Can't Escape My Fate

Chapter 4

Kotta Pov:

“Lynx, what are you doing here?” I found it hard to believe that it was her. She changed a lot in the five years since I’ve seen her last. Her eyes were guarded, and I knew that it wasn’t just from her not really remembering who we were. She used to be nearly an open book when we were together in F.E.A.R’s army.

“We just kind of took off. I don’t know if we’re being followed or not.” She looked so nervous, which was unsettling.

“What happened exactly? Normally you wouldn’t be this unsure.” CC was right, Lynx was extremely observant so this was extremely strange.

“One of F.E.A.R’s allies decided to pay a visit with his elite members. And I may or may not have obliterated them.”

CC burst out laughing, “Yeah that sounds about right. Kill first, think later.”

She smiled a little and pulled her daughter closer to her. “Pretty much. I’m sorry, I don’t know you. I mean, I remember having conversations with you, but…That’s about it.”

CC nodded and gave her a rough rundown of what happened during the fight. “It probably has to do with what F.E.A.R did. What I don’t get is why you attacked us.”

“I don’t even remember that night. I think he wiped it completely from my memory. If anything, it probably was because of the spell he used.”

“So, what’s your daughter’s name? She’s really cute.” I smiled when the little girl blushed and hid her face in Lynx’s side.

“Mystic, but I usually call her Myst. I have a question for you guys. Why do you call me Lynx?”

“Well we started calling you kitten because you were always observing us silently just as a cat would, and I changed it to Lynx since you kind of reminded me of one. Most of the guys called you Lynx, I think only Ash and I used ‘kitten’ but for the most part we just called you Lynx.”

“Makes sense, I’m assuming that the name stuck when I got pissed about it?”

CC laughed, “Exactly. You stopped complaining about it and seemed to prefer ‘Lynx’ over ‘Lynnette’ so we never called you anything different.”

“So, what are you guys doing this far out?” Lynx asked as Myst curled up on her lap and started falling asleep.

“Kotta, want to start a fire while I continue to fill her in?”
I nodded and headed out to find whatever I could use to build a fire.

Lynx Pov:

“Well a few guys in Jake’s unit saw this place and Andy wanted us to check it out. If it’s stable enough he’s thinking about sending about half the Legion here.”

“How many leaders would be here? If Andy plans on sending just about half of the legion here, he’s going to end up weakening us more than we already are.”

“I think Jinxx and Ash would be stationed here along with the men and women in their units, then whoever wants to can. Lynx, how much are you remembering right now?”

“Truthfully not much. The names are all familiar, but that’s about it. It’s really common sense that if you split an army in half, that both sides are going to be weak. It also depends on whose good enough to support either side. If you only have people with a certain skill in one place, that place is going to fall rather quickly. Besides, if the only medic is in one place, there will be more casualties than if there was more than one.”

“I never said anything about the Legion only having one medic. It seems like talking about the Legion is triggering your memory. If we’re lucky it shouldn’t take too long to get you back to how you were.”

“But if I betrayed the legion, won’t they want me dead?”

“No, we all know that F.E.A.R used some kind of magic to control you. You never would have attacked Jinxx if that bastard wasn’t forcing you.”

“Is…is he alright?” I was worried, but I didn’t quite know why. Maybe it was because the people I betrayed were friends before I ended back with F.E.A.R.

“Jinxx is fine. He healed himself as soon as you vanished. He’s been pretty much depressed ever since you left.” CC was quiet for a few minutes before he spoke up again. “So, can I ask you something about your daughter?”

“Of course.” I ran my hand through her hair and smiled a bit, she was really my only reason for living.

“Do you know who her father is?”

“No, although F.E.A.R said he died in battle, I don’t believe it.”

“She can obviously use magic, so judging from how powerful that simple wall of fire was her father is a pure blooded mage as well. The only one you’ve been with is Jinxx.”

“This happened before I left then didn’t it?”

“Yep. She looks a lot like him too. I wonder is her personality like yours?”

I laughed and nodded, “Yeah, we’re too much alike. She’s taken a liking to daggers like I have and she’s fucking silent. I can almost never tell when she’s coming up behind me.” I looked up when Kotta bolted back into the building.

“We have trouble, there are four shadow demons out there heading this way.”

“Did you see how far off they were?”

“They’re following me so they’re like right outside.” I woke Myst up and stood.

“Sweetie, get as far back into the alcove as you can. Stay perfectly silent and I’ll be right back.” She nodded and ran back to the alcove as I said. “I am sick of seeing those pathetic demons all the time.” I walked out of the building with CC and Kotta behind me. “Who wants to take two of them?”

“You’re having almost too much fun with this aren’t you?” I looked over my shoulder at CC and smirked.

“What gave you that idea?” I drew my blades and lunged at the closest shadow before they even could prepare themselves. Kotta and I went for the same demon, and our blades clashed as they bother pierced the demon’s heart. As the demon died I couldn’t help but think that I had done this so many times before, even though I couldn’t remember ever fighting with a shadow demon. I glared at the other demons and brought bolts of lightning down in quick succession, obliterating the remaining demons within seconds.
As soon as the dust settled, I re-sheathed my daggers and stretched. “I say we call it a night. There shouldn’t be any other demons around. They usual travel in small groups unless they’re in F.E.A.R’s city.”

“Sounds like a plan, we’ll check the rest of the building tomorrow before we head back to town. You and Mystic are coming with us right?”

“I think that’s where we were headed anyway CC, so why not go there with you.” I went back into the building before CC or Kotta could answer and went over to Myst who was asleep in the alcove. I laid down next to her and fell asleep almost instantly, just thinking about finally being able to go somewhere that was safe.