‹ Prequel: Beyond
Status: Last story in the Avidity trilogy.

Sinister

Part

I found another victim rather quickly; she was leaning against the window of a store, completely unaware of the danger she was in. I wondered if she heard about the waitress. If she had, then she surely wouldn't be out this late.

I approached quietly. "Hello," I said.

She looked at me, startled at first, then her pretty face morphed into a smile. "Hello," she replied. "I haven't seen you around here much. Are you new in town?"

Her trust in a stranger sickened me, but it helped me play my part of the polite, safe man.

"You've seen me before," I answered. "What's your name?"

"Hannah." Then she pulled out a cigarette and lit it, watching the smoke curl into the air, then disappear. "And you are?"

"John," I told her.

"So, John." She said my name in a husky sort of way, one that she probably used on all of the men she met. "What are you doing here?"

"Here?"

"In Denver," she said. "There's not much here but a lot of diners."

"Oh, haven't you heard?" I asked. I hoped my face transformed into one of worry. "There was a murder at the local diner."

Hannah's eyes went wide and she coughed. "Oh my God. Really? Do you know what happened?"

"One of the waitresses was killed. I think her name was Jenna Castor."

Hannah shook her head. "That's awful. I knew Jenna. She was really sweet. Who would want to do something like this to her?"

"Someone vicious," I responded. When Hanna turned her attention elsewhere, I smirked. "Would you like me to walk you home? It's not safe out here."

"Okay." She nodded. She dug her phone out of her bag. "I have to call — "

I snatched the phone from her hand and crushed it beneath my boot. Then I grinned and grabbed her by the wrist, hard. Her whimper only thrilled me.

I pulled her into the alley between the buildings. I slammed her into the brick wall so hard that she cried out. God, the sound was beautiful. When I pressed my mouth to hers, she fought. Smart girl. Hannah's fingers clawed at my face.

Then I gripped her throat, my body on fire.

"Don't do that," I commanded. Then I shook her. "Apologize for ruining my face." The blood dripped down my cheek.

But she was silent, staring at me in the most horrific way.

"Say it!" I shouted.

Hannah closed her eyes, her whole body trembling as she whispered, "I'm sorry I hurt you, John. I'm sorry, please let me go."

"I can't," I said, leaning into her hair. It smelled like vanilla. It captured my brain momentarily, and then I regained myself.

She never saw the knife.