I tightened the grip on the cat. For my big surprise, it did not react negatively, only purring loudly. It was giving me some kind of comfort I currently needed.

“I am sorry, Taeyang-shi, but could we leave? I do not feel well. I would welcome a quiet place for once.”

Knowing more than perfectly what I was talking about, Taeyang stood up. We were both working at a hectic place. People shouting on the set or even at the editing and printing department were not a rare sight to witness.

Petting the cat, I followed Taeyang-shi out of the café and smiled when he placed a hand on the small of my back. However, the cat didn’t appreciate this move and hissed loudly, snapping into Taeyang’ direction. The guy only smiled nervously and led me through the streets.

The walk was silent, but short. I stopped in front of the house, suddenly feeling ashamed. As a kid, I loved this place, but with time the neighborhood got worse and we were living on a peaceful street in the middle of dangerous district.

I turned to face the guy and smiled. My cheeks were burning and I regretted tying up my hair. Now I couldn’t hide the rosy cheeks behind my bangs. “Thank you for a nice afternoon. I enjoyed it a lot.”

A heavy silence enveloped us and I looked away quickly. Noticing the cat glaring at me, I turned towards the doors, but I couldn’t leave Taeyang-shi there just like that. Taking a deep breath, I collected some shattered pieces of my pride and looked him in the eyes: “Would you like to come in for a cup of tea?”