‹ Prequel: Beyond
Status: Last story in the Avidity trilogy.

Sinister

Savage

Shoving the muzzle under her jaw, I expected Charlotte to cower. But apparently the fear of being shot through bone and flesh didn't bother her. Instead, she fixed me with a look that I could only describe as savage.

She wasn't afraid of me.

She was pissed, angry, and determined.

My fingers slipped around the cell phone, and when I pressed it into her hand, she merely stared at me, her expression hard. Charlotte swept her long auburn hair over her shoulder, her hazel eyes watching me, and then she spoke.

"What do you want me to tell him?"

She understood the severity of the situation, as I hoped she would. She would cooperate, or I would put the gun to her head and pull the trigger.

"We're at Plainview Motel, room 13. He has an hour, or you will never seen him again. Is that clear, detective?"

Her eyes were fixed on the gun still, but she nodded.

Then she dialed.

"Scott." Her voice shook. Wonderful. "No, I'm okay, but he has my gun. Scott, listen. He wanted me to tell you that we're at Plainview Motel, room 13. You have an hour to get here." Her eyes held mine and now she looked scared. "Please hurry."

When Charlotte ended the call, her eyes filled with tears.

I stood and threw a jacket onto her lap. "We're going to take a trip, to Plainview Lake." When she didn't respond, I smirked. "Did I forget to mention that Scott would eventually find your body out there? Your cause of death would be a simple drowning. Now move."