Status: Active

Just Swimmingly

Chapter 2

Scott

I woke up in the morning feeling more tired than a hipster without coffee. I sighed and walked into the kitchen. My mom was making pancakes.
"Good morning, Scottie."
"Morning, Mom." I stretched, and winced from the pain in my arms.
"Did the coach work you guys hard at practice yesterday?"
"Yeah." She put three pancakes on my plate.
"Eggs and hash browns are coming up."
"Thanks, Mom." I shoveled all three pancakes down and waited for the eggs and hash browns. My phone buzzed and I supressed a groan. It was my crazy ex-girlfriend, Kinny.

From: Kinny Cell

Good morning babyy ;)

I didn't reply. No words in the English dictionary could make this girl leave me alone. My mom put the eggs and hash browns on my plate. I tried to hide my phone from her, but she already knew.
"Is poor Kinny still head over heels for you?" I nodded quickly. "Scottie, why don't you at least talk to her?"
"Because she's a psycho, Mom. She doesn't trust me with anything, so she won't let me get a word in edgewise."
"Well until you do talk to her, her parents won't leave me alone. They're accusing me of raising you the wrong way and telling me that you have no respect for their daughter. I told them if I can survive without your father, a man I was married to for twenty years, then their daughter can survive without you, a boy she dated in high school for six months." I sighed. I felt bad that Kinny was dragging my mother into our break up, but I wouldn't have put it past her. I finished my breakfast quietly.
"Okay, Mom. I'll try to talk to her," I promised when I was finished chewing. She smiled.
"Thank you, honey. Now have a good day at school and at practice!"

---

As I pulled into the parking lot at school, I noticed a circle of cheerleaders and jocks near the entrance. It looked like someone was in the middle. Almost...trapped. It didn't look like anyone I'd ever seen before. Was that...dark hair? With colors in it? It couldn't be. I parked and stepped out, curious as to what all the commotion as about. But out of nowhere, Kinny pounced.
"SCOTTIEEE!" She jogged up to me and jumped on my back. I felt my knees buckle, but I didn't fall. The next meet was tomorrow; I couldn't afford any injuries.
"Kinny...get off...of my back," I mustered as calmly as I could. She jumped off, and I stood up straight. Unsurprisingly, she was wearing a low cut shirt and extra-tight yoga pants. She leaned forward, giving me a clear view of her bra. I looked away, shuddering. So much more trouble than they were worth.
"So Scottie, what time do you want me at your meet tomorrow?" I groaned.
"When it ends."
"Oh!" Her eyes lit up mischeiviously. "So we can have some post-meet fun?" I laughed loudly.
"No! So you can watch me leave, because you're obviously not getting the verbal hints!"
"Wh-what are you saying?" Okay, good. Maybe she'd leave me alone after I explained it to her for the billionth time.
"We're done. We've been done for three weeks now, but you continue to bother me." She laughed.
"Oh Scottie, we're so not done. We'll be done when I say we're done." I locked my car and walked away. "Take me home after school!" she called after me. I chuckled to myself. Yeah, good luck with that.

Jennifer

After I got out of the Circle of Fucks, I was almost late to first period.
"Watch it, Ms. Baskins," my teacher warned me. I nodded and took my seat.
"Yeah, you should be more careful next time, Basket Case," whispered the cheerleader that sat next to me. Her friend next to her giggled and they quietly high fived. They had both been a part of the circle that trapped me. Like I called it earlier, the Circle of Fucks. They liked to tease people and inflate each other's egos. I rolled my eyes and ignored them both, copying down the board.
"So, at an atomic level..."
"Hey, Basket Case!" whispered the person behind me, trying to get my attention. Probably to further harass me. I ignored them and played my iPod. I only had one earbud in, so I could still hear them whispering about me.
"She's so weird."
"I heard she slept with every guy in her old town."
"Yeah, I also heard she's had like, ten abortions." I was about to put the other earbud in to block the idiots out, but a note with various handwriting landed on my desk.

