Status: And now I'm back, from outer space.

The Blind Diviner

Twelve

The hardest thing Cosima does everyday is trying not to think of her family. A smell, an object, multiple things trigger a thought of her parents everyday and as soon as it presents itself, she shuts it out. Nothing could bring Cosima a greater pain than having to remember what had happen to her parents. Because people think that the greatest pain is physical when really it is guilt.

So when Bree was telling Cosima that this altered version of herself would cause the most pain imaginable for her if she were to be caught, Cosima couldn’t believe her because she had already lived it. Shivani was the name that Bree had told her, the beast with the scaled and scarred skin. She came from an Earth that had been ruined thousands of years ago from war and pollution. It now was just this vase escape for hell and his creatures to squander in. It birthed the most vile and unbecoming beings the universe could think up and spit out. It’s only purpose in life was to kill. Bree would repeat this to Cosima a million times to make her understand. Nothing, not a miraculous breakthrough of understanding wouldn’t save anyone’s life. They wanted to kill. They needed it.

“It’s very human to try and fix things. They don’t want to be fixed because they don’t think they are broken.” Bree told Cosima later that day.
“So what, I’m being hunted by this thing?” Cosima asked, massaging her scalp to try and rid of the headache she had.

“You and all the other versions of you.” Bree stressed, running her hands over each other in habit.

“There must be thousands of me, more.” Cosima tried to think of how many of her were and how different from each other they had to be.

“This is where I explain another thing to you,” Bree started but Cosima waved her off.

“No, please, just no.” Cosima was overwhelmed with information, she couldn’t take it anymore.

“It’s important though.” Bree straightened up in her chair more, seeming unsettled.

“Everything has been important! My brain is going to explode if you try and explain anything else to me, I mean it. No more for today.” Cosima put her foot down on the conversation, swing her legs from her bed.

“Now let me walk around.” Bree sighed and agreed to walk Cosima around the halls.

“Would you like to visit your friend?” Bree asked, referring to Reed.

“No, I’m sure he’s fine. And he’s not my friend.” Cosima frowned slightly, feeling as if the more she says it maybe it will be true because it was looking more and more like they were becoming friends.

“Huh,” Bree chuckled a little. “It’s funny you say that because he was wondering how you were doing.”

“Reed suffers from a guilty conscious, I do not.” Cosima said plainly.

“Fair enough.” Bree surrendered, coming up to a large lookout.

Cosima stopped next to her, looked out the expansive window. It was a blue lagoon sort of water that reached far over the horizon. It was odd, usually the bright water would be towards the shore as it was shallow but the water was dark as it crashed against the cliff edges thousands of miles below. The water looked bright and shallow after a while.

“It for protection,” Bree answered, hearing Cosima’s wandering thoughts. “We have these serpents beings that don’t exist on your Earth. They’re trained to protect the coast. You could compare them to I guess the size of a blue whale but with the head of-oh what is it called- an eel and the body of a boa. They’re hard to describe but they are quite pleasant if you’re on their good side.”

“They sound hideous.” Cosima grimaced at the picture in her head.

“They are but they keep us safe. A large abyss was dug back when this, what you would call country, was discovered. They are the same family of Kusauna’s that have been used since the beginning.”

“Kusauna?” Cosima asked.

“What they’re called. It means serpent angels or at least that’s what I’ve been told. Kind of contradictory sounding if you ask me.” Bree shrugged, turning towards the hall to the left before anything was heard or seen.

Cosima listened hard but didn’t hear anything physical or mentally until she saw the man that was aiding her when she had woken turn around the corner, looking down at a stack of papers tentatively. He suddenly looked up to Bree, an eyebrow raised.

“If I would have known that I would had no wandered.” He said, folding his arms behind his back casually.

“That’s okay,” Bree shrugged. “I wanted to formally introduce Cosima to you.”

Cosima could sense some sort of connection, it was a tingly feeling. Like a very low current running through the air. And Cosima also noticed that Bree had no issues constantly being inside her head because was quick to answer her.

“I can talk to him like I can talk to you. Emery cannot talk back to me with a mind though, only vocally. It’s a one way circuit. He isn’t like us in that sense.” Cosima nodded in understanding, it didn’t answer the feeling in the air though.

Earlier Cosima couldn’t see an aura around Emery or read anything off of him but now it was all exposed to her. It was hard to visualize because she could only see it when the sunlight glanced off of it. It had the surface of what a bubble might look like, a mix of colors in this plasma flux. It was unlike anything she had seen before and by the time Cosima would see on side, it would change.

“It nice to properly meet you.” Cosima saw a hand held out to her and she quickly shook it.

As she released his hand and Bree continued talking, she noticed that his eyes had darkened considerably to almost black. Another thing that had happened is that Emery would not make eye contact with her, his hands that had become clutched around the papers he had rolled up were now rimmed with white knuckles.

“I’m hoping to let you get some fresh air soon though, I know that you could use it.” Cosima brought her attention back to Bree, who had been saying something to her before this.

“I would appreciate it.” Cosima couldn’t help but look back over to Emery, whose eyes had returned to normal color but was still strangling the papers in his hands.

Cosima found herself being led away with a hand on her back, Bree rolling her eyes. “Reed is demanding to see you. I don’t think we can escape seeing him any longer I’m afraid.”

“I suppose we go see him then instead.” Cosima replied lightly but couldn’t get Emery’s dark eyes out of her mind though, nor the voltaic feeling that had sudden dissipated after leaving him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll kind of throw some things out there that are of course fiction but in reality I have no idea if Kusauna actually means anything or is a word. Oh well, that's what's writing is all about, making shit up.

Character info for Emery is up.

Comment/Subscribe/Rec

I would LOVE a comment! Let me know I still have all you lovely readers along with me.

Avec l'amour

Mel