‹ Prequel: Beyond
Status: Last story in the Avidity trilogy.

Sinister

Crashed

Overhead, thunder rumbled. When it started to rain, I watched the water come crashing down, soaking Scott's body, the blood from his wound seeping into the mud. I slipped into a crouch and reached out to touch his hair.

"You know you can't live with what you've done," John said softly. "You've got a lot of blood on your hands. There's only one way to get rid of the guilt."

Oh, I understood. John thought he was smart enough to be my conscious, to trick me into suicide. After he spoke so quietly in my ear, I heard the gun click. Then the muzzle was pressed against my temple.

I closed my eyes and lifted my hand, replacing John's, to hold the gun. It was still warm from when I fired a round into my partner's chest.

"You truly are a bastard, aren't you?" I yelled over the rain.

John's fingers gripped my hair and he turned my head so that I had no choice but to look at him. Then he crashed his lips against mine. My hand that held the gun trembled, and I moved it away from my head.

And placed it against his.

"The devil is waiting for me," he said.

Then he put his hand over mine and pulled the trigger.
♠ ♠ ♠
There will be a few more chapters.