Disconnected

21

When we got to the studio, the first thing I noticed was the police car out front. I gulped and my heart raced as I jumped out of the car and ran into the building. Calum met me inside the doorway.

“What the hell is happening?” I asked.

“Okay, listen, Abby. Your ex boyfriend stopped by.”

“He did what?” My heart stopped.

“He came here and burst through the door and started raving and rambling at Luke and Ashton and well this isn’t important, what is important is that Luke’s hurt because he attacked them and he refused to let us drive him to get checked out until you came. He’s a little freaked out.”

“Fuck.” I mumbled. “Okay. Let’s go.”

We opened the door and I gasped when I saw Luke on the floor, holding a bloody towel to his head, Michael next to him, talking to him.

“Oh, thank god you’re here Abby.” Michael said when he saw me standing there. I nodded and Michael moved out of the way as I crouched down in front of my boyfriend.

“Hi.” I mumbled, trying to remain calm. His lip quivered and I sighed, kissing his cheek gently. I noticed he was holding the towel to the back of his head. “Lukie, it looks like you’ve lost a lot of blood, and you need stitches, hon, okay?”

“’M fine.” He mumbled, almost incoherently. I groaned and tried to stay calm and focused.

“Babe, you’re gonna pass out soon if you don’t come with us, okay? I’ll be right next to you the whole time, I promise.”

I then signaled for Michael and Calum to help him up and they did, but I remained in his eyesight the whole time.

“Where’s Ashton?” I asked.

“Talking to the police so we can get that asshole behind bars. We can tell him to meet us there.” Calum said.

They put Luke in the backseat of the car and I slid in next to him, gripping his hand and kissing it.

“You’re still with us, right, Lukie?” I asked softly, kissing his hand.

“My head hurts.” He mumbled.

“I know, baby, but you’re going to go get it fixed.”

“I just wanna go home.”

“Soon, babe, soon.”

Just then, we pulled into the hospital, and we hauled Luke inside, getting him into a room. I followed him in, keeping my promise of being beside him the whole time, while the boys waited in the waiting room for Ashton. I gripped Luke’s hand in mine as the doctor confirmed that he did in fact need stitches. He winced as the doctor began his work, and I kissed the back of his hand gently.

“You’re doing so good, Lukie, I promise.”

When the doctor was done, he turned to me.

“Basically, the stitches will stop the bleeding, but he has a mild concussion, and we want to keep him here overnight for observation. The medicine we gave him for the pain is going to make him drowsy, as you can already see.”

I looked at my half asleep boyfriend on the bed.

“Okay, thank you.”

The doctor left, and I kissed Luke’s cheek.

“I’m so sorry.” I mumbled, feeling a tear roll down my cheek. Luke was already asleep, snoring softly. I sighed and kissed his cheek one last time before going out to the waiting room to update the boys. When I saw Ashton, the tears in my eyes turned to full on sobs. His face was cut up and bruised. Immediately, he pulled me into his arms.

“Shh, Abby. It’s alright.” He muttered.

“I’m so sorry.” I repeated through my tears.

“Abby, none of this is your fault.” My cousin assured me.

I broke apart from him and shook my head.

“It is my fault.” I turned to address all 3 boys. “Luke has to stay here overnight. He has a concussion they want to monitor. He’s already asleep.”

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

“He’ll be okay, Abs.” Calum assured me as they guided me to come sit next to them.

“So what happened with Alex? Is he going to jail?” I asked Ashton.

Ashton sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“I don’t know. It depends on if someone posts bail for him or not.”

I nodded, feeling so guilty, but also knowing that it was highly unlikely anyone would post bail for him from countries away.

“What was he even saying to you guys that made you fight him?” I asked, not really knowing if I wanted the answer. All 3 boys exchanged a look, and then Ashton cleared his throat, balling his fists at his sides.

“Just not very nice things involving you and threats to you. But it’s done. It’s over and I don’t want to talk about it anymore. You’re here safe with us, and we’re all going to be okay.”

I didn’t know if he was saying these things to assure me or himself, or both, but I sighed.

“Are we sleeping here tonight?” Michael asked softly.

“I am.” I replied, shrinking down in my seat and becoming as comfortable as I could get. Calum took off his hoodie and draped it over my body, kissing my cheek before speaking.

“We’re all going to stay. We’ll get through this. Our little family can get through anything.”