Status: And now I'm back, from outer space.

The Blind Diviner

Two

It had been a long three weeks for Cosima and the mysterious shop break ins hadn’t stopped. Always the same thing. Come in at 8 o’clock in the morning to find things moved. Move things back, open for the day, close and repeat. She hadn’t called to report it again because of the fruitless result and didn’t like being belittled when she could help it. She can only figure if they aren’t causing any actual harm to her, stealing things or breaking them, it could be a problem she could just live with. So with this resolution coming to her mind over the past days, she continued as she would be.

“I think something bad is going to happen to me.” Beverly Parker, a middle aged paranoid regular of Cosima was doing her second visit this week.

“I’ve told you many times Beverly, I’ve seen nothing of concern for you.” Cosima didn’t see any comfort come to her face and prepared herself to “read” her.

No one would actually really believe that Cosima could read people and their minds. That she could tell every moment from their past and future with a quick focused thought, like a flick of the wrist. She had to have the prop factor, the cheesy crystal ball and dimly lit reading room. The only lie there was is that sometimes Cosima didn’t have the heart to tell people what was really going to happen to them or if she did, she’d be sued for sure. She’d lost count of worried or curious people coming in, expecting a fun reading when really Cosima sees that they die in two weeks or that they’ll go bankrupt in a few years. Their spouse will cheat on them or that the baby they’re expecting will turn into a miscarriage. All the horrible things that happen to people and none of her customers would want to hear any of that, only the good.

“Remember to have calm energy, Beverly.” Cosima smiled slightly to her, taking her hands gently

Beverly hadn’t had a horrible life, although her paranoia would suggest otherwise. Her childhood had its normal up and downs, the parents nice and lovely. Futurewise, Beverly wouldn’t have anything to worry about until she was seventy-five and dies from a nasty form of brain cancer. But for now, the only worry she will have is that her Thursday shows won’t record because of the electric fusing out for a few hours in her neighborhood.

“Well? What it is, anything?” Cosima could sometimes get lost in other people’s lives and memories.

“No.” Cosima gave Beverly’s hands a squeeze before she let them go. “Just make sure you have other options than watching your shows this Thursday. The power will go out.”

“The damn city won’t quit messing with those power lines down the street from mine. One of these days though my paranoia will prove right though, just you be careful when you break whatever it maybe to me.”

Cosima gave a courtesy laugh as she rang Beverly up, charging her for the reading. “It’ll be the usual, Beverly.

“Of course, dear.” Beverly handed her the money and then in the next moment left the shop.
Cosima watched her walk along the busy sidewalk. Her door chimed and she readied herself for another person to see into.
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscribe! Comment! Don't be shy!

Avec l'amour

Mel