Disconnected

2

When I landed at the airport, I searched the crowded room for Ashton, hoping I would spot him without trouble.

When I did, I noticed him standing with a sign that had my name on it. I grinned and practically ran over to him.

When he saw me, he opened his arms, and I walked into them for a bone crushing hug.

“I missed you, Abby.” He mumbled. “You were gone for too long!”

I smiled and ruffled his hair.

“I missed you too, cous. But I’m here now, so. Hey, I thought your band members were coming?” I looked around, not seeing anyone else.

Ashton nodded.

“They’re out in the car. If we all came in together, we’d have a higher chance of being recognized, you know?”

I didn’t know, but I nodded like I did. I mean, it must’ve been hard for them. I looped my arm through his.

“Okay. Then let’s go.” I urged, excited to get going.

“Wait.” Ashton stopped and looked at me, serious face in place. “Before we see everyone, I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your parents….” I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. “And how I didn’t come for the funeral. I was…”

“Touring. I know. I get it. It’s fine, Ash.” I tried to put on a reassuring smile, and he smiled back at me.

“Okay. Onward.” He declared, practically dragging me out the airport doors.

When we got to a black SUV, Ashton pulled open the back and threw my bags inside, gesturing for me to open the passenger door and get in.

Once inside, I turned and looked at the three individuals in back, currently having an argument about which Blink 182 song was best.

The one with the crazy dyed hair and the one with the brown hair argued intensely and loudly, talking over each other, but it was the one with the blond hair and the lip ring that intrigued me.

He talked softly, and only interjected occasionally to say something. The rest of the time, he stared out the window.

I was intrigued because not only was he different compared to the others, but something in the way he bit his lip made me realize that there was something going on under the surface that I wanted to get to know more about.

I must have spaced out, because Ashton was now in the car, and waving a hand in front of my face. The three others had gone silent.

“As I was saying.” Ashton said, giving me a weird look. “Band mates, this is Abby, Abby, this is Mikey.” He gestured to the boy with the dyed hair, who grinned at me, waving enthusiastically. “Calum.” He pointed at the boy with brown hair, who smiled and waved as well, a little less manically. “And Luke.” Ashton finished as Luke looked briefly away from the window and offered a small smile my way. “He’s moody.”

I laughed at Ashton’s description of his friend, and smiled at them all.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you all, but I just wanted to say you’re wrong, because Going Away To College is the best Blink 182 song.”

Their jaws all dropped and Mikey and Calum both started arguing with me immediately, but it turned into them arguing with each other. I stayed quiet and looked in the rearview mirror as Ashton starting driving away.

My eyes locked with Luke’s, and a small smirk danced on his face.