‹ Prequel: Beyond
Status: Last story in the Avidity trilogy.

Sinister

Shiver

He lowered the gun, the smoke still curling from the muzzle. I watched as it evaporated into the dark sky and shivered. I'd thought he was going to shoot me. But John Hayes was too good, too creative, for a simple execution style.

"There. He should be here soon."

"How do you even know he's at the lake already?" I asked.

John gave me a look. "He wouldn't have wasted any time getting here, after your call. That was a marvelous performance by the way. Your desperation is such a turn on, darling."

I was going to tell him to fuck off when the voice —his voice— called to me again. I moved to stand, to tell him that I was here. But John was faster. He sent another shot into the woods, hoping to stop Scott.

"No!" I shouted.

John slammed the gun into my face and I went down, just as a voice shouted my name, and I heard a thud and a groan. I turned my head, wincing.

Scott had tackled John, hands around his throat. John, teeth clenched, threw Scott from him and took out a second gun, which he aimed at me.

"John, don't." My voice trembled.

"Kill him, or I kill you," John hissed.

Scott was still crouched on the ground, his eyes wide. He watched with horror as my hand moved toward him, gun shaking, finger on the trigger.

"Charlotte, what the fuck are you doing?"

I shut my eyes briefly. "I've been keeping something from you, I'm sorry."

"Whatever it is, I don't care. Charlotte, shoot him, goddamnit."

"Tell him," John said, smirking. "Tell him what you're capable of. What you did. Tell him about the blood on your hands."

I was crying now, looking between the two of them.

I dropped the gun and fell to my knees.

"I killed someone," I said softly.

"Charlotte, its okay. We've all had to do that in this line of work."

"No, Scott, it was before."

My voice betrayed me.

There was nothing but silence for a long time. Then John cleared his throat. "I think your girlfriend is trying to say is that she liked what she did. Isn't that right?"

"Yes," I whispered. My picked up the gun and pointed it at Scott. "I'm so sorry, but I can't have you tell anyone. I can't lose everything over this."

The night was shattered by a third gunshot.