Status: in progress

Walls

Seven.

(A/N IMMA REWRITE THIS SOON I SWEAR BC ITS SO SO SHORT AND SO SHITTY IM SORRY ITS BC I WROTE SOME BEFORE I WENT ON HOLIDAY AND SOME AFTER AND YEAH SORRY ILL IMPROVE IT SOON)

When Jack woke up the next day, Alex hadn't returned. He felt fucking sick, he'd never even considered how his actions could negatively impact someone in this manner. He couldnt be bothered going down to breakfast in the hall, and so simply poured himself some dry cheerios. Despite the lack of milk, and it being a relatively plain food, Jack couldn't keep it down, and moments after finishing found himself huddled over the bathroom toilet, releasing a foul tasting liquid, containing absolutely vile chunks of food, later recognised to be non-digested cheerios.

He trudged along to the nurse, thinking that he hadn't felt this shitty in his entire existence, but then it got worse. As nurse assigned him a bed in the infirmary after giving him some medication, and placing a bucket next to him, he turned sideways, and saw who was in the bed beside him. Alex Gaskarth.

"Shit! Alex!" Jack exclaimed, unsure of what else to say.

"Why are you here." It didn't sound like a question, it sounded like a threat. The light had gone out of Alex's eyes, and he'd never looked paler.

"I'm sick." Jack confirmed.

"Sick? You don't know, the fucking meaning of sick." Alex spat. Jack had never seen him this vehement, it was scary to say the least.

"W-what do you mean?" Jack questioned, confused at why Alex was being so crude.

"Nothing. I don't want to talk to you."

"Alright then. Why don't you go fucking write about it, eh? All your feelings in one of them dumb fucking black books!" Jack knew he'd gone too far the moment he'd said it. Alex looked him in the eye, and Jack practically saw Alex's foundations crumble. His lip quivered. He bit it. He was breathing fast and heavy.

"Alex look I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it. It was the heat of the moment, I was angry, please, please calm down, everything's gonna be alright, please I'm sorry." Jack blubbered. Alex didn't respond, but he didn't break the eye contact for a second. Jack didn't know what to do, this was a now ever-present feeling. He didnt know what to do, so he grabbed Alex behind the back of his neck, and pushed their lips together.

Moments later, when Jack pulled away, Alex folded himself into the taller boys chest, his rapid breaths slowing.

"Are you okay?"

"No. But I don't need to be, I just need someone to tell me I will be, because I've already given up on that." Alex spoke sadly, and as Jack absorbed the words, he realised that the quiet boy from Essex had a lot more depth than expected. He was dark, and almost impenetrable, but Jack wanted to be a part of it, he wanted to clear the waters, he wanted to break down his walls.

"Come back to the dorm. I hate it without you." Jack pleaded, and Alex nodded, hoping that this time he'd be able to manage his slight insanity, or at least not make it so obvious.

Alex had bad days and good days like everyone else, but the bad days were so horrific, that the good days didn't even come close to equalizing. For a while, he drowned in a river of denial, dreaming that maybe it was a phase, a passing trend, until he realised it was sticking around for far longer, and that he wasn't ever going to be truly okay. Few understood how he could reach such a negative solution, and so he'd given up trying to explain. He needn't bother anyone with the excessive detail of what he would label as his fucked up life, so he kept it quiet, hidden, showed it to no one, until Jack.

Jack. The boy who got involved by accident.