Such Sweet Destruction

Something happens when the dark meets the light,

“I don’t like this,” the Ukrainian, Ivan, mutters. “This isn’t a good idea. She’s not ready.”

“Obviously Strucker thinks she is.” The American, Jason, counters. “Just wake her up, bring her back to the land of the living. The sooner we release her, the sooner Hydra will be in power. What are you so worried about Ivan?”

“Do you have any idea who trained her?” He questions.

“The Winter Soldier also trained countless people for the Red Room; what’s your point?”

“She’s powerful; nothing like the Red Room recruits or Black Widow.” Ivan tells his partner, “you haven’t see her in action; letting her loose doesn’t mean we win. There is a great chance her programming will fail.”

“What do you mean, fail?” Jason questions his partner angrily; getting in his face. “She can’t fail! She’s our back-up. Wasn’t she programmed the same way Barnes was?”

“Yes, but Barnes had amnesia when we brainwashed him,” Ivan explains, running his fingers through his greasy brown greying hair. “It was easier for us to keep him thinking what we wanted to. The only way his memories started coming back was when we kept him out of stasis for so long. Even then it was an easy fix.”

“Chernobyl should be an easier fix, shouldn’t she?”

“Are you stating that just because she’s a girl that she’ll be easier to contain and wrangle down?” Ivan narrows his eyes at the American. “She’s well trained and bested even the Soldier himself; she’s capable of anything.”

“Then why is she so different than the Soldier?”

“Because unlike Barnes, she remembers everything; even before the Disaster.” There is a worried look in Ivan’s eyes as he looks at the chamber, “she remembers everything we’ve ever done to her. The torture, the brainwashing; everything. We can block those memories for a little while, but sooner or later; she breaks.”

“How long is a while?” Jason asks, walking closer to the chamber. “Maybe we let her out and she does the mission quickly. We bring her back and lock her up again. That simple.”

“Nothing is that simple, Jason.” Ivan hisses, “the longest she was kept out was four days. And even then, it took several agents, the Soldier and a highly potent sleeping agent to take her down. We don’t have the force to keep her down anymore. Most of Hydra is dead or imprisoned and the Soldier is no where in sight. Now you see why I’m concerned?”

“You’re hiding something; this isn’t concern, this is protection.” Jason narrow his eyes at Ivan; getting closer to the aging man. “Wake the girl, Ivan. Chernobyl makes her debut. The sleeper agents on Capitol Hill are waiting for their time to shine.”

“But how will we take her down afterwards?”

“A bullet in the head will suffice, shouldn’t it?” Ivan’s hands ball up into fists at his sides. Jason takes note and a smirk appears on his lips. “Why are you protecting the girl, Ivan? Does Strucker know what she means to you? Just today you said you wanted to pull the plug on her. Why the sudden change of heart?”

“Rozorytysya, Jason.” Jason may not be familiar with the Ukrainian language, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know where Ivan told him to go.

Jason just laughs, “if you don’t have Chernobyl awake by the time I get back with her clothing and weapons, you’ll be the one with the bullet in the head.” Ivan watches as the American walks out of the building.

Turning on his heels, Ivan turns his attention back on the girl in the sleeping chamber. A sigh escapes as he looks at her pale white face void of tell-tale signs of aging. She hasn’t aged a bit in the 28 years she’s been gone. Her innocent looking face will be the world’s downfall. Because her innocent facade hides what she truly is; a weapon.

Despite his internally debate, Ivan turns goes to the control panel; pressing all the buttons he memorized, waking the sleeping beauty up. He watches Chernobyl’s face; waiting for her eyes to open. And soon enough, Ivan’s eyes are met with Chernobyl’s blue. His hand grabs a hold of the lever and pulls; opening the chamber, letting the girl free from her ice chambers…

**

“See Ivan, you worried for nothing.” Jason laughs as we watch Chernobyl get into her leather outfit. “She’s fine.”

“For now.” Ivan mutters, his eyes never leaving the girl in front of him.

“Where are we going?” Chernobyl asks. Her English is broken, very broken, while her Ukrainian accent is strong.

“We’re going to America.” Jason smiles, kindly.

“I always wanted to go!” Despite being a killing machine, the girl is also naive. Ivan never understood it. It’s like there is a switch hidden inside of her that switches at a moments notice turning her from a sweet, innocent girl to a crazed killer.

“Come on then, let’s get out of here.” Jason chuckles, grabbing Chernobyl’s hand, before walking away with the girl. Ivan is the few steps back from the pair. He knows this is a bad idea. Chernobyl might be the ultimate weapon; but how does one stop the ultimate weapon when they lose touch with reality?
♠ ♠ ♠
Chernobyl

after this I'm going back to first person, unless stated otherwise.