Basket Case
With the ugly face
You're a disgrace
To the human race

B itch
A ss
S lut
K ill yourself
E www!
T ransfer
C razy
A s fuck
S kank
E xpell yourself

Basket Case is the
Most sluttiest girl I know
We should kick her out

Jenny Basket Case
Can you please get out of here?
Go fuck somewhere else

Wow. Haikus about how much these people hated me. They were definitely taking it up a level. I sat there and laughed to myself, Silverstein screaming in my right ear. My fellow students seemed to think that I liked this school, yet I had done nothing to even show a hint of that, unless showing up to get verbally harassed on a daily basis shows that one enjoys school. I crinkled up the note, hearing supressed laughter behind me, and put it in my pocket. I'd put it in the next recycle bin I found myself near. I know I probably should've shown it to my teacher or even the principal, but I really had no proof of who wrote it. I just knew that they were more than likely in the Circle of Fucks.
"Basket Case, did you like my little poem about going to fuck somewhere else?" whispered the person behind me. I turned around and smiled.
"Yes, and I'm glad you're finally learning how to count out your syllables," I said sweetly. His face was priceless, and everyone who could hear our little conversation knew he couldn't do anything to me. From what I'd seen, no matter how big of a douche a guy was in this town, he never hit a girl. Even if everybody hated said girl. Well, it was one small thing that was in my favor. I should at least be thankful for that.

---

Once the bell rang, I was out of that class faster than anybody else. I threw the note into the nearby recycle can and quickly walked to my second period.

Scott

As I was walking out of my first period class, I saw an unfamiliar girl rush out of the science lab and throw a wadded up piece of paper in the recycle bin. I almost smacked my head against the wall when I recognized her hair. It was dark and had different colors in it. So I wasn't imagining things. And honestly, it looked good on her. Unique. A bunch of people walked out behind her, laughing and calling after her.
"Later, Basket Case!" I braced myself as I pretended to throw something in recycle bin and fished out the ball of paper she had thrown away. Why am I even doing this? It's none of my business. I ignored my thoughts and uncrumbled it. My blood ran cold. People were saying such horrible things to this girl. I felt bad because I even recognized some of the handwriting. They were calling her ugly, slutty, and even telling her to go kill herself. I watched as she seemingly ignored the comments and walked into a classroom that was down the hall from my next class. I was pretty sure the notes affected her; she was human after all, and some of the things in there were horrible, something people shouldn't say to other people. And who knew how long she'd been receiving these notes? Other than rushing out of the classroom, she seemed so calm about them; like they were routine. My stomach turned at the thought of being called so many names five days a week. Maybe I could do something about it. Okay, well, probably not. But I could at least show her that not everybody hated her and maybe even save her life while I'm at it. I don't have much else on my agenda, after all.

---

Once the bell rang for second period, I was out of there. I saw her walk out of her class, slightly slower than she did in first period. So I was right; the notes really did affect her. Just as I was about to approach her, Kinny jumped on my back.
"Surprise!" she squealed in my ear. I groaned.
"Get off," I said sternly. She jumped off, acting like I had asked her politely.
"Okay, baby."
"Stop calling me that!" The traffic in the hall stopped around us. "We're not going out!"
"Wh-what?"
"Kinny, I've been saying the same thing for three weeks. We're done," I said evenly. Kinny wailed and the crowd around us gasped.
"Y-you l-liar! You've n-never s-said anything about th-this!" sobbed Kinny. What?! I'd been saying the same thing for three weeks! I just told her today before school started! But before I could defend myself, guys began to call out whatever names they could think of.
"Jerk!"
"Asshole!"
"Yeah, way to go." Kinny continued to cry. I ignored them all and rushed to my third period. They had no right to judge me. They weren't even a part of the situation. At that moment, I honestly felt connected to the one they called Basket Case.

Jennifer

There were so many people in the hallway today near my class, but luckily they didn't seem to care about me.
"Jerk!"
"Asshole!"
"Yeah, way to go." Those were guy terms, and I didn't hear "Basket Case" anywhere in there, so I hurried off to third period before another circle formed. I heard a girl cry among the chants of insults. Either somebody got dumped or her boyfriend was getting beaten up. Maybe both. Either way, I felt bad for the crying girl, but I needed to get to my third period. Math was hard enough for me without the knowledge that the whole class, including the teacher, hated me.

Scott

"So, we can conclude that by this..." I wasn't even paying attention to my teacher. I took my iPod out and hit shuffle. Kenny Chesney, skip. Garth Brooks, skip. Reba McEntire, skip. Skip, skip, skip, skip. None of these songs felt like they would cut it right now, when the majority of the school thought I was some insensitive jerk who broke girl's hearts for fun. Probably none of them knew I was even dating Kinny in the first place. For all they know, we could've started dating a week ago. I chuckled to myself. If only. I turned on the radio, but nothing distracted me. It was like none of the songs about breaking up were helping me, even though I had just broken up with Kinny. I sighed, turned my iPod off, and tried to focus. Lunch would be a doozy.