The Bitch Came Back

[three]

The school day was exhausting. I thankfully didn’t have any classes with any of my ‘friends’, nor did I have any with Derrick. I had two with Dylan, one with Caine, two with Michael, none with Kevin. I wasn’t worried about getting any classes with Abby, Jason, Beth, or any other people in my group because I’m in all AP classes. They are complete idiots.

“You know I didn’t mean what I said this morning right?” Dylan was walking with me to the car. He agreed to take Derrick home after school daily, mainly because I never went straight home after school.

“Yes I know Dyl. Its okay, it was just a heat of the moment comment.” He smiled and squeezed me in a quick hug.

“I love you Damon.” I rolled my eyes as I noticed Derrick leaning against my car.

“I love you too Dyl.” I turned to see Derrick. “Hey Derrick.” I said smiling. He glanced over at me and rolled his eyes.

“You sure nobody is around that will see us talking?” So he was still butt hurt over this morning. Sure, I was a bitch. But everyone knows I’m not really. Well, everyone that matters.

“I see she already gave you the cold shoulder?” Derrick straight up glared at both me and Dyl. Dyl raised his arms in surrender.

“You’ll get used to it. She has horrible nicknames for us, so just be happy you don’t have one yet.” I decided to not mention the nickname Jeff and Abby made up for him. “Come on, I’m driving you home today.” Derrick turned to me, clearly upset.

“What, don’t want people to glance over and see me in your car?” I rolled my eyes starting to get annoyed.

“She doesn’t go straight home. I figured you didn’t want to sit and watch her get a pedicure for an hour.” He paused before nodding. They started walking away until Dylan stopped and turned to me. “Oh and before I forget, I picked these up for you.” He tossed me a plastic container full of wet wipes. I instantly smiled.

“Thanks!” I called after them hurrying over to Dylans SUV, where Caine was waiting patiently.

Twenty minutes later I was sitting in the parking lot of the city cemetery. I pulled out a wet wipe and scrubbed my makeup off, glancing at the old woman sitting on a bench across from her husband who died thirty years ago. She comes here and eats lunch with him every afternoon. I think its sweet.

After kicking off my heels and switching into a pair of tennis shoes, I slammed my door shut causing Lorraine to glance over. When she saw me, she instantly smiled and waved. I waved back at the old woman and started towards my dads section of the cemetery.

My dad got buried with the jane does, at the time my mother was furious at him so she refused to give him a funeral and told the city to do whatever they want with the body, so they threw him in with the jane does, only gave him a name.

When I saw his cracked headstone, I smiled and plopped down on the ground across from him.

“Hey daddy.” I said warmly. “Today was the first day of school. I saw Jason and Abby, Beth was there, Jeff was there, Chris was there, the whole gang.” A breeze of cold air hit me while a bunch of leaves blew up to hit me in the face. “Hey hey! I know you don’t like my friends, but they are my friends. Sue and Jerry’s son is spending the year with us until they get back from vacation, and don’t worry daddy. His door is two down from mine.” I smiled, my chest tightening a bit.

A few years ago when I was going steady with a boy named Danny, who was just about as awkward as I was at the time, decided that the best way to break up with me was to completely stop talking to me all together. Of course I sat in my room sulking and calling him obsessively and checking his twitter. It hurt even more seeing that he was still posting on twitter and publically talking to other girls. When daddy got home (from mysteriously being gone for a few days) and found out that he couldn’t properly break up with me and that I was hurting, he hunted Danny down and made sure that he knew not to mess with me. Daddy got assault charges on a minor but they were reduced to community service since he was drunk.

“The boys will come see you soon, maybe not Kevin but you guys didn’t even get along when you were with us so I’m not sure.” I sat and talked with him for the rest of the afternoon until my stomach growled due to my small breakfast and me complaining about the calories in the school food with Lisa, I had pretty much eaten a piece of bacon and a cup of skim milk for the day.

I stood up kissing my fingers and touching the cold cracked headstone. I smiled at him, he knew I would be back tomorrow to tell him about my day.

On my way to the car, I spotted Lorraine and walked over to her. She was talking excitedly to her husband about something, I could tell from the way the threw her arms in the air and the way her cheeks were rosy red. When she heard me, she turned and gave me a warm smile.

“Damon darling! Hows your father.” I smiled at her question. She asked it to me every time I came. At first it bothered me, seeing as he was dead. Eventually I blew up on her, telling her that it was rude to ask so stop it. She explained to me that he was always with me, listening to my words and watching my actions and that he wasn’t gone. Made me feel better, although I did feel guilty about him watching my actions.

“Hes good. A bit upset over my choice in friends but he’ll get over it.” She smiled. “Hows Don?” She smiled even bigger.

“He is happy for me. I have a question for you though.” She started waving her finger at me. “Do you think you could make my hair as pretty as yours? A friend asked me to go to a church dinner with him and-” I cut her off.

“Oh my god! You have a date! Of course I’ll help you get ready!” Her face was bright red as she smiled. She was almost seventy, yet she had more life than most of the people I surround myself with. I thought back to last time I was over and her gutters were in desperate need of cleaning and fixing. “I’ll bring Caine to fix your gutters too, okay?” She smiled.

“Bless you and your family Damon.” She said warmly. I reached over and gave her a light hug.

“You too Lorraine.” I glanced at Don’s headstone. “Good afternoon Don.” When I talked to Don, it felt more like I was talking to a rock but I knew that Lorraine appreciated it. “I have to get going, see you tomorrow.”

I made my way back to my car and started driving home. I had stayed a bit later than normal and if I didn’t hurry, I would miss dinner which I wasn’t keen on doing. Although if I got home and told my mom I hadn’t eaten anything, she would practically be shoving food down my face.

After parking Ricky, I hurried into the house to be greeted with a mouth watering smell of Chicken noodle soup. I smiled and closed my eyes, opening them at the sound of the kitchen door.

“Hey sweetie, just in time. Mind getting the boys for dinner?” I nodded and smiled at my mother, trying not to laugh at the sight.

“I will, buy you uh, might want to get cleaned up for dinner. You have a bit of chicken in your hair.” I laughed at my moms confused expression as she tried finding the chunk in her hair and headed downstairs.

The downstairs was the kids area pretty much. When my dad would stumble in drunk, my mom would lock us downstairs. Not that we minded, we were kids and there was a gaming system, a theater, a pool table, a bedroom, pretty much everything our little hearts desired. Now, its just the basement that we hang out in.

“Guys?” I asked lightly. I walked into the room with the gaming systems and rolled my eyes seeing them attempting to play zombies, amateurs. “Dinners ready.”

“Okay Dae.” Michael said, his eyes glued to the TV still as he shot a crawler.

“Hey Caine, are you busy after school tomorrow?” Caine shrugged.

“I was going to go study with Lue, why?” I plopped down on the couch next to Derrick. He barely glanced my way.

“I’m going over to Lorraines and was wondering if you could help fix her gutter with me? Its pretty bad.” Derrick’s head turned to me, curiosity all over his face.

“Who’s Lorraine?” Michael chimed in.

“Some creepy old woman Dae met at-” He paused, knowing that I would kill him if he finished that sentence. “The grocery store.” I wanted to roll my eyes but Derrick was looking at me, I wanted him to believe that I really met her at the grocery store and not a cemetery.

“You do realize Lue will kill me if I ditch on her again, right?” Caine said, his voice filled with sorrow. I instantly felt bad because I knew that he would ditch Lue for me.

“I’ll do it.” I glanced over at Derrick who had just volunteered. He shrugged. “I mean, I fixed ours all the time because my parents refused to buy a new one, I can fix Lorraines too.” I was hesitant, but I nodded.

“It also needs to be cleaned.” He shrugged and smirked.

“I think I can handle that.”