Disconnected

3

When we pulled up to the house the four boys shared, I smiled. It was an adorable, perfectly sized house, and I knew I would love it here immediately.

We got out of the car and Ashton flung an arm around my shoulders.

“You like it so far?” He asked. I vigorously nodded as Luke grabbed my bag from the car and Calum and Michael took off running toward the house.

“Thank you, Lukie.” I ruffled Luke’s hair and he raised an eyebrow at me.

“Lukie?” He asked. “We’ve started with the nicknames?”

I smiled and nodded as we entered the home.

“Okay, then, I’ll just have to come up with one for you.” He stated.

I shrugged and took in the inside of the home, which opened into a living room, attached to a kitchen.
Ashton smiled and pulled me along, toward the staircase and up it, Luke following behind.

We got to the top of the stairs and took a right, going to a room at the very end of the hall.

I took in the room that would be my home for who knows how long, and smiled.

“And this is your room.” Ashton stated as Luke dropped my bag on the floor. “It’s connected by a bathroom to Luke’s room, so you guys will unfortunately have to share a bathroom. It sucks, because he makes a flood after he showers.”

Luke scowled playfully at Ashton and turned to leave the room.

I looked around the room, surveying it, then turned to my cousin, pulling him into a hug.

“Thank you so much, Ash, really.” I said softly. “Thank you for this opportunity and thank you for letting me be a part of your life again.”

Ashton ruffled my hair, and I looked up to see that he was getting a little emotional.

He composed himself and looked me in the eyes.

“No. Thank you, Abby.” He said simply. “Also, try not to flirt with Luke. I know he’s your type, but he’s also my bandmate.”

I blushed about 800 shades of red.

“I barely know him, Ash. And I have a boyfriend, don’t forget that.”

Ashton scoffed and opened his mouth to protest, but my phone started ringing, Alex’s face flashing across the screen.

“Speaking of my boyfriend, it’s Alex. Can I have a minute?” I asked my cousin.

He sighed.

“Yes, but this conversation isn’t over.” He called over his shoulder as he left the room.

I rolled my eyes as I hit answer on the call.

“Hey, babe.” I greeted, plopping down on the bed in the middle of the room.

“Hey, Abby.” Alex replied. “Just making sure you got there okay.”

“Yup, I got here fine, dear.” I bounced my leg up and down, eager to go hang out with my new friends. I mean, I’d be spending the next however long with them, and I wanted to get to know them. I immediately felt guilty for having these thoughts while my boyfriend was talking, so I tried to focus back in on what he was saying, but he was sighing.

“Do you listen to any of that, Abby?” He asked. I sighed, running a hand over my face.

“No, sorry, babe, I zoned out.” I admitted.

“Abby I-“ But before he could say anything else, Luke burst into the room.

“Come on, Absy, we’re watching a movie!” He stated.

I rolled my eyes at the nickname that he came up with and held my finger up to gesture I’d be down in a minute. He sighed and bounded back out of the room.

“Who was that?” Alex’s annoyed voice came through the phone. I laughed.

“One of Ashton’s band mates, Luke. You have nothing to worry about, babe.”

“He called you Absy.”

I closed my eyes in frustration. I did not want to have this conversation.

“I’ve got to go, Alex. You have nothing to worry about. I love you.” I hung up the phone and put it down on my bed, getting up and going downstairs, frustrated.

I was frustrated that my boyfriend couldn’t trust me, and was getting jealous already.

I made my way into the living room and sat down in the empty space next to Luke on the couch, still fuming.

Luckily everyone was so engrossed in the movie, they didn’t make any comments.

Or, I thought everyone was engrossed in the movie until Luke turned and looked at me.

“You alright?” He asked softly, so only I could hear.

My heart fluttered at this. This boy, who I had only just met, cared about my feelings enough to ask if I was okay, while my own boyfriend didn’t even stop to think about me, getting jealous instantly.

I closed my eyes to avoid Luke’s stare and replied.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I muttered. “Thanks for asking, Lukie.”

Luke put his hand on my knee and squeezed in a reassuring way before removing it and focusing his attention back on the movie.

But I couldn’t focus, all I felt was the ghost of his hand still on my knee.

I gulped.

I was in big trouble here.