Don't Stop Breathing

One

Calum's POV

It was raining today, harder than I'd ever seen it rain since I had moved to Ohio three years ago, and still I stood, freezing in the middle of the soccer field at the neighbor hood park, lazily kicking the ball between my feet. My mom had looked at me like I was crazy when I told her where I was going, she just assumed I really wanted to be ready for tryouts this season, but it really had nothing to do with that at all. It had everything to do with the pink haired girl who had captivated me for the past six months. Every day she would ride her skateboard through the park and into the woods where she would disappear for God knows how long. I had sat and waited to see when she would come back a few times, but she never did. I'd never talked to her, never seen her at school, I didn't even know her name, but still, she permeated my every thought. I wasn't sure why I'd never spoke to her, and on several occasions had tried to get myself to go after her, but never had the courage, she looked like she didn't want to be bothered.

The sound of wheels on the concrete brought me to attention and my head whipped around so see a blur of black and pink coming down the path. Her eyes were set on the ground, a hood covering her head, trying to stay dry I assumed, and despite the almost freezing temperature she wore a light jacket. I wondered if she was cold.

She was rounding a curve in the sidewalk when suddenly the board slipped out from under her and she fell onto the wet ground. I was in shock, I'd watched her ride the same curve with such grace time and after time, she'd never fell before.

Before I could process what was happening my feet were carrying me toward her soggy figure, now sitting up.

"Goddamn it." She muttered.

It was the first time I had ever heard her talk, her voice was surprisingly soft compared to her harder appearance, going straight to my stomach, making it tighten with nerves.

"Hey, are you okay?" I spoke, making her jump before turning to look at me.

"I'm fine." She grumbled harshly quickly standing and picking up her board.

Her full lips, quivered and I could hear her teeth chattering, and for the first time I looked her in the eyes. They were a deep blue, laced with small golden flecks just around her pupil, the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen. I took in every inch of her face, the small chicken pox scar just under her eye, the golden ring in her nose, even the dark shade around her eyes which I assumed was her make up running.

She turned to leave and I began to panic. I hadn't spent six months wishing I could get to know her, just to see her walk away at my first and probably last chance.

"Wait!" I grabbed her wrist, noticing the small trickle of blood trailing down her forehead from her hairline. "Did you hit your head? You're bleeding." I pointed to the red stream.

I watched as her small hands reached up to touch the blood, "Oh, um, yeah, I did. I'm fine though." She tried to leave again but I grabbed her wrist.

I couldn't let her get away.

"You could have a concussion, let me walk you home at least, I don't want you passing out or anything on your way." I offered gently.

"I'm not going home." She stated blankly.

"Well where are you going?" I asked, not caring how nosy I sounded, I had been wondering this for months.

"I don't even know you, why do you care?" She dodged the question.

Her voice was rude but I couldn't even bring myself to be offended because I was finally talking to her.

"I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I let a pretty girl like you walk off, only to pass out in the woods, especially with the weather like it is." I couldn't tell which I was more worried about, her health, or her walking away from me.

"Look, I'm a big girl I can take care of myself." She used the sleeve of her jacket to wipe the blood on her forehead again.

She ripped her arm from me and placed a foot on her board, bending over to grab the phone she had dropped, then standing quickly, before wobbling backwards but not falling.

She definitely needed to have her head looked at.

"Alright, there is no way I'm letting you leave here by yourself." I informed, grabbing her board.

She let out a frustrated sigh, "Look it's cool that you want to help and whatever but I don't need help!" She screamed, then grabbing her head in pain, probably from the loud noise and exertion.

"Why are you so against it? I think you might really be hurt. I just want to walk you home."

"I can't go home!" She said angrily.

"Why not?" I questioned confused.

She hesitated before replying "I just can't. It's a long story and I don't want to talk about it."

"Well at least let my mom look you over, she's a nurse."

I stared into her eyes, hoping she would break. I truly was worried about her.

"Fine."

"I'm Calum by the way. "

"Phoenix."

I couldn't help but smile to myself, finally learning her name after all this time.

"Are you feeling okay?" I asked, seeing her blink slowly and sleepily as we began to walk.

She nodded her head, a shiver wracking her body, the thin black jacket no match for the cold weather.

"Here." I handed her my jacket, leaving me in only my sweatshirt.

She accepted it thankfully which surprised me, she seemed like the kind of girl who didn't do anything without a fight or snarky remark.

We walked the rest of the way to my house in silence, and although I had about a million questions for her the way she put a hand to her head grimacing in pain told me now was not the time to ask.

"Mom!" I called loudly as we stepped in to my home, the heated air soothing my freezing skin.

Phoenix hissed, closing her eyes, before glaring at me. I shouldn't have yelled.

"Sorry." I apologized sheepishly.

"I'm in here!" Her voice came from the kitchen.

I lead the soaking beauty through my house, stopping in the door way, my mom was cooking dinner.

She looked up, doing a double take when she saw Phoenix standing next to me.

"Oh hi! Who's this Cal?"

"I'm Phoenix it's nice to meet you." She mustered a smile.

"Hi! It's nice to meet you too! You're a friend of Calum's?"

"Uh, yeah she is!" I interrupted, not wanting to have to explain to my mom why I brought a total stranger home.

Phoenix gave me a confused glance, but I shrugged it off turning back to my mother, "She was at the park, and she fell and hit her head pretty hard, and since you're a nurse and all I was wondering if you'd have a look at it?"

"Sure!" she patted a bar stool, motioning for Phoenix to come sit.

My heart jumped not believing the scene set out before my eyes. She was in my house, the girl, the complete mystery, was in my house.

"Well I can see you've got a small gash just at your hair line, I don't think you'll need stitches or anything... Cal go get me a flashlight."

I jogged to the garage, digging through my dad's toolbox before going back in and handing it to her.

She shined it in Phoenix's eyes, making her squint.

"Don't blind her!"

"I'm just checking for signs of brain trauma calm down."

It was quiet between the three of us until finally my mom spoke, "Well, I don't think you have a concussion, but take it easy for the next few days." She informed, "And take these." She handed her what I assumed was Tylenol.

"Thank you." She smiled softly, making me wonder what a full on smile from her would be like then letting my mind travel to how cute her laugh must be. I really hoped this wasn't the last time I saw her.

"Do you guys want some hot chocolate you must be freezing?"

"Actually I really should get going, thanks so much for everything though." She dismissed herself, standing from the stool.

"I'll walk you out." I was disappointed she was leaving, even a little scared, but somehow knew I would see her again.