Status: Updates every Saturday.

Oliver Thorton

The ruins of a young man

Benjamin Hobson had his entire life planned out. Since his birth he knew what he was destined for and was only so lucky that his family was there for assistance.

Benjamin Hobson is a chef.

Edward Hobson, the father of the twenty-five year old man, had opened his own restaurant when he was only twenty one years old. He had made his own fortune. There he met Helena Beauréant, whom he would fall in love and create six beautiful children with. His oldest son did not seem interested in the restaurant business and they were more than happy to have a psychologist in the family, but their second eldest, now he had shown interest in the family business. Benjamin had always been eager to accompany his father to the restaurant; he would cook for the family using play-doh and asked for his first knife set at the age of seven.

It was only natural that he would go to culinary school as soon as he saw the chance. He worked as a chef at the family restaurant when had earned his degree and two years after graduating, his father – the head chef at the time – decided to retire kitchen duty and give the job to his son. It is very successful and well known in the UK; Maiden Fog. Not even Edward knows when he got the name for the restaurant, but when asked, he would not change it.

2 stars it had been given by the Michelin guide. Benjamin wants to give it the third and final star.

“Come on Benji; let’s do something together for once. And don’t give me the same bullocks about having things to do. You and I both know that you have no life outside of the restaurant.”

Charlotte was a sweet girl. She was Benjamin’s favorite sibling – don’t tell the others – but she had a nasty habit of showing up on his doorstep unannounced and demanding that Benjamin give her his full, undivided attention. Such as now.

Benjamin had been curled in his warm bed, reading Diana Gabaldon and was forced out of his comfort by sharp rapping at his door. Marvin the cat had been lying on his lap under the covers. The noise earned him a sharp nick to the thigh.

It had gotten colder, the harsh wind blowing into the house from the street. Benjamin quickly let his sister in and shut the door. He despised the cold. He despised living on the ground floor.

“You just came from outside, surely you do not wish to go back for any sort of outing. Mum and dad have a fireplace at home, why don’t you go back there?”

The young woman rolled her light chocolate eyes and lifted Marvin from the ground. He did not look impressed and immediately shimmied away. He would return under the warmth of the covers. Benjamin longed to do the same.

“Honestly Benjamin, I come all this way in the cold and you tell me to leave. I just want to spend some quality time with my favorite brother. Maybe watch a film, eat snacks –”

“What is it that you want, Charlotte?”

It was almost too easy to read the twenty year old. Although she and Benjamin were very close, she would not leave the confines of her home on a squally winter day to simply watch films. They were alike in that regard. Added to the many others faults they shared.

“I need off this Wednesday and father refuses to give it to me.” She sighed, dropping herself onto the soft beige sofa. Benjamin cringed at the sight. She had forgotten to take off her wet boots. “He said something about being under staffed. Please talk to him for me.” She begged, widening her eyes and forcing them to water. She was very good at that. “Wednesdays aren’t even busy days!”
Benjamin sighed. His sister wished to follow in his footsteps. She wanted to be head chef some day of some unknown restaurant. She refused to do any of the work though.

“You know that we are booked solid for another three weeks, therefore, yes, Wednesday will be very busy, as usual. You ought to know that by now.” He continued to gaze into her eyes before admitting defeat. “But I will speak to him, if you wish. No promises, though.”

She gave a loud shriek before falling into his arms. She wasted no more time in bidding him farewell and returning to the wrath of the elements.

She had gotten to him. In more ways than he would care to admit. He did not have a life outside of the restaurant. Unless caring for Marvin counted as one.

His longest relationship had been to a girl named Elizabeth. She was everything he wanted. His parents wholeheartedly agreed. But somewhere in the two years that they were together, Benjamin had stopped being able to please her. He was no longer appealing to her. She tore his heart apart, everyone could see. He made the mistake of wasting no time moving on. Her name was Rebecca. She too quickly claimed his heart and shattered it just six months later.

Another two years. He has never had the heart to meet another person. He buries himself in his creations. New delicacies that will draw in a larger crowd and bring him closer to that third star. His family worries for him, but he is happy. There are days where he truly misses the warmth and comfort of another person, but he is too frightened to seek it.

Benjamin convinces himself that Marvin, and occasionally his computer, are all the company that he requires aside from his family. He is content. He will live this way until it is forced to change.

Image

Wednesday was a near mess. Without the aid of Charlotte, they were missing one waitress and poor Helena had to work the full shift in order to serve the customers on time. Benjamin hardly noticed; he was in his element. Although orders were being thrown at him every which way, he remained calm, steadied his breathing and simply let his mind flow. He put love and effort into every meal, not caring how long it took to get out. This happened when he cooked. He simply let his mind be and cared only for the masterpiece in front of his eyes. His father did not think the same. Unfortunately.

“Damn it, Benjamin! Quick making love to the food and get it out! People are waiting out there!” 


Some of the cooks laughed, but Benjamin did not have a care. His father ought to know not to disrupt him. But he knew Edward was right; people were waiting to be served. He wanted that third star; he had to make the people happy as well.

They closed at 11:20. It would have been sooner, but a man had taken his time proposing to the love of his life. Benjamin stood by and watched; a content smile on his face. He loved love. He wished for that to be him some day, but those thoughts quickly vanished when an image of Elizabeth came into his mind. She ruined him.

On the drive back to the flat, Benjamin decided that he deserved wine, after the hectic day he had had. He should have gotten his father to bring him from merlot from the cellar in the home, but he had forgotten. The liqueur store was too far, so he drove to the supermarket. Their selection was not the best, but it was all Benjamin would find at that hour on a Wednesday.

The shop was nearly empty, but Benjamin found a rather nice looking moscato. If only those who continued to work were awake at this hour.

The shop clerk, who looked a little too young to be working at that hour anyway, had seemed to be in a trance. Benjamin knows a good looking person when he sees one and he too was in a trance, but not for nearly as long. The boy’s sea green eyes were downcast, his full lips parted just a bit. The auburn hair was in his eyes, but he did not seem to care. He was the type of person Benjamin would long for. Elizabeth ruined him.

As much as Benjamin felt he could stand and stare at the boy forever, there was a queue forming, so he cleared his throat. The boy barely looked his way as he scanned and bagged the wine. Benjamin knew he was a bit plain to look at. It still hurt. This Oliver – name tag – should not have been working. He was most likely exhausted.

He was out of Benjamin’s mind as he unlocked the door to the flat, glad to be in from the cold. Benjamin ate leftover Alfredo as he sipped his wine.

Why did Elizabeth have to ruin him?
♠ ♠ ♠
The other main character.

Thanks for reading. Please comment and tell me how it is.

Updates every Saturday.

- C