Timed

Chapter 9

They were amazed. It was as if they’d never seen anything like it. I had done mind speak. It was incredible, I spoke to Claus’ thoughts; he smiled.

There are more than just the illusion seeds, his smile dropped, there is also levitation, telekinesis, and shape shifting, and micro kinesis, and absorbing and stealing energy from your opponent.

It all seemed weird-it didn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense since I was only a beginner, and, as Cullen had said before, I was a weak human that had no purpose of being there. But there was a purpose to it. I had to kill and torture. An assassin was all that was on our minds. Getting me to the exact level as them was going to be even more difficult. Which is first?

Stealing energy. He wiggled his eyebrows at me, his body had let loose for a moment before he had moved to the opposite side of me.

He held me by the waist, our bodies were creating the same magnetic energy Ace and I had created before. My heart was racing, the pulse was skyrocketing, and each beat dropped sweat in lines. And, he breathed in, that is how you steal energy.

By nearly giving someone a heart attack, and almost making them claustrophobic? That’s abnormal! I crossed my eyes, he smiled, a small smile that lifted my head up to gaze even longer at him.

What’s abnormal to you is normal to us. We trick the weak into thinking like that.

“I can’t believe I’m hearing this.” I clenched my fist and beated it against my chest.

He slowly began to walk past me until I grabbed his hand. “Tell me, because I don’t fully understand…”

Understand what? Stealing energy? You see, it is quite easy-

“Don’t start on me with that crap! I know already, it is quite easy, and I should practice on Kenny, if I want to master that trick.”

Right, he smiled, he was chiseled. His smile was chiseled. I actually would suggest practicing on me instead. His smile grew wider. His old charm didn’t fool me-I had watched too many thrillers to know what the bad guy was up to, or at least what the trainer was going to put me through-he was going to throw me into obstacles that had made me oblivious, and had evidently caused me to choke and surrender.

“What do I do first?” I asked; my arms now wide open.

First, approach your victim with ease; don’t make them assume you are after them, or after what they have hidden. He lowered his arms, and he had spread his legs.

I approached, slowly, not letting the space get any bigger.

He touched my shoulders, and kept me a good distance from him; he had moved my legs a bit farther from where I had stood two minutes ago.

Now, he glazed his eyes, his feet going backward, and remaining in a spot two feet from me. Focus, approach with silence; activate the illusion seeds to distract them.

But you didn’t distract me. I whined.

This is the beginning, this is how you approach the person-you want them to make it seem like you are weak, and hurt.

I’m not a filthy liar, like you. I dared him.

It’s not lying, it’s a trick. He rolled his eyes.

Fine, but if you hurt me, I’m telling Eustace. We both snorted, only he had let out a puff of air that rang amusement.

I approached, sending my mental nets out, tossing them farther, and swimming to the middle of his mind, circling around, dropping down seeds, and making sure they were like time bombs.

Approach- he had grown silent then, I could tell he was beginning to have an illusion.

It had been an hour already. We were now walking along a trail that lead up towards a mountaintop. The flowers had curved towards the bottom of the mountain, the petals outlined with white lines, and black speckles had covered the pink petals. It had a yellow ovary; it was as bright as the suns rays that danced around both of our silhouettes as we approached the top.

“I didn’t get the chance to ask you, what are you exactly?” I asked.

Well, first, I have been living since the Roman Empire had collapsed. I am a werewolf. I was destined to protect a family, but failed to do so.

“Why is that? Did they die?” I asked, my voice turned concerned.

They ran away; they couldn’t stand living next door to a person that smelt like dog. He chuckled.

“Oh, did you ever find them?” I asked.

He shook his head, his face structure was heavy, and his eyes revealed that he was in deep thought.

They vanished without a trace; you are the only person that knows. The council doesn’t even know, or the Immortalis.

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out, except a yawn.

I think we better get going, it feels like it is going to rain soon.

He had huddled me close, and my eyes went towards the sky, there was not a single cloud there. I assumed he meant later, but he was right the first time. By the time we had gotten down, it was already starting to drizzle.

“If you’re a werewolf, then why don’t you shift?” I questioned.

It’s not like the movies where we can shift anytime we want, or during a full moon. We shift when it is needed-it goes like this: a newborn werewolf can’t help but constantly shift all the time, a werewolf that is born under a full moon can’t control itself during a full moon, but for full moon werewolves, it takes practice to control their change, even if there is a full moon.

Nodding away, my mind had swept everything up and had processed it fully. “What type of werewolf controls themselves during a full moon?”

A lycanthropist, but therianthropist can do the same.

“I learnt they believed their spirits were connected to a wolf, not believe they’re actually werewolves.”

That is true, but for me, I’m different, a therianthropist doesn’t transform into a real wolf physically, they transform mentally. For me, I was born on a full moon, I am, what many of you humans call a lycanthropist-a real werewolf.

“I see, but how are you immortal? I thought werewolves were like people, not vampires.”

Like Ace, I had sworn an oath to protect that family, and that was how I was destined.

“Why don’t you speak?” I questioned. He stopped then, his face turned towards me, he looked offended.

I’ve grown used to using mind speak, I refuse to verbally speak of anything in front of people. People aren’t easy to trust. People are known to break you until you find blood splattered along the walls, do you know what I mean?

“I kind of do-basically, the longer you trust someone, the quicker it is they will stab you in the back.”

He nodded his head.

It had been four hours now, we had finally made it to the site where everyone was either planning or helping set up camp.

“How was practice?” My father asked, his face not marked with any emotion.

“It was good,” I said.

I think she has a good chance at surviving, and she has a killer streak; she is pretty easy to get through, too.

“That’s good,” he rested his arm on my shoulder, “I’m proud of you; I’m sorry for leaving you a long time ago-you may not want to forgive me now, but sometime down the road, when you’re ready, you will forgive me.”

I pulled him into a hug; it was the hug that had reeled in memories of my earliest years with my dad. I had leaked tears before, but not as strong as then. I released, my tears drying quickly, and he didn’t seem to notice due to the rain that had begun to grow stronger.

“We leave tomorrow,” I flung my eyes open wide, I wasn’t ready. I knew I wasn’t, but someone inside of me told me to get over it, and go get back what was mine.

“When do we leave?” I asked, my eyes gawking everywhere.

“First thing at six in the morning, so rest up easily, and eat well.” He said.

The fire roared in excitement, everyone in the group began to cheer. A variety of meat was served, even the most exotic meats that were only available in Europe. Especially homemade bratwurst from Germany-it was one of Jalynn’s specialties. He was also a gargoyle who was being hunted down, because he had finished his destiny too quickly.

He was born to royalty-he was the ninth cousin of Edward the V of England. He had a reason to leave his homeland, he had told me that he wanted to leave right before he was destined. His destiny was to fight in the Great War in the Baltic Sea during 1470.

His real name was Henry, however, he had changed it to Jalynn in the 1950’s. He had no other family, and he only had himself to fend for. “If you need any advice, ask now,” his accent was broken. Due to the many years abroad in Germany, he had the same accent foreigner’s had spoken before coming here.

“How do I know if someone is a werewolf, vampire, or gargoyle?”

He sighed, “By their direct appearance.”

“What do you mean?”

“If they gaze and see that you are keeping eye contact for too long, they will flee, and they will know instantly you are either part of the council, or you’re an assassin.”

I nodded my head. It seemed to make sense.

Somewhere, deep in the outskirts of both Canada and the United States, there laid vampires, werewolves, and gargoyles. And, that was where I came in.