I Was Hoping You'd Ask

Chapter 1

It was early Saturday morning, I was exhausted from my road trip to Pittsburgh the night before. I was finally living back at home after living in Virginia for 20 years of my life.

I was born in Butler, Pennsylvania, just like my father and I didn’t get to stay there long before he had to move to VA to become a high school baseball coach and PE teacher. He always told me he did it for me because it was a better job than he was offered here. I think I didn’t want to believe it because I loved Pittsburgh with all my heart. You could tell just by walking in my bedroom. I had Pittsburgh pictures all over, including a panoramic picture of the city at night hanging above my bed. As soon as someone walked into my room they were almost overwhelmed by all the Pittsburgh things they saw.

With that being said, it was also pretty obvious that I was a huge sports fan, this came from living my life as a daddy’s girl and being around a baseball and football coach 24/7. How my obsession with hockey came about, well I have no idea. Baseball was my life for a while; I knew everything I needed to. I was a Bucos fan forever and I spent my childhood in the dugout of the high school team my dad coached, the players were great to me and I was one happy little girl. When it was fall, I was on the sidelines of the high school football games and then my obsession with football grew over me and of course I was a die-hard Steelers fan. My tattoo would explain that quite well and it received a lot of attention over the summer when I wore a bikini. I loved Pittsburgh so much and the sports that the city embraced about itself.

I like to believe that it was no surprise when I decided that I wanted to major it communications to become a sports reporter and after awhile it was even more obvious that I wanted to be a hockey reporter, not just a hockey reporter, but also a Penguins hockey reporter. I would watch Dan Potash, and Katie O’Malley and take notes, observe and dream of being in their position one day. Hockey was an obsession of mine; I enjoyed every minute of it and everything about the game. Kathryn Tappen was like a hero of mine and I wanted nothing more than to grow up to be like these hockey reporters.

I interned for ROOT sports over the summer for two summers so when I submitted an application to be a hockey reporter for the Penguins, I felt that my chances were pretty good. I had great recommendations from Dan and I knew that would help. I was staying in Virginia with my dad during the school year and with my aunt and her family during the summer while I interned. I had a pretty great life and I was excited to start something new, a career for myself.

I was watching football with my dad one Sunday afternoon and I could hear my phone ringing from the dining room, I didn’t think anything of it and when I got out there I saw 412…. My heart stopped. I answered my phone unable to get the words out of my mouth. Finally…. “Hello” I said softly with nervousness in my voice.
♠ ♠ ♠
First story... Be kind :-)