Disconnected

22

“You cannot be serious, Ashton Irwin!” I scolded my cousin the next afternoon.

“I’m sorry. I forgot!” He groaned.

“How did you just happen to forgot to tell me that you have a girlfriend? And that she’s coming over today?”

“To be fair, we’ve all been preoccupied.” He fired back quietly.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

“I’m going to be meeting this girl on 2 hours of sleep. Your face is beat up. Luke is concussed.”

“’m fine.” Luke mumbled from next to me on the couch.

I sighed and kissed his cheek gently. We had just left the hospital an hour ago, and it dawned on Ashton that he had forgot to tell his girlfriend what was happening and to reschedule. His girlfriend who I had yet to meet because he had only asked her out right before they left for America, and had no time to tell me.

“I know it’s not an ideal situation, but I was planning on telling you, I swear! I want you to meet her, Abs.”

“Okay.” I sighed. “Sorry, I’m just stressed. I’m sure I’m gonna love her.”

Ashton grinned and pulled me into a side hug before departing upstairs to change, leaving me alone with my boyfriend, since Michael and Calum were out getting food. I sighed, turning to Luke.

“Are you sure you’re up for this, sweetie?” I asked gently, rubbing his arm.

“Yeah, Absy. I’m good. It doesn’t even hurt that much anymore. Just don’t leave my side, okay?”

I laughed and kissed his nose.

“Never, babe.”

I knew that something my ex boyfriend had said rattled my friends to the core, because they were all very concerned all day, watching me and making sure I didn’t leave their eyesight. I wanted to ask what he said, but I knew it wasn’t the time. Instead, I just made sure they all knew I wasn’t going anywhere. Luke squeezed me tighter and kissed my cheek.

“Thank you.” He mumbled.

“The second you get tired, we’re going to bed, okay? I don’t want you to make your injury worse.”

“Yes, mom.”

“Don’t ‘yes, mom’ me, Hemmings. I was scared all night about you. I just… I want you to be safe is all. I don’t want to lose you.”

Just then, Michael and Calum came through the door, pizza boxes in hand, and Ashton bounded down the stairs as the doorbell rang. Michael and Calum set the pizzas down and plopped down next to us on the couch before Ashton opened the door.

“Woah, Ash, what happened to your face?” I heard a female voice ask as soon as he opened the door.

“It’s a long story that I will tell you later, babe. But I’m fine. Come in.”

Then, a small blonde girl stepped through the door and Ashton guided her by the waist to the living room.

“You already know these 3 idiots, but Holly this is my cousin Abby. Abby this is Holly.”

“Oh, hi! I’ve heard so much about you.” She chirped, grinning at me.

“Oh, uhm, you too.” I lied. Michael scoffed from beside me and I hit him on the arm. “Really. I’m glad I get to meet you.”

Ashton grinned and pulled her down on the other couch next to him, grabbing the remote for the TV. I reached over for a slice of pizza and then looked over at Luke, who had his eyes half closed.

“Hungry, Lukie?” I asked quietly. He shook his head and pulled me back toward him. I laughed and kissed his cheek. “Tired, Lukie?”

He nodded and whined when I untangled my limbs from his to stand up.

“It’s been really great meeting you, and I’m sorry it couldn’t be for longer, but concussed boy and I are going to head up to bed.”

“Oh, really?” Holly pouted. “Here, I’ll give you my number and we can meet up this week for lunch or something? Girls day?”

Her face looked so hopeful that I couldn’t deny it. I quickly handed her my phone and let her program her number it while I hugged the boys goodnight. The last thing I heard while Luke and I walked up the stairs was her confused voice.

“Hold up, did she just say concussed??”