‹ Prequel: Beyond
Status: Last story in the Avidity trilogy.

Sinister

Denial

My vision blurred as I stared at the gun. The physical threat of John was gone, but there was still my cracking sanity, looming, twisting and dark. Soon it would shatter. Soon I would be like all those dead bodies.

"Are you afraid?" Scott asked, then laughed. "I was. I was terrified when you shot me. I couldn't believe you'd ever do something like that."

"It was John," I said, staring at the floor.

The scent of decay was nauseating.

"Of course. It's always been about John." Scott's fingers touched my skin. "You've always been attracted to darkness, Charlotte. I tried to ignore it so many times, but after you fired that gun, I couldn't any longer. You wanted John, didn't you Just like Eden. I don't blame you, there was something about him."

"I don't know what you—"

"You wanted his cheek against your thigh, your legs around his waist. You wanted him inside you. I saw it on your face every single time you looked over the case, or even that night, right before I died. You would have fucked him next to my corpse if you had the chance."

Bile rose in my throat at his words.

"You should have died," he whispered harshly. "Not me." When he smiled, he truly looked deranged. "But don't worry. I'm going to make sure you end up exactly where you belong — with a hole in your goddamn skull."
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this update was way overdue, but I wanted to thank you guys for still being subscribed. I'll try to figure out the rest of this story too, I promise.