Status: one shot

Was it All a Dream?

1/1

The moment her phone rang, the contents of her stomach threatened to spill and she whipped it to her ear as fast as she could. When Jonathan was on road trips she was on edge and she had a right to do so. But when his weak voice came over the speaker of her phone, her heart beat a little fast and her mind ran a little quicker. He was hurt.

“Babe?” Steph called into the phone, his wincing coming clearly over.

“Sweetie” A weak voice whispered back at her.

“You’re scaring me” Steph said, as she hugged a couch pillow. “Are you hurt?”

It was silent for a few moments, more wincing and then a cough came through.

“Yeah” He breathed out, trying to act tough about it.

“How bad?” Steph dared to ask, she shook as the worst images of her fiance came to her head/

“Not too bad” He chuckles, knowing she’s probably thinking the worse. “But I’ll be out for a few weeks.”

“Jonathan” She said his name sternly, but it still seemed to run chills down Jonathan’s body. “What happened?”

“Orpik checked me, I didn’t see him and I fell awkwardly into the board” He explains, smiling at her worried tone.

“Wipe the cheeky smile off your face” Steph spits, laughing at knowing him so well. “So is it your head?”

“You caught me” Jon jokes and sighs. “It’s not my head, it’s my collarbone and shoulder”

“Is it broken?”

“No, doc says it’s mostly just sprained and bruised” Jon explains, and winces as he get comfortable in his plane seat. “I’ll be back before the playoffs”

“Well that’s good!”

“Babe I have to go, the plane is about to take off” He says, looking out the window.

“Okay, well have a safe flight and I’ll be ready to take care of you when you get back” Steph sings, smiling.

“I can’t wait for that” Jon drops his voice lower, giving Steph her own set of chills. “I love you”

“I love you too, Jon”

The couple hung up, leaving themselves to their own thoughts. Jonathan’s thoughts made him bounce his knee for half of flight which upset Corey as he tried to sleep. But when they finally landed he couldn’t wait any longer to get home and was thankful that he car pooled with Patrick Sharp.

He walked up the steps of the house that he and Steph had purchased not long after Jonathan had proposed to her.

It was Jonathan’s day with the cup, and Steph was excited to be in Winnipeg, to be with him during it. Game 7 was imprinted into her mind every day, minutes after the third period started, her heart was heavy for her boyfriend. The minutes clicked away but when those winning goals went in, her heart was leaping for joy when the clock ran out. The last time Jonny had won the cup, they had met due to Kaner’s girlfriend Kenzie.

As she ran onto the ice after he lifted the cup, she fell into his arms and teared up a bit, he held her close and kissed all around her face. He’d done it again.

Steph and Jonny were staying in a remote cottage, they had gone to sleep with the french doors open and letting the warm air tickle their bare skin as they spent their time alone wisely. But waking up was even more rewarding, watching the sun rise together and just whispering sweet nothings to each other.

When it was time to get up and start their eventful day, Jonny didn’t want to as the nerves had already set in for him, that today was the day that he had been planning since the second the game time ran out.

They both jumped into the shower, but Jon got out to start making breakfast for the too. He blended two smoothies and made pancakes, setting up the table outside of the deck. He sat at the table waiting for the only person he could truly love to make an appearance. As she did, his eyes scanned up her tanned toned legs and curved hips that were fit snug into high waisted shorts and her number 19 black hawks t-shirt.

“Beautiful, as always” He whispers, leaning up to kiss her softly before pulling out her chair for her.

In Steph’s eyes, Jon couldn’t look any better in khaki shorts and a black golf shirt but today there was something that glowed about him. Before they could even get a bite of Jon’s cuisine, the doorbell rang and Jon couldn’t get up faster. He knew what it was, he could feel it and as the familiar faces of the Cup keepers were presented in front of him, he couldn’t wait to get it in his hands.

He took the cup back to the wear Steph was waiting for him to rejoin her, but she gave him a proud smile as he placed the cup on the chair right next to her.

“I’m so proud of you Jon” She’d say, squeezing his knee and smiling before popping a strawberry into her mouth.

Jon wouldn't be surprised if he woke up and this was all a dream, that he had never met her nor did she exist. Because the feelings he felt were so surreal, that he actually couldn't believe this was his life. He wanted to go as far into this dream, making sure he could see it all before he woke up.

They had breakfast is peaceful silence, the sound of the lake, the insects and the wind in the warm air. It was a complete opposite from their life back in Chicago, loud and busy. Whereas the last few days have been just them, sitting on the deck and skinny dipping in the lake.

Upon cleaning up breakfast and being picked up by a black escalade, Steph felt extra special today and she figured it was because around here her boyfriend was a complete legend, even more so then back in Chicago.

The morning was long, with many cheering crowds and screaming girls, but nothing phased Steph, because she was the one that Jon held tightly by the waist and still having the strength to hold the cup in one hand.

When they arrived at city hall, where Jon would say a speech to his home town, many of his family members were there to watch and Steph waited on the sidelines, watching as he spoke to his people.

"It was a proud moment when the final moments of the period whined down and an even prouder moment hoisting the cup for the second time" He spoke, gesturing to the silver trophy. "But it is an even prouder moment that I get to share it with people I love, you, my family, my team mates and most specifically my girlfriend, who puts up with so much that I honestly don't think I could ever deserve her"

Steph felt her heart swell at his proclaim and she felt a lot of eyes on her as Jon's mother pushed her closer to the stage.

"I think that's what makes this one more special than the first, she was there to tell me a loss is a loss and without a loss you can't win" He paused and chuckled. "Yeah I didn't get it at first either, but it means you have to fail before you can win and that happens a lot in my life, but not with her and I couldn't bare if I were to ever fail or lose her, so Steph can you come up here?"

At this point the tears in Steph's eyes were filled up to the brim, and she took the hand of her boyfriend, hiding herself with her hair from the crowd and looking right up into Jon's eyes.

"Let's get a picture with the cup" He said, confusing her as this would be like hundredth time they had done it.

They stood beside the cup, smiling out into the crowd when a bright sign in the crowd read.

'Look in the cup Steph!'

So she shifted her eyes to the legendary bowl, finding something shiny within the cup and picked it out slowly. A diamond right was held in her hand, as the crown interrupted her confused thoughts and she looked down to see Jon on his knee.

She gasped, holding her hand to her mouth and Jon kissed her hand while taking the ring.

"Will you marry me?"


Of course Steph said yes, how crazy would she be if she didnt. When Jon entered the house, he was waiting for a warm Steph to suspend into his arms. But instead he heard a wretched sound coming from the bathroom. He dropped his bag as quick as he could and flung himself into the bathroom, where Steph was getting sick. He knelt down and held her hair, as she finished off.

He cleaned her up, then held her close with one arm as the other was drawn into a sling. He helped her to the couch, where he helped her out of her uncomfortable jeans and laid her down. Steph looked up at him and smiled.

“Hey” She breathed out, her body tired from throwing up her breakfast.

“Hey” He chuckled, pushing a piece of hair behind her ear and kissing her head. “I’ll get you some ginger ale”

Steph watched Jon disappear into the kitchen, she felt bad that he had to come home injured and still have to take care of her. She clutched a pillow tight, closing her eyes and smiling, maybe she should tell him today.

Jon did his best to make soup with just one arm, only burning himself once and bringing soup over to his sick fiance. He set the soup down in front of her, seeing her shiver and sweat, he sat down immediately beside her and pulled her into his warm embrace.

“Sorry Jon” She said, taking a deep breath and covering her stomach with her arms.

“It’s fine babe” He says, kissing her head. “Have you been feeling like this all day?”

“No, it was just kind of sudden” Steph answered and he hummed in response. “But I was supposed to take care of you”

“It’s okay babe, here eat some soup” He says, handing her the bowl. “I’m just going to go change”

He leaves Steph for a few moments, taking off his suit and stripping down into some sweat pants, leaving his shirt off and walking back into the room. But when he did, Steph wasn’t there and he assumed she had gotten to get a drink, so he picked up the bowl of lettered noodles to find something written out.

‘I’m pregnant’

Jon dropped the bowl as it crashed to the ground, Steph came skipping in and smiling.

“All the sudden, eh?” Jon asked her, Steph just blushed and hid behind her ear. Jon walked up close to her and wrapped his arm around her waist, leaning down to kiss her and holding her tight.

“Is it okay?” She asked, quietly.

Jon backed up, looking straight into Stephs eyes.

“Of course it is” He whispers, kissing her right on the lips. “I wouldn’t want children with anyone else but you”
♠ ♠ ♠
:-)