Timed

Chapter 16

The cellar door swung open, I lay on my bed, listening to footsteps that quickly walk past my cell. I hear faint whispers, they were coming directly from the outside of the cell.

“I'm next,” the voice broke.

A guard had not spoken. He handcuffed the prisoner with new cuffs, and led him up the stairs. Just before the door closed, I ran towards the door; however, the intensity of my own cuffs had pulled me back, my side hitting the ground. I wailed out a cry. “Don't hurt him,” I whimpered.

I slowly got back to my feet, “Eustace?” I whispered.

I heard silence. The silence was the only friend I had for now.

“Calm down, child.” I heard my mom whisper.

I glanced around. “Where's daddy?” I asked.

Her face fell from the usual smile that she wore. She let go of my hand and walked out of the room.

“Why me?” I asked myself.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the slightly burnt picture of my mom and dad. I glanced and then ripped it. Tears were threatening to burn my eyes if I did not stop.

“Ivory,” a voice called from the other side.

I glanced up, oblivious to the mess I made in front of me.

I did not speak. Words did not want to leave my lips.

“Alright, if you wish not to speak, then the council will speak for you.” the voice said.

I rolled my eyes and nodded.

The man with the deep voice walked in. It was the Elder all along that was speaking to me.

A young man walked by his side.

“We are are here to make a deal,” the young man spoke.

The Elder gazed at him with darting eyes. I pressed my legs together, trying to cause blood to come out, but there was no use since I had lost my strength.

“We wanted the venom to kill you,” the Elder began. “But now there is more in the future that we need to keep an eye on.”

I got to my feet. “What's the deal?” I asked.

“Come,” the Elder spoke.

He walked off then, not realizing that I was still chained up.

“Sir,” I squeaked.

He turned his head, his mouth slightly agape. “Ah, yes.” he softly spoke.

He grabbed the guards keys, and forced the young man to walk towards me to uncuff me.

We walked through the cell door, and up to the main parlor, where the Elder and his chairmen sat.

I kept my head down. My breathing was becoming heavy.

I am stopped by a podium, and forced onto my knees. “Welcome,” a woman spoke.

I look up and slightly smile at her.

She returns the smile. Her hips slightly bent.

“Now, to tell you what the deal is,” the Elder spoke.

We both waited in anticipation. Waiting for what he was going to say. It felt as if an hour had gone by, but it was only ten minutes.

“Betrothed.” he spat out.

We glanced at each other. This was his plan, and he was going to get it.