I Was Hoping You'd Ask

Chapter 2

“Hello, Ali?” the voice replied on the other end of the phone, “This is Michelle from ROOT sports, I’m calling on behalf of a resume you put in over the summer…” her voice trailed off and I couldn’t even find words to come out of my mouth. My stomach was in a knot and I didn’t know if I was about to receive good or bad news from the women on the other end of the line. She seemed perky, I wasn’t sure if she was always like that or if she was excited to tell me something. I thought if I were about to receive some bad news, she wouldn’t sound so happy on the other end. I didn’t want to say anything before she did but I couldn’t wait any longer for the news, so I spoke up “Yes, this is Ali, thank you for calling me” I’m sure she could tell how nervous I sounded by the way she giggled at me. I don’t ever remember meeting a Michelle when I interned there over the summer so I didn’t want to just burst out and ask what I was dying to know… Her words cut off my train of thought, “You are spoken of very highly around here, I’m new so I was very excited to be the one to call you after learning that you will be the newest Pittsburgh Penguins reporter. As you know Katie O’Malley will be working for politicians now so we need someone to fill her shoes, and many people around here believed that you would be perfect for the job! If you are still able to take that job that is,” I couldn’t believe what I had just heard, this seemed so unreal. Before I could even think I burst out my answer “Yes!!” She could tell how excited I was and laughed at me. “Great! I can’t wait to tell everyone, someone will be in touch very soon! Have a great day Ali.” We hung up the phone and I just stood in the dining room, taking everything in that just happened.

I ran to my dad, he was without a doubt the first person that I would want to tell this awesome news to! He was more than happy for me; he knew I would always find my way back to Pittsburgh.

***
I was crawling out of bed, I was too anxious for my first day on the job that getting up and ready was no issue. I knew exactly what I wanted to wear. My favorite pair of high waisted black jeans with a yellow striped top and a black blazer. It was professional and comfortable at the same time, and my favorite part about the outfit; it was black and gold.

I ate a quick bowl of oatmeal, and hopped in the car. It was pretty warm out since they wanted me to start and get the hang of things before the season, it was still summer. The Pens had already started practicing but the season was still a couple months away. It was late August and I was regretting the jeans a little bit right now, but I knew it would be a little chilly in the arena, which I was hoping to end up there at some point today.

I showed up the giant building with the red letters across the top reading ROOT. I had the biggest smile just seeing this site, I was a good 10 minutes early but I still got out and decided to walk in. The best part was that I knew the majority of people here just from my two summers interning here.

Dan greeted me as soon as I walked in, he looked thrilled to see me and I was just as happy.

We walked around and caught up with what has been going on around here and with the Pens. It was a rough off-season considering the Bruins right before the Stanley Cup swept them and some of them were still having a hard time with it. He gave me tips on how to ask questions regarding that and just the thought of talking to the players about something that made me cry, was frightening.

I never got to meet the players over the summers that I interned because it was the off-season and most of them weren’t in town.

Dan Potash could tell that I was extremely nervous because he interrupted my thoughts with a comment that made me smile “it gets easier every game, I promise”. It made me smile to think that every game I had the chance to talk with a different player from my favorite team.