Disconnected

7

I woke up with my arm hanging over the side of the bed, but Luke was no longer there. I heard the shower running from the bathroom.

I sighed and got up from bed, slowly padding toward the kitchen, in need of caffeine.

In the kitchen, I found Ashton doing dishes, scrubbing a little harder than necessary. I gulped and tried to smile.

“Morning, Ash.” I said quietly, pouring myself a cup of coffee.

Ashton didn’t respond, but I noticed him scrubbing the dishes even harder.

I sighed and put my mug down on the counter, walking closer to my cousin.

“Ash, talk to me.” I demanded.

He spun around and looked at me.

“Luke was in your bedroom this morning.” He stated, crossing his arms over his chest. I closed my eyes. So that was what this was about.

“Ashton, he slept on the floor for christ’s sake.” I muttered, trying not to get too upset over this.

“Why was he in there, Abigail?” Ashton asked, taking a step closer to me.

I sighed and took a deep breath before answering, not wanting to admit what had happened the night before.

“Ashton, I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Did something happen, Abby?”

I bit my lip, hard, tasting blood.

“Ashton, my boyfriend had been fucking my best friend.”

The air in the room became tense, and I heard Ashton take a breath.

“He called and told me that and I was upset and Luke heard me having a mental breakdown and he came in and calmed me down and he chose to sleep on the uncomfortable floor when I asked him to stay instead of my bed to make you fucking happy and you’re still upset. Figures.”

I turned on my heel and walked back towards my bedroom, needing an out from this fight.

Ashton’s overprotective older cousin vibe was getting obnoxious.

I took the stairs two at a time and went into my room, noticing Luke was out of the shower.

I quickly went into the bathroom and stripped, showering and getting ready for the first official day of writing.

When I was ready, I walked downstairs to find Luke, Cal, and Michael waiting for me.

“You ready?” Cal asked.

I nodded.

“Where’s Ashton?”

“He had to make a stop first.” Luke said. “He’s going to meet us there.”

I shrugged, still a little mad at him, and followed Luke as he led the way out the door.

When we got to the studio, the boys stopped me outside it.

“Prepare yourself.” Michael stated.

“Take a few deep breaths.” Cal added.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes, opening the door to the studio.

I stopped in my tracks though, when I saw who was standing there, smiling at me.

“You’re uhm- you’re Alex Gaskarth.” I stuttered out, instantly regretting not taking those deep breaths before walking in.

“I am.” Alex said, letting out an amused laugh as he came over and pulled me into a hug. I wanted to pinch myself. “And you must be Abby. I hear you’re a huge fan of our band.”

I grinned at this.

“Yeah, I’ve been a fan since I was like 12 or 13.” I admitted sheepishly.

He smiled.

“I’m glad fans like you exist, to keep us going.” He stated simply.

I smiled at him, then turned around to the three boys standing in the doorway, smirking.

“I can’t believe you boys didn’t tell me Alex Gaskarth was going to be here!” I scolded.

“Sorry, Abs!” They chorused. I rolled my eyes.

“Okay, let’s sit over here and wait for Ash.” Alex suggested, gesturing to the couches.

I plopped down on one between Luke and Alex, and started to talk to Alex, getting to know him, as the boys all sat on their phones.

However, about 10 minutes in, I noticed Luke’s face getting angrier and angrier as he looked at his phone.

Then, he got up and stalked out the door.

Alex raised an eyebrow at me, and I excused myself, getting up to follow Luke, wondering what was wrong.