I Was Hoping You'd Ask

Chapter 12

I slept like a baby, which came as a shock to me when I woke up, considering the night I had. All I could think about was the story I heard. I looked down at my phone trying to take my mind off of it. I remember plugging it in last night when I got home but left it out on the kitchen counter, I didn’t want anything to wake me up in the middle of the night. I slowly got out of my warm bed and made my way through my small living room and into the kitchen where I found my phone sitting my the cute picture of me and my father. I hadn’t realized until then that I haven’t really spoken to him since I got here. I reached for my phone with the intention of calling him, but noticed that I had 5 unread messages, which was a lot for me. I hardly get that many texts in a day, unless something important is going on.

I unlocked my phone to notice that all 5 messages were from Brian.

Message 1:
“Did I scare you off…?”

Message 2:
“I’m sorry, if you don’t want to go out that’s fine.”

Message 3:
“I just got a call from James. Please respond.”

Message 4:
“Ali, I want to explain, please.

Message 5:
“I understand if you’re upset. Please just let me explain, meet me at CEC at noon. Please.”

The last message woke me up because when I looked at the clock on my microwave I had noticed that it was 11:30. “Wow, I really slept in” I thought aloud. I need to make a decision quickly. Did I want to go see him and give him a chance to explain? Did I owe him that? Did I owe him anything? I tried to think about this quickly, realizing that I didn’t have that much time. I decided that if I was going to go, then I needed to make myself presentable. I knew the team didn’t have practice this morning since they had won the night before; Bylsma had given them the day off.

I got ready in record time. I showered, pulled my hair up in a high ponytail with some curly popping out of the side and down my face but I didn’t really have much time to fix it. I put on a pair of dark skinny jeans and my pink sweater. I put on my favorite pair of light brown boots; it was starting to get a little chilly outside so the outfit was perfect for the weather. I didn’t really care how I looked but I didn’t want to look like a total wreck.

The whole way there, my mind was racing. I didn’t know what to think. Was it sad that I was happy that Brian wanted to explain everything to me? Did this mean that he actually wanted to spend time with me? Did he feel the same way about me that I felt about him? I was a little happy about this. I was also thinking about Rebecca. What would she do if she knew that I was having these feelings? She really made it sound like she hated him? Then something really made me question everything. Why would James call Brian and tell him I went out with his sister? Did James know something? I was so confused and then I decided that I was actually eager to hear everything Brian had to say. I didn’t want him to feel bad but it seems like I actually have a lot to learn about his past. I was expecting to learn everything after date six or something, not before we had ever gone out alone…