Status: Updates every Saturday.

Oliver Thorton

Not At All A Date

Oliver arrived on time. It would have been hard not to when Benjamin’s flat was a five minute drive down the road.

Benjamin opened the door with that wide, lovely smile of his and scooped Oliver up in a hug with the car seat wedged in between them. Oliver gulped audibly, very anxious for the evening.
How could he not be? He might have been comfortable flirting with Benjamin over the phone, but face to face was a completely different subject.

“I hope you like veal because there was an amazing sale and I couldn’t resist myself.” Benjamin chuckled as he closed the door behind his friend.

“I’m getting supper made for me by a professional chef.” Oliver giggled. “I’m sure you could cook some dirt up and it would still taste fantastic.”

A very visible blush appeared on Benjamin’s dimpled cheeks. Out of all the compliments he ever received, Oliver’s seemed to get to him the most.

The younger man plopped himself down on the couch next to Marvin and set to unbuckling a now very fussy Sam. The boy must have been cooking in his snow gear. Oliver could help but coo at his five month old baby boy as he slid him out of his winter gear and settled him on the ground in his khakis and little blue button up with matching booties. James had yet again picked out his outfit for the day.
Marvin immediately jumped from the sofa to sniff out the baby cooing and bouncing on the ground.

“Well someone got dressed up for the evening. I thought this was supposed to be casual wear.” Benjamin smirked, coming up beside Oliver and watching as Sam began screaming and cooing in happiness as Marvin jumped around him.

“It was, but Uncle James had too much fun picking out clothes this morning and I couldn’t let Sam leave the house being the only one dressed up.”

That was the excuse that he had decided to use as to why he had spent so long trying to make himself look presentable.

“Well you won’t be hearing any complaints from me. I think you both look extremely handsome tonight.”

Oliver’s cheeks flared. He looked away from the man beside him and settled on watching his son attempt to roll over onto his back - and fail. He wondered why Benjamin would say something like that. Why would he make him blush like this? Sure they had been flirting like love sick puppies for the past few weeks, but Oliver thought that simply meant that Benjamin was a nice guy who liked to hand out compliments and call his friends pet names because that was the type of man that he was.
Oliver couldn’t help but wish for more. He hated having to tell himself that he wanted nothing more than friendship from the man standing beside him, but the truth was that he wanted so much more. And he wanted so much more to come sooner rather than later. Benjamin was the type of man he could only hope to get.

All thoughts of Carter were free from his head. Oliver was beginning to realize that he should have seen the signs of Carter’s future behaviour from the beginning. The smoking, the drinking, the recreational drug use. Oliver had brushed it all off as Carter exploring his twenties and finding himself. How wrong he was. But of course Oliver didn’t want to delude himself into thinking that Benjamin was perfect as well only to have that turn sour on him. But Johanna, Thomas and James were all convinced that Benjamin was the epitome of perfection and Johanna had known the family since childhood. How could she be wrong? How could they all be wrong?

The couple moved into the dining area where Benjamin had finished plating the supper with a glass of white wine - they had learned that Oliver was not a red wine drinker the hard way. Benjamin had gone out and purchased a high chair for Sam some time back. Oliver thought it was the cutest, most thoughtful thing that someone had done for his baby - well, except for James of course, but that was different; James was family.

“How was your day? Anything eventful happen?” Benjamin asked around a mouthful of pasta. Oliver found that the older man did that often - talk with his mouth full. Benjamin was supposed to be a perfect chef with perfect manners but when it came to eating, he ate like a pig when at home and comfortable. Oliver found it endearing and covered the smile with the back of his hand.

“No, not really. Other than being surprised that James managed to actually go out on a proper date with someone.”
Benjamin nearly spit out his food over the table.

“Like a date - date?” Oliver giggled and nodded. “Like with dinner and a movie and all that jazz?” Nod. “And no sex?”

“Well I’m sure she’s bound to give him something afterwards, this is James we’re talking about, but yes, all of the above. I know, Johanna and I were both pretty shocked ourselves at the turn of events.”
Benjamin hummed. He wouldn’t have believed that someone like James would look to settle down any time soon.

“Are you worried? With the house and all?”
Oliver hadn’t wanted to think about it. What if this was the woman for James? What is he found the love of his life and wanted to spend the rest of his life with her? What if things got serious and they moved out together? What would be left of the family? How could Oliver and an unemployed Johanna afford to stay in such luxury?

“I’ve tried not to think about it, but...yeah. I mean, it’s definitely too soon to be thinking that he wants to settle down with this girl, they’ve been on a single date, but...this just means that he’s growing up. And Johanna hasn’t been able to find a job yet because she still wants to go to school and...I can’t afford that place by myself while keeping food on the table and caring for Sam as well as supporting Johanna through school.” Deep breath.
Oliver hadn’t truly realized the possible implications until he said them out loud. Yes, this was real. His fears were very real. Even if this wasn’t the girl for James, there would surely be others. Now that he was open to dating, who knows how long it will be until he realizes that he needs to grow on his own.

“Don’t worry about it. I say you still have a couple more years of his aid before he thinks of leaving. And even then, Johanna can go to school part time and work at the same time and you can mooch Sam off to my parents while you work. My mother doesn’t go into the restaurant unless she has to, other than that she’s a stay at home mum and she absolutely adores babies.”
Oliver giggled. Of course Benjamin would want to solve all of his problems, it was just how he was.

“I can’t just throw my baby at your mother! She barely knows me and I’m sure she’s just about had enough of children. Don’t you have 5 siblings?”
Benjamin chuckled, taking Oliver’s empty plate away from him and scooping Sam from his high chair. The three made their way into the living room where Benjamin put on a film that neither one paid any attention to.

“My youngest brother’s 4 years old, so it’s not like she’s that out of practice with children. And in fact she was trying to convince my father to let them adopt another little boy to add to the family. He absolutely refused.”

“See!” Oliver hollered just a tad too loud. “Your mother might be okay with it but your father sure isn’t.”

“It’s not that he doesn’t love babies, because he sure does, he just doesn’t think that they should be worrying about supporting another child when they should be worrying about retiring soon. My father wants out of the restaurant within the next 5 years and another baby is not going to let that happen.”
Oliver giggled, sipping on his wine and allowing Sam to suck on his fingers. His teeth should be coming in soon, his gums had begun to irritate and swell.

“What happens when your father retires? He leaves the restaurant to you?”
Benjamin sighed, moving his gaze from Oliver - who was sitting closer than what would be considered anything but friendly - and off towards the television set. He wasn’t sure what his father had planned for the restaurant. It would seem the most likely outcome would be to pass it down to Benjamin, who would be more than pleased to accept, but he wasn’t 100% sure if that was the plan. His father could always sell the restaurant, he would surely make a lot more money that way, but it would break Benjamin’s heart and he wasn’t sure if he would be able to stay if it no longer belonged to his dad.

He stated these fears to Oliver. It was what surprised him most. Perhaps it was because he hadn’t had any friends other than Charlotte, but he found that it was very easy to open up to Oliver about nearly everything - except for his massive infatuation - and Oliver was a very wonderful listener.

“I don’t understand why your father wouldn’t give the restaurant to you. I mean, he’s worked so hard to raise it to where it is today that it would simply be foolish for him to just...give it away to some stranger to do with as they please.”
And just like that Benjamin felt one thousand times better.

And just like that the conversation moved to something else. Something lighter. The two were having a blast laughing with one another and playing around with Sam, who was just a bundle of giggles.
Benjamin lifted the small boy and blew raspberries into his chubby belly. Sam squealed and waved his hands and legs into the air until Benjamin brought him back down. Oliver simultaneously laughed and melted at the sight.

Sam had come into a personality of his own. At first Oliver was sure that he would be quiet and peaceful but he was very wrong. Sam was quite the drama queen. Always over exaggerated about the smallest things, wanted all attention on him at all times and wouldn’t take no for an answer. Oliver wasn’t sure if this would be a good thing when he was growing up, but he was sure to enrol his son into some drama classes in the future.

“Before we forget, shall we exchange Christmas presents now?” Benjamin asked, cuddling Sam into his chest and pressing kisses on his auburn curls. He would have never thought that he would ever connect to a person enough to love their child like it was his own. But Benjamin would never admit this. No, not in a million years.

Oliver sent him a warm smile. He loved that Benjamin was showing so much affection to his son. He didn’t care if it was only to get his approval. Sam was obviously loving it so he would as well.
Oliver agreed, going out to the car for the large box he had left in the passenger seat. He wasn’t sure if Benjamin would like it or not, but the times that Oliver had come to the older man’s home, he had seen the collection in his bedroom and partly in the study as well.

“Why is the box so large? Now I’m worried.” Benjamin chuckled, setting a sleeping Sam down into his car seat and lifting the box into his lap. The man ripped into the paper with the biggest smile on his face like a small child on Christmas morning.

Oliver’s stomach twisted and turned as he waited for Benjamin to open the box. He really wanted the older man to like his present. He had paid quite the pretty penny for it - but he had spent a lot on everyone that year, he had been saving up for the holidays for a while.

“Is this real? Like...real? Am I even legally allowed to have this.”
It was a professionally forged, hand crafted and sharpened katana. Oliver had seen Benjamin’s collection of medieval, fantasy and modern weaponry and although he looked like he owned at least one katana, he wasn’t sure if it was sharpened...or hand made.

“It’s legal, I checked. You just can’t go outside and start swinging it at people...I’m sure you understand.”

Benjamin laughed, turning the weapon back and forth in his hands. He owned two katanas, but they were dull and definitely not made to this quality. The blade was perfectly weighted and evened, sharp enough to slice a person in half and the hilt was a mix of his three favourite colours: orange, black and dark purple. He didn’t know how to thank Oliver enough.
Quickly sheathing the blade back in it’s nest, Benjamin placed it beside him and brought Oliver straight into his arms. The thought crossed his mind that he would like to do more than hug the boy in front of him, but he quickly shoved that thought aside and settled for holding him and trying his hardest not to take a deep inhale. That would be strange...he would think.

Oliver giggled. Accepting Benjamin’s thanks and wrapping his own arms around the man. Benjamin was so muscled and strong, Oliver wanted to stay in their position forever, or at least for the rest of the night, but they both - very reluctantly - pulled away from one another and Benjamin made his way into the bedroom to retrieve Oliver’s gift.
It was hard to wrap it in a way that didn’t automatically reveal what it was - and it was hard to wrap in the first place - so Benjamin had given up after an hour and a lot of wine and had simply settled for putting a lot of bows on the case.

“You bought me a guitar?” Oliver squealed, careful not to wake Sam.
Benjamin chuckled and carefully placed the case on his lap.

“Well you did tell me that you used to have one when you lived with your parents, so why not have one again? Plus, this means that you have to play for me sometime.”
Oliver giggled and snapped open the hard leather case to reveal a cherry wood beauty. He ran his fingers over the hard chords and revealed in the sounds they produced. It had been so long since Oliver even touched a guitar, all because he could never afford one. When he had lived with his parents he had learned how to play at the age of 14, but when they kicked him out, he hadn’t really been given time to collect his things, so his guitar was left behind - along with a lot of other childhood memories.

Oliver too pulled Benjamin into a hug and thanked the man for the best gift that year - other than Sam, but he was hard to beat.

“You’re going to have to give me a couple of days to get reacquainted with one of these and then I’ll play for you whenever you wish.”

"It's a date."
♠ ♠ ♠
D'awwww.

So I'll definitely be updating more than once a week from now on because I pretty much have the whole thing prewritten and done already, so yeah....

Comment....please....

Also, thank you to Josh Cutlip for being fantastic and wonderful :3

- C