‹ Prequel: Beyond
Status: Last story in the Avidity trilogy.

Sinister

Monster

It was two days later, and many cups of coffee consumed, that they let me go. I flew back to New York that morning and as I headed to the precinct, I wondered what my colleagues would say about Scott. Of course they'd want details, and I could only give them the edited version, the lie.

To say that I killed my partner without batting an eye, because he could have easily ratted me out for murder before I even became a detective, would disgust them. They wouldn't see someone who wanted to keep the criminals off the streets; they would see a monster right in front of them.

A monster like John Hayes.

I stifled a laugh. We were nothing alike. In his whole life, he's killed almost ten people, whereas I've killed two. One who deserved it, and the other, well, he had to die. He would have destroyed my career, if I let him live with the knowledge of what I'd done.

My hand rested on the door to the precinct, and as I looked inside, I felt a twinge of something deep in my bones. A man caught me staring and waved me in. I stepped inside and shut the door behind me.

"Detective Mason," someone called. I knew that voice. "It's good to have you back. I'm sorry to hear about Scott. That must have been awful for you. I can't believe that bastard made you —I'm just sorry, Charlotte."

I set my face into an expression that hopefully resembled pain, and turned around to face Ray Hansen.

"Thank you," I said softly.

As I walked, I received many condolences. All of their sad faces and strong words were too much. Once I got into my office, I closed the door and locked it. Leaning against the wood, I felt a sudden tightness in my chest.

When I lifted my head, I felt bile rise in my throat.

He looked exactly the same as he had two days ago. Except he was sitting in my chair, his body bent forward, over my desk. His collar was undone, but the wound remained, deep in his chest, the blood dipping onto the wood.

"Oh God," I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
I could end the story here, but I know that might upset people.