Don't Stop Breathing

Three

Phoenix's POV

"Why have I never seen you at school?" Calum asked as he sat across from me at Panda Express.

"I don't know. I've seen you." I shrugged picking at the food in the bowl in front of me.

"Who do you hang out with?"

"Just Taint, I don't really get along with most people."

"Who's Taint?"

"Michael."

"Clifford?"

"Yeah."

"I have a few classes with him. He seems cool."

It was quiet between us neither of us knowing what to say to the other. I was still confused as to how I had ended up chatting over lunch with Calum Hood, soccer extraordinaire.

"So, would you consider this getting along?" Calum questioned motioning between the two of us.

I shrugged, "It hasn't even been an hour, but you bought me food so we're off to a good start."

He chuckled.

"Why did you fight Zola?"

"Is that really any of your business?" I snapped, glaring at him.

He shrugged, unscathed by my out lash before replying, "I don't know, I was just curious."

"Is that why you're doing all of this? Just to get my back story?! That's sick Calum! That's really fucking sick!" I stood from my chair, pushing it in harshly, glaring at him before walking towards the door.

I was sick and tired of fake, Taint was the only person who I'd ever really got close to, all the others only gave me a second glance in order to ease their curiosity, I don't know why, but I thought Calum would be different, maybe it was the way he helped me yesterday, making sure I made it home safely without any serious condition, and then again today. I guess I was wrong, he was just a little more desperate than the others, going to more extreme lengths to find out just what was going on in my head.

"I shouldn't have asked that I'm sorry!" His voice came from behind, getting closer as I stepped out, into the freezing air.

I felt his hand on my elbow, attempting to get my attention but I ripped my arm away from him, continuing to walk, not sure where I was going, Calum had drove me here so I didn't have a way home except for my own two feet. We were a few yards from the restaurant now.

"Hey, I'm sorry okay! I didn't mean to upset you." He stood in front of me, a hurt look set deeply in his features. He seemed genuine, but they all did.

"This wasn't a good idea Calum, I shouldn't have come with you." I said shortly, hoping it would silence his attempts at reconcile.

"Why?" His voice was small and almost sounded like a whimper.

"I can't do this right now, I don't need any more bullshit in my life." My statement was true, suspension, Zola, my mom, there was too much.

"It was a stupid question, I was having a good time, I'm sorry." He was rambling now and seemed nervous.

A gust of wind blew, chilling me through my light jacket, a shiver running through my body. There was no way I'd make it home walking in this weather.

"At least let me drive you home, it's freezing and I doubt that sweatshirt is keeping you warm."

His kind words almost melted my exterior and I wanted to tell him it was alright, but I couldn't find the right words to say without making it uncomfortable. "Fine."

He ran a hand through his hair, pulling it at the ends, walking to the car.

He started it, the air just as cold as it was outside before slowly warming up.

"I'm still sorry Phoenix, I want us to be friends." His words were guarded as we pulled out of the parking lot.

I didn't know how I felt about having another friend, especially Calum, who was nothing like the usual crowd I hung with.

When I didn't say anything he spoke again, "Can we be friends?"

"I don't know."

After that he didn't speak, but turned the radio up louder, ending any conversation, which I was thankful for. I just wanted to get home before my mom did.

I let my eyes examine my busted up knuckles, trying to keep the smirk off my lips at the thought of Zola's nose cracking under my punch.

We pulled into the neighborhood and I told him how to get to my house.

"Thanks for lunch." I said awkwardly, grabbing my things from the backseat, closing the door before Calum could reply the reality of how angry my mother would be setting in and heightening my nerves. It was only 1:00, her car wasn't in the driveway, but it would be soon enough.

I unlocked the door, trudging up to my room, I would need to leave soon.

My room was messy to say the least, a surprise, seeing how I hadn't spent much time in it lately, music posters hung on the walls, some beginning to fall down, I took a mental note of it, knowing I should fix it later, along with a few of Taint's drawings, my bed was unmade, I hadn't slept there in a while though, CDs and a few books were scattered about and a messy stack of vinyl sat next to the old 70's turntable on my nightstand. In the far corner sat an old, slightly busted guitar that Taint had been attempting to teach me how to play, clothes littered the ground and pushed them aside with my foot as I walked to my closet.

I picked out a few pairs of clothes, shoving them into a backpack along with all the other necessities I would need for a few days, placing it on my bed so I could leave right when I got out of the shower. If I was going to be at The House for as long as I planned, a shower was definitely in order.

The scalding water hit my body, distracting me from my current nervousness. I didn't have time to sit around and relax though, I only had a few hours to get out of the house and I wanted to leave some extra time to allow for error, plus it was stinging my knuckles and busted lip.

I stepped out of the shower, drying myself quickly before scurrying off to my room, where I slipped on a pair of jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and my black vans, it was cold out, so I quickly blow dried my hair, grabbing a beanie and a hoodie for good measure. It was about 3:00 now and my mom would be home in about an hour, give or take.

I grabbed my board, slinging the backpack holding all of my clothes over my shoulder and taking my school bag in my hand before heading out the door.

It was freezing and the clouds above told me there was a good chance of snow, which I prayed wouldn't fall. If it did I'd be up all night, unable to keep myself warm.

As I past the spot where I'd fallen just the day before, I let my mind wander to Calum. I wasn't really mad about the question anymore, and something in me still held onto the idea that he was in it for more than the answers to his questions. I would give him another chance.

I took the small dirt path by foot, then venturing off, and taking the almost unnoticeable path, made by the almost daily trampling of the grass by my feet, which I assumed only I had ever taken. My feet carried me for about another five minutes, before I came to the place I was searching for.

A small shack-like structure stood, slightly hidden by all the trees, nearly all the windows were blown out and the roof had a few holes in it, the door was slightly intact but leaned a bit forward leaving a small gap at the top. It definitely wasn't perfect but it was safe.

My mom wasn't abusive she never hit me accept for maybe a pop in the mouth that all smartass teenagers were destined to get, but that was all. She didn't have to hit me though, her words alone and the way whatever was in her reach crashed against the wall with anger was enough to scare me away from her. But that wasn't the worst. The worst part was when she went on about my dad. He had passed away about a year ago in a car accident. I was in the car with him, and although I had nothing to do with the accident she loved to blame it all on me, screaming at the top of her lungs about your dead father this, your dead father that, it's all your fault, I hate you. I knew I wasn't to blame, but the words still hurt and made me wonder if I maybe could have done something to save him.

I entered the decrepit place, seeing everything just as I'd left it. A few books sat on the floor next to the small plastic tub that held a pillow and two blankets along with a flashlight. That's all I dared keep here in case someone did happen to wander in.

I sat on the floor, pulling the laptop out of my bag, there wasn't internet or anything but it could play music. Although there wasn't really anything to do I wasn't bored, and usually spent my time here reading books, it was relaxing to go to another place for awhile.