Status: And now I'm back, from outer space.

The Blind Diviner

Fourteen

Cosima stood facing a wall of glass, the book clutched against her chest as she watched a storm running the waves into the cliff side below. She had grown more tense over the past two days of being here. She had since been moved from the recovery room she was in and into small room of her own.
Reed still hadn’t fully come around to the situation, remaining ever a delight as he has been. He had been primarily in the room he had been moved into after Cosima. She knew he wandered the halls though, it was no different than hearing stomps in the night from his rampant thoughts. Cosima would visit him when he cooled down some, until then, she would focus on the book.

She had read as much as she could but there was so much and she realized the book wasn’t by just one person but multiple people. Scrawled writings littered the printed pages of the book. She was currently trying to process the things she read, all of it was hugely overwhelming and daunting.

According to what she’s gathered, Cosima is a seedling amongst flowers. There was so much untapped in her, she didn’t know how to even begin. Surely, she would go to Bree and ask her what to do but she had a feeling Bree would tell her to figure it out for herself, that it would be the only way. The book states that not one of them are the same, that each one is divine. Hence the name that was used over and over again, a Diviner.

A crack of lightning struck in the distance but Cosima stood unfazed by how violent the storm was becoming until she felt a steaming presence quickly coming up on her. She already knew it was Reed, he was beside himself. Anger. Confusion. And then there was just smallest fraction of amazement.

“This is goddamn bullshit.” He was next to her, throwing his hands up in the air.

“It’s interesting,” Cosima slowly said, knowing she was in denial that she wasn’t in her home.

“Interesting? Being blasted in the middle of fucking nowhere on some strange ass mimic Earth is interesting? Have you lost your fucking mind? This is terrible! What are we suppose to do here?”

Cosima gave Reed a side eye of annoyance. “You’re being a little dramatic.”

“No, I’m being reasonable!” He turned fully towards her, jamming his finger into his chest as he spoke. “I’m over how hot that Bree chick is.”

Cosima scoffed and rolled her eyes. “You realize how much a douchey statement that is? Chick?
Hot? She’s not an object, Reed.”

“Are-are we the aliens here?” He questioned, wonderment and fear in his voice, completely ignoring Cosima’s retort.

“Okay,” Cosima snapped. “I think you need some time to yourself.”

Cosima walked away, leaving Reed who had no intention of being left in this place alone any longer. He jogged to catch up with her quick strides, taking notice to the book she was clinging to. It looked old and slightly important.

“What’s this?” He asked, reaching towards it.

Cosima swung the book away from him, almost looking offended by how intrusive he was being. He reached again but more carefully. Again, Cosima turned away and walked around him to get away from him. The more Cosima resisted to show him what the book was, the more curious Reed got until finally she put her foot down.

“Will you quit it! Obviously I don’t want you to look at it!” She huffed, sneering slightly at him as she rushed forward.

“Just let me see it! What is so important about some dusty old book?” Reed questioned, still wanting to snatch it from her but decided it was probably best to keep a slight distance.

Cosima ignored him, looking down at some of the pages that stuck up taller than the other pages, and the some that were coming loose from the binding. Then she got the sense she was about to run into something and flashed her eyes forward to not see anything. At least there was nothing until Emery appeared around the corner and Cosima stopped in her tracks, almost causing Reed to run into her.

“Watch it.” Reed jumped back from running into Cosima, moving around her, but she yanked him into an empty room next to them.

He followed her gaze just out the door and further down the hall to the guy that came into his room while Bree was explaining everything to him the other day. He didn’t say anything. He had just stood there silently until he left. Though every so often he made a face like he was talking to someone. Reed concluded he was as strange as anyone else around him and wasn’t a threat.

“Who are you looking at?” He said a little too loudly for Cosima’s liking.

He watched her face turn a little red before she whipped around and shushed him. “Why don’t you just shout it? Jesus, Reed!”

Reed quirked a brow at her reaction, never seeing Cosima shy away like this before. So he smirked and strode out of the room ahead of her. By the time Cosima realized what he was doing, it was too late to yank him back next to her. She bolted from the room and back around the corner of the hall, listening carefully through Reed’s head what he was going to say.

“Hey! I never got your name. You were pretty quiet when I saw you.” Cosima closed her eyes, seeing through Reed as Emery glanced up, looking around as if to see if Reed was really talking to him.

“It’s Emery.” His voice was steady and suspicious.

“I’m Reed. Hunter Reed.” He stuck his hand out and Emery looked at it with a questioning gaze before shaking it.

Cosima couldn’t study his aura through Reed’s eyes and it was frustrating her. She settled to just listening to the conversation, Reed asking some bullshit question about losing his way back to his room.

“It’s back down the hall, to the left and then a little further down. If you’d like, I could walk you back and show the way, if that would help?”

“Oh, no. Don’t worry about it, man.” Reed knew he was only offering out of common courtesy but it didn’t take someone like Cosmia or Bree to see that he was uncomfortable. He looked behind him and saw Cosima was nowhere to be found and he almost laughed to himself.

‘Coward.’

Cosima shrugged, accepting that, yes, she is in fact a coward. There was something about Emery that made her not uneasy necessarily, but like there was something about him that she couldn’t catch. She could tell he wasn’t like her or Bree. So what was he?

“There you are.” Reed caught her lost in thought, satisfied to see her jump.

“You’re an asshole.” Her mouth formed into a tight, unamused line.

“You’re the one with the schoolgirl crush,” he laughed. “I don’t blame you. If I were batting for the other team I’d be on it.”

Cosima looked back at him and made a face. “A crush? What am I, twelve?”

“You ran away like you were.” Reed clarified as they walked back into the hall, seeing her grind her teeth together in anger.

‘Strange. So strange.’

Cosima turned, for a split second thinking it was Reed who was thinking but her heart skipped a beat when she made eye contact with Emery, who didn’t look fazed by being caught looking at her. He coolly turned away and suddenly Cosima couldn’t read anything he was thinking once again.

“What the hell?” She shook her head.

“What’d I miss?” Reed saw Emery walking down the other end of the hall.

“Nothing you’d understand,” Cosima replied absentmindedly.

“Well if you’d explain it I might.” Reed was a little ruffled by Cosima’s dismissal.

“I need to go see Bree,” Cosima returned to reality. “Be a big boy and go wander off by yourself somewhere, mkay?”

Reed didn’t think of anything snippy to say back to Cosima before she was out of sight. He just grunted and went off by himself. Cosima on the other hand found herself confused by Emery for the second time. There was something completely off about him and she was hoping Bree would know why.
♠ ♠ ♠
I edited this a little bit but it's still the same, really. Recently got back into this story, it's been a lifetime and more buuuuut here I am *jazz hands*.

Like my other story(s), I will update when I can. I can't guarantee that this will jump right back into something like once a week. It'll probably be more like once every two weeks or something. BUT the point is I'll start doing updates again, yeah?

Thanks for sticking with me. (Unless you've completely forgotten what this story is and kind of squinted at the notification of it being updated and though 'what the eff is this?' It's cool. It happens.)

Remember to..

Comment/Rec/Sub

-Mel