Status: And now I'm back, from outer space.

The Blind Diviner

Ten

Cosima’s smug smile fell from her face as she went down the steps and outside the yellow tape. She tried to get the scene out of her head. The elderly woman’s medicine not doing what it’s suppose to do anymore, the husband not noticing his wife like he use to. Nothing happened that morning out of the ordinary except that she snapped, the paranoia seeping into the woman’s mind until she was convinced her husband was plotting to kill her. Her actions were of someone mentally ill, not of the woman she once was. The husband did what he had to, he didn’t want to shoot her but he did.

”You like the blood, admit it.” Cosima snapped from her thoughts, trying focus on who had spoken to her.She looked around, no one to be seen.

The redness titillates your eyes, the smell attacks you.

She became frustrated, scanning through every person within reading distance, and yet no one had thought what was going through her head.

Let me show you. A stinging sensation erupted from the back of her thumb, She tugged her sleeve up, seeing a cut going down the length of it. Blood bubbling to the her skin's surface until it dripped over and onto the concrete below her.

It was then she realized who it was. That thing that was in her head, that had tried to kill her. The thing that hadn’t bothered her for a month until now. Why now? Why anything? She remembered what she had seen in her head at the hospital. She imagined those talons reaching out and slicing her skin. She remained calm on the outside but on the inside, she was beginning to think she was going crazy.

“Oh no, you’re bleeding.” Cosima looked over, seeing a tall and thin woman whose skin reminded her of coca. The only difference is that she seemed to glisten under the sun. She was easily one of the most beautiful people she had ever seen.

“I’m okay. Thanks though.” The woman shook her head, not accepting Cosima’s answer.

“No, I have a band-aid. Can’t refuse that or would you rather keep your bloody hand?” Even her smile had this radiance that would make anyone lose their train of thought for a moment.

“Uh, sure.” Cosima held out her hand to the woman, unable to keep herself from going into her head.

All Cosima could gather was her name was Bree and that she was light. Literally, it was like she was staring into the sun. Cosima covered her eyes blindly, shielding herself away when it because even more intense without warning. She had to shake the white light from her head, blinking profusely.

She looked back over, seeing Bree staring at her with concern. “Who are you?”

“My name is Bree?” She seemed concentrated on how Cosima was acting and stepped forward.

Cosima snatched the band-aid from her hand and strode away from her without another word, Wrapping the band-aid around her thumb, she caught up with Reed who had just left the brownstone.

“You’re right, at least so far.” Reed waved to Banner as he climbed into his car.

“I know. I always am.” Cosima looked over and saw Bree walking towards them.

“Hunter Reed?” Cosima couldn’t help but step behind Reed a bit when she stopped in front of them. It didn’t go without notice as Reed gave Cosima a bothered look by her action as he nodded to Bree’s question.

“Yeah, can I help you?” Reed looked at the girl in front of him, feeling like he was swallowing a heavy stone when he realized how beautiful she was.

“I’m Bree,” she held her hand out and Cosima focused in, and was met with not just the light from Bree’s mind but now Reed’s.

As they released hands, the light returned to just Bree’s mind. Cosima’s head ached like gravel was churning around in it. She felt like her eyes couldn’t focus properly and she kept herself behind Reed completely then, having to gather herself.

“I stopped by your station and was sent here. I’m with the FBI. I’m here concerning a case you worked a few months ago, the single suicide? The victim's name was Jennifer Larson.”

“I wasn’t aware FBI was going to dirty their hands with this case. I mean, it’s closed. It was was your standard suicide in terms of evidence. Can I ask why you’re taking interest?” Reed was trying very hard not to concentrate on Cosima hiding behind him like a scared child.

“There was two puncture marks on the woman’s arm in the coroner's report that raising almost identical similarities with at least six other suicides.” Cosima desperately wanted to pick this woman’s brain, she hated being locked out like this. Or whatever it was.

“Yes, I remember those. Our examiner concluded those were bite marks from an animal like a stray dog.”

“And while it could still be that simple, I’ve been sent to investigate. The FBI doesn’t like it when things line up like this. Your overseeing captain said you’d be more than happy to take me to the crime scene, if you don’t mind of course.”

’Only time I probably wouldn’t mind..’Cosima scoffed and then lightly shoved Reed when his thoughts turned sexual.

He turned a nasty look before answered to Bree. “Not at all. Let me just arrange a ride for my friend here.”

“That won’t be necessary,” Cosima interjected with a smile. “I’m sure I’ll be needed and I don’t mind tagging along.”

“No, let’s find you a ride.” Reed smiled tightly down at her.

“Nah, let’s go.” Cosima walked ahead to his car but was yanked back by her jacket next to Reed.

Reed waited until Bree was a few steps ahead of them before he leaned down to Cosima’s ear. “What the fuck is your problem? You’re cockblocking me.”

“I don’t trust this chick,” she hissed back to him, ripping his hand from her jacket. “I can’t read her mind.”

“So you really do see dead people?” Reed snipped, smirking.

“Don’t be an asshole, I’m being serious.” Cosima gave him a blank look until he caved in.

“Fine,” he grumbled.

Reed unlocked his car, allowing Bree to sit in the passenger’s seat. Cosima gladly took the back seat, her skull itching as her brain was like a battering ram trying to get to Bree’s unreadable mind. It was like trying to control a reflex, Cosima hadn’t ever encountered something like this before. And it scared the hell out of her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bree means 'higher power'. So she's named that for a reason.

And also the thing happens next chapter. Like, the thing. I know you don't know what it is but I'll say it kick starts the main plot for the story and I'm so happy I finally made it there. It'll start to answers until it just leads to more questions.

Thank you for the two comments! To who did comment, I appreciate them more than you will know, it made my day!

Remember to subscribe and comment!

Avec l'amour

Mel