‹ Prequel: Beyond
Status: Last story in the Avidity trilogy.

Sinister

Darkness

Scott knew what was in my heart. Even dead and rotting, he knew.

There was a darkness, something so twisted that I never saw it until it was too late. Until I'd taken a life. Again.

John knew it was only a matter of time. He knew me, or seemed to think that he did.

He thought I was like him—a killer. And perhaps I was, because two bodies were still a lot. But they were nothing compared to how many people he had killed.

He did it out of pleasure.

I did it because I didn't have a choice.

"You had a choice." A voice in my ear. His voice. His scent. The scent of death.

"No," I cried. "Scott, I didn't. I don't."

He stared at me, the smell of blood strong as he poured from the wound in his chest. But that couldn't happen. He wasn't real. This wasn't real.

I shut my eyes.

"Charlotte."

Oh God, no.

I opened my eyes, saw her there, against the wall. She looked the same as she did the last time I had seen her, except for one difference: there was a knife sticking out of her neck, blood dripping steadily onto the collar of her shirt.

It wasn't pouring like Scott's wound. Because it was older.

She was my first.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I have no clue if any of my subscribers/readers even remember this story. It's been a long, long time since I last updated